standing Charge

tigger2
tigger2 Posts: 39 Forumite
New to this and sorry if this has already been mentioned.

With all the differant tariffs etc I was wondering if there is any merit in changeing before winter to a standing charge tarif then swapping back in the spring? This way you get a lower tarif for the high use period. Is this allowed? is it worth it?

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Thinking of doing this with Powergen, tho with me Equigas with no standing charge is £40 pa cheaper anyway.
    You would have to be well on the ball.Of the two Age concern tariffs with Powergen, the one with no standing charge is dearer in the winter.
    Agree with you, whilst there is competition, use 'em.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tigger2 wrote:
    New to this and sorry if this has already been mentioned.

With all the differant tariffs etc I was wondering if there is any merit in changeing before winter to a standing charge tarif then swapping back in the spring? This way you get a lower tarif for the high use period. Is this allowed? is it worth it?

You'd need to switch companies too as you can bet internal changes won't be allowed. However, you are looking at this the wrong way around. For gas, being on a no standing charge *tiered* rate in summer when you won't use all the higher units saves money (you don't pay all the hidden standing charge) as long as higher units are not carried over. With electric it makes little difference as you pretty much always use the higher tier.
    Like the previous poster I am now with Ebico for gas and elec, and it works out cheaper for me.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income