Not Able To Cancel Order

emperorstevee
emperorstevee Posts: 121 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hello everyone,

Around mid day, today I purchased something on Ebay. However, within minutes I decided that I did not want it and did went to cancel the order as I have with other sellers in the past successfully. However, the seller had immediately marked it as dispatched, before it would have been physically possible to have it dispatched. This meant that I was unable to request a simple cancellation. I felt like this was intentional. When I used to sell on Ebay I'd only mark something as dispatched once it had been dispatched Instead, I immediately sent two messages to the seller to ask to cancel and then I contacted Ebay support and they gave me the seller's phone number as the seller didn't respond to the messages (but had already left me feedback). The man on the line said that "robots" had already automatically packed and packaged the parcel. I don't believe that they would have done this in the literal several minutes between my order and sending them a message, let alone actually dispatching it.

Rather than simply returning my money and relisting his item, he would allow the shipment to commence even though I had told him that I don't want the item to be sent off, before he had sent it off. I would then have to pay recorded delivery to send it back to receive a refund. I don't want to have to pay to send it back by recorded delivery, he could just not send it out to begin with!

What is my best course of action?

Thank you

Comments

• Every single day just before my mail leaves, one or two orders will come in and go out immediately. There's a point in the day when mail leaves and there will be a constant flow of orders. What you believe is or isn't possible doesn't really have any relevance. If it's a business seller, they will stand to loose the outgoing postage and the PayPal 20p fee when you send it back plus they will prob have to discard the packaging and start again, do you think that's what they really want?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Hello everyone,

Around mid day, today I purchased something on Ebay. However, within minutes I decided that I did not want it and did went to cancel the order as I have with other sellers in the past successfully. However, the seller had immediately marked it as dispatched, before it would have been physically possible to have it dispatched. This meant that I was unable to request a simple cancellation. I felt like this was intentional. When I used to sell on Ebay I'd only mark something as dispatched once it had been dispatched Instead, I immediately sent two messages to the seller to ask to cancel and then I contacted Ebay support and they gave me the seller's phone number as the seller didn't respond to the messages (but had already left me feedback). The man on the line said that "robots" had already automatically packed and packaged the parcel. I don't believe that they would have done this in the literal several minutes between my order and sending them a message, let alone actually dispatching it.

Rather than simply returning my money and relisting his item, he would allow the shipment to commence even though I had told him that I don't want the item to be sent off, before he had sent it off. I would then have to pay recorded delivery to send it back to receive a refund. I don't want to have to pay to send it back by recorded delivery, he could just not send it out to begin with!

What is my best course of action?

Thank you

That's a short timeline.

At midday you bought an item.

Look at your post time here. 4.25.

You've already sent the seller two emails and contacted ebay support ...

As brian has outlined, this won't be intentional, this is likely a fast flowing business that uses automated systems.

What do you need to do?

Refuse the delivery or accept it and pay the return.

You took the decision to order, you take the responsibility to return.
  • OP if I were you, I'd not press buy until you are sure you actually intend to buy, it's the finest way.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    More stupid people whom are killing small businesses with their purchases & repeat returns.
    There not Buyers or Customers, only PITA which none of us need.
    I bet you won't reveal you eBay ID
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport