Current Account Switching Service Issues

Hi All,

I identified a gap in consumer support for Current Account Switching Service. I had an issue with a salary payment after switching accounts. As per all of the guidance available I contacted my new bank - RBS.

To cut a long story short RBS repeatedly refused to investigate the switching service despite significant escalation of the issue including to management of the Switching Team. I gave up on any hope of getting support via the new bank and started digging into the switching service itself.

Information on the service was pretty much buried. However, I eventually identified that BACS deliver the service. Eventually I spoke with the CEO of Vocallink who intervened with RBS on my behalf, as well as making introductions to CASS which it turns out is a separate organisation owned by its member banks.

RBS due to the 3rd party intervention had to admit that they had not followed not only CASS processes, but also their own internal processes. The excuse supplied was that their switching team did not know the switching process. Yes, they have actually stated that in the closure letter offering compensation.

Where it gets interesting is where there is an issue with the CASS process and the bank and CASS refuse to assist. The Financial Ombudsman can only investigate the bank. This leave the consumer badly exposed. If CASS say no then the consumer is snookered.

However, there is another organisation that appears to sit within the FCA. However, they are almost impossible to communicate with. Even the team at the FCA tasked to field their calls did not know they existed.

The organisation is the Payment System Regulator. Even on their website the list of Payment Systems they regulate does not mention CASS. However, they are responsible for CASS too.

The system of regulation falls down though. PSR rely on complaint numbers from CASS to assess the performance of the switching service rather than loking at complaint stats on switching issues from the Financial Ombudsman. Registering a complaint with CASS requires knowing they exist and where to find their complaint form.

Here are links to the pertinent organisations should you find yourself being blanked by your new bank.

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/Pages/ContactUs.aspx
https://www.psr.org.uk/

Comments

• I'm sure there is a question in there somewhere.

I would have thought the salary would have been delayed by a maximum of one day if the CASS had been used - are you sure you did a full switch not partial?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Col_Jessop wrote: »
    I identified a gap in consumer support for Current Account Switching Service. I had an issue with a salary payment after switching accounts. As per all of the guidance available I contacted my new bank - RBS.

To cut a long story short RBS repeatedly refused to investigate the switching service despite significant escalation of the issue including to management of the Switching Team. I gave up on any hope of getting support via the new bank and started digging into the switching service itself.
    My understanding is that under CASS rules, the receiving bank is solely liable for resolving any issues relating to a switch - that's not to say that in the real world they discharge that responsibility adequately, but that's what FOS is there for (from a customer's perspective at least).

To the best of my knowledge any other organisations involved behind the scenes aren't intended to provide any end-user customer support, because their direct customers are the banks, so "digging into the switching service itself" and then chasing around after various other bodies was IMHO both unnecessary and ultimately probably counterproductive....
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So you received your salary and have been offered compensation ? No more digging needed I assume. Your new bank should deal with any CASS issues, if they don't, log a complaint with them, if you're still not happy, go to the FOS. That's the correct procedure to follow. There is no gap for consumer support.
  • I see the Financial Sectors paid help are rallying to try and defend the indefensible. Perhaps if I use a simpler vocabulary.

The Finance Sector view the compensation advised by the FOS as a cost of doing business. This means they make a commercial decision based on cost to the business.

From this experience it looks like the banks are happy not to investigate issues with the Current Account Switching Process and instead bounce customers to fix the issues themselves manually.

The Current Acount Switching Service Guarantee offers only this when it goes wrong and it certainl does go wrong - "Refund you for any missed payments or fees incurred as a result of your switch."

Currently it looks like the bank are not taking responsibility for the Current Account Switching Service and are telling customers to sort out the switching failures themselves manually.

That takes time and effort and incurrs costs. Add to the standard practice in the financial sector of making it more and more dificult to record a formal complaint. Despite speaking to a number of senior managers and even c-level teams I was not provided with a complaint reference number. The FOS provide a complaint reference number at the first point of contact without request. Essentially false reporting on complaints by the banks and as stated across the finance sector.

Vocallink's CEO immediately recognised the failure and expressed concern for their own operations. Anyone with a basic understanding of ITIL knows that issues and process gaps cannot be fixed unless the issues with the system are flagged to the people that can investigate and fix the issues, close the process gaps.

The process as stated in RBS and The Current Account Switching Service's own switching guide is absolutely clear. Where there are issues you contact the new bank / building society and they are responsible for investigation the issue. Vocallink were quite clear. Any issue raised with a bank should be passed to them through the Customer Service Group liason and The Current Account Switching Service. That is failing to happen.

RBS's bizarre reason for this was that their dedicated switching team were unaware of the process.

When this was raised with CASS along with further concerns about a chasm in their own switching process that is being flagged to the Payment Systems regulator, they quickly went into hiding. The matter was closed and they would no longer communicate on the matter.

Their lack of response could not be raised with FOS as it is outwith their remit. They cannot investigate CASS, just the bank / building society.

The upshot of this is that The Current Account Switching Service has some very basic procedural issues. The banks are failing to offer the service they promise when they are offering the new current account. This leaves consumers exposed to all manner of issues and a very real headache in terms of sorting out the issues. The first they will know about it is when someone they owe money to challenges them for non-payment or when their salary payment fails to be processed.

The bank will treat their compensation payment as a cost of doing business. The level of compensation awarded will not cover the issues or costs of sorting out the issues.

Ultimately the Current Account Switching Service issues will not be investigated never mind fixed or improved as they will be unaware of the issues as the bank has decided it is more cost effective to bounce the consumer.

Here is the Current Account Switching Service sales pitch to consumers - "The Current Account Switch Service makes switching your current account simple, reliable and stress-free."

Here is the call to action should you have issues with the switching service - "If there is a problem with your switch you should contact the bank or building society that you are switching to." - perhaps they should add "........and the bank will in turn do absolutely nothing to resolve the issue."

Hence the reason for the post. The bank will shut up shop at the first contact regarding a switching issue. They will then deny any issue and try to front it out knowing that the worst they will have to fork out is a token compnesation payment for anyone keen enough to take them to task on their failure to follow their own processes.

They are effectively pushing the cost of an issue of their making back onto the consumer and the other impacted parties...employers, businesses, etc.

We need to either extend the remit of FOS to investigate issues with CASS. Or we need to get genuine meaningful analysis and reporting of complaints regarding CASS somehow to the Payment Systems Regulator. For some reason they have opted to make themselves as uncontactable as possible.

Bizarre that anyone would argue against this - can only assume the posters concerned are not consumers and are paid help for the finance sector.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is the OP an alter ego of Peter Baker? Most normal people don't have either the time to write such lengthy posts about trivialities or to get so worked up about something that nobody else is really bothered about.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    Despite speaking to a number of senior managers and even c-level teams I was not provided with a complaint reference number. The FOS provide a complaint reference number at the first point of contact without request.
    It's because you chose not to follow the defined process that you failed to get a complaint registered properly!
    We need to either extend the remit of FOS to investigate issues with CASS.
    It already has the remit to deal with CASS-related issues, by being the defined point of escalation if the receiving bank doesn't resolve your problem! It's hardly their fault that you chose to embark on a wild goose chase around a number of organisations that aren't directly responsible for addressing complaints experienced by a consumer - why didn't you contact FOS as soon as RBS let you down?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perhaps if I use a simpler vocabulary.

This made me laugh :)
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I've used the CASS twice now, and it's all gone smoothly, and exactly as it's supposed to. In both cases (and I know MSE warns there is a risk it may not happen) I also had my new cards and PINs before the switch date.

One of them was switching away from RBS, after banking with them since I was a teenager, despite me asking three times, they refused to give me a contactless card, and their account paid no interest. Today I have 3 current accounts (2 involving CASS) all with contactless, interest etc. Personally I just think RBS has poor customer service, and a poor "regular" current account. I had their reward account for 4 months, but got a letter advising me that the rewards were likely to be lower than the fees. Guess in that instance it didn't pay to be careful in my spending!
  • Still missing the point. The banks are treating small compensation awards relating to switching errrors as a cost of doing business.

There is a complaint with FOS. They can only investigate the bank and cannot investigate the CASS. PSR only seek complaint information from CASS, which results in a big tick in the box despite complaints not being passed to CASS by the banks.

If it helps you to understand, I have actually managed to make contact with the PSR and they immediately understood the issue. It would seem that the paid help on here and the organisations creating the issue are the only ones that can't see the issue.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    If it helps you to understand, I have actually managed to make contact with the PSR and they immediately understood the issue. It would seem that the paid help on here and the organisations creating the issue are the only ones that can't see the issue.

There is no 'paid help on here' Colonel. You do have a vivid imagination.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure