NST December 2018 – Exterminate the debt!

Options

Comments

• laurenh1
    Options
    Me please lovely xx
  • *snow*white*
    Options
    oh this is just what I need at the moment. Sign me up please.

We have really been on a life and home decluttering mission but need to not get sucked into the christmas spending vortex.

December is always a hard month as we have several family birthdays too :eek:
    NST#14/2
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Sounds good :D I'm in :D
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please can I sign up for the challenge.
    The next best thing to having my own Tardis.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Hello Everyone

I'm posting my goals today in case I don't get time tomorrow. They are adapted slightly from the challenge to take account of me being away for the first two weeks.

Tomorrow is pension day so all the bills will be paid and finances/budgets for the month sorted.

I'm not setting a number of NSDs as I don't think it will be practical but I'll try to be really careful about what we spend. I've taken cash out for food (we're self catering) and Himself has taken cash for going out. I'm hoping this will work better than using debit/credit cards as it'll make it easier to keep track of spending.

I will not browse on my phone or tablet. Really I won't. Looking forward to long chats with Himself and friends instead.

There are loads of sales in the outdoor shops in the Lake District but I honestly don't need anything. Whether I can stop Himself buying yet another jacket is another matter. We are intending to eat in most of the time (lovely market and lots of local shops including a fantastic butcher) but I have promised the Boy that he can have fish and chips from his favourite takeaway and a Sunday roast dinner in one of the pubs. Other than that not planning anything else. In fact, I'm going to have a proper breakfast (I'm terrible for just having coffee) to resist eating lunch out. Much better for me anyway.

I've downloaded lots of free kindle books so there will be loads of reading.

I'm pleased that I had an alcohol free November so I'm hoping to continue eliminating that bad habit by cutting down by limiting the number of alcoholic drinks I have (not easy when my friends are about).

Hoping to go different places, walk and have new experiences.

Back on the 15th to a quiet Christmas.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 November 2018 at 8:39PM
    Options
    Debt-free date / Mortgage-free date / Savings target date. No debt/mortgage. Have savings, will keep topping it up.
    Organise your outgoings. Budget for the month. Done for the month.
    Count up to 15. Fifteen No Spend Days. Will be doing.
    “There is no such thing as an ordinary human.” So says The Doctor. You are unique and amazing. Treat yourself well. “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.” Will be doing this and not getting guilty about things.
    One thousand days. More on this later as it’s a meaty one. Or a vegan sausage-y one. But definitely gluten and dairy free.
    Refrain from browsing your phone when nothing else is going on for the duration of the challenge. Waiting in line? Commercial break? At a red light? Be present in the moment. Be okay with “boredom.” Okay, okay: do try it for a week at least. Will be doing this.
    What kind of month do you want for yourself? Take a moment and really ask. What activities do I want to enjoy? What seasonal foods do I want to take advantage of? What do I want to have the energy to take on? Where can I build more leisure into my week? How can I be outside as much as possible? Making plans of things to do.
    Here’s a space to make up your own rule for the month. Please share it! Hobby – will try my best to start cross stitching again. Will start this after the painter has left.
    Outings. Drop one. Decide which one, inform those who need to know and enjoy the time and money you have just given yourself. No plans for outings with other people at the moment.
    Slow living this month. In a month of manicness, make a clear intention to keep your schedule and pace in check. Because, really, does anyone want a hectic December? Putting things that I planned so far in diary.
    Omm. Take care of your mental health. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day. Will be doing this.
    No entry to any sales. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. Or any sales. Anywhere. It’s temptation you can’t handle to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME! Likewise, no takeaways, canteen meals (unless free), coffee shop or corner shop visits. The only planned thing I want to buy in the sales is Christmas cards. No planned takeaways etc.
    “I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.” So says the Doctor. Be a dreamer. Be an optimist. Will do.
    Candles - Switch to candles and firelight after dark (or the high-tech adjustable hue bulb equivalents). Plus, everyone likes a good fire. (But not so much that the fire brigade come to see you…) And switch off your tech an hour before going to bed please. Have candles already in. So money saved there.
    “Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters. It’s the person.” “We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”
    Chase down more awe and joy. Go after it with a purpose. Go and enjoy the sparkly lights. Take a tour of your neighbourhood to look at other people’s outdoor decorations – and be smug about how you are not wasting your money like that. Go and seek Santa’s sleigh in the sky on Christmas Eve. Will do this and a good excuse for exercise as well.
    Read fiction before bed. Reading fiction gets you into the right state of mind for dreamland. Have plenty of books already in.
    Exercise. Get 10,000 steps a day (or set your own target). Move a little more. Embrace the outdoors and enjoy the fresh air. Will be trying to go out for a walk each day.
    “What’s the point of being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes.” Go play. Go have fun. Laugh. Smile while you eat. Just because. This is good thing to do.
    “Don’t give up. Not ever. Not for one single day. Be safe if you can be. But always be amazing.” Pop on here every day and tell us what you’re up to. Not just the good stuff, but also the bad and the ugly too. Will do.
    Refuse to get sucked into guilt spending. Reject the mindset that needs to constantly acquire more (Now that is true Ferenghi, a whole other alien race) Will do.
    Identify activities and people who drain you. Give yourself permission to take a break from them for 21 days (or as many days as possible) if you can. Just maybe this is a gift you should’ve given yourself a long time ago…? Limit my time on the computer.
    Visit your local area. Find new footpaths, see where a road or path takes you. Explore new horizons. Boldly go where no one has gone before. Oops, mixing my sci-fi….! Will take this on board.
    Exterminate (see, we can learn from the DALEKS…) one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. And I have recently moved up a level, so it’s even harder to put down…! No computer games.
    Remember that you are blessed. Count your blessings daily. Be grateful for what you have. And remember those that have less – donate money, food, non-perishables, blankets to a charity that you want to support. Relish life, one day at a time. Will do. Already planned as to which charity I will making a donation.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, Can I join please? Thankfully no longer paying off debts but trying to maximise savings.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • chocolatelover93
    chocolatelover93 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2018 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Thought I would come and put all my targets down today so they are ready for the month ahead!

Debt Free Date - 11.12.2019 53 weeks to go :D

Organize Outgoings - Budgets for the month are:
    Fuel - £150
    Food - £200
    Ent/Xmas/ETC - £50
    Meal plan will be written soon :D

Count - Will be aiming for the 15 this month! Will be hard but I am going to try and plan my spend days!

There is no such thing as an ordinary human - Am going to try and look after myself a bit more, making sure I am getting up a little earlier and going to bed a little earlier.

One thousand days - am curious for this one.

Refrain - This is going to be a very hard one for me as I'm always on my phone :o I will try though, I have already started reading and doing puzzles in my break rather than scrolling through FB. It may give me more chance to do other things as well!

What kind of month - I want to spend as much time as possible with family and friends :D a month full of fun, love and laughs.

My Rule - hmm...Will have to think about this one!

Outings - None planned really and the ones I do have planned will be cheap with family and friends.

Slow living - I have a week off so will use one of my baby free days when son is at nursery as a me day to relax and chill and do what I want.

Omm - This is one I need to do more of. I usually have cuddles with my son while he watches the bedtime story on cebeebies before bed. I am going to read to him once a day myself as well.

No to sales - Will do! I don't like boxing day sales anyway as I think it's unfair on the staff that want to spend time with their family. Why would you go out and buy loads of stuff when you have been given lots the day before?

I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams - I am a day dreamer haha I need to try and be more optimistic about things.

Candles - I love doing this so am on board with this :D

Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters. It’s the person.” “We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one. - This has inspired me to join the project zero again, it's 101 things to do in 1001 days and I did it before and tried loads of new things :D

Chase - there is a house not far from mine that every year puts out lights for charity, there was an issue last year where some one stole some of the lights and ruined some of them. Am hoping they put them out again this year and I will be able to take my son to have a look at them.

Read - this is something I used to love doing but haven't for a while, I will have to dust off the library card!

Exercise - Am going to dig out my fitness tracker :D

What’s the point of being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes - Love this, I am a big kid at heart lol.

Don't give up - Will do! :D

Refuse - I've already told everyone they have a low budget this year and it's about giving not receiving and the thought that counts. I have bought everyone gifts that I know they will use rather than tat that will get thrown away.

Identify - Have already done this, this year and it has helped me no end!

Visit - Will try and go to more baby groups with my son :)

Exterminate - My bad habit of going into my OD!!!!

Remember - Have a bag of bits to take to CS
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • LavenderBee
    Options
    *tentatively pops head round door* can I join too please? I disappeared in June as DD arrived and have been meaning to come back ever since. Unfortunately we had a bumpy start to her life, she's well now and I'm looking forward to trying to get as much back to normal me as possible (including being a turtle!). I definitely won't achieve everything this month as we also have a family funeral to attend. We're now living 6 hours from home so need to factor in travelling back for funeral and Christmas, with 5/6 month old DD. Anyway, here's my intentions:

Debt-free date / Mortgage-free date / Savings target date.
    We're dipping into savings for day to day living, planned and saved for but trying to limit damage

Organise your outgoings. Budget for the month. For e v e r y t h i n g. Write it down. And stick to it. Plan your meals – avoid waste. Batch cook
    Difficult to meal plan given current uncertainty of our whereabouts for the rest of the month but I try. Spending diary has fallen to pieces and I really want to do this again.

Count up to 15. Fifteen No Spend Days.
    I will try...

“There is no such thing as an ordinary human.” So says The Doctor. You are unique and amazing. Treat yourself well. “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”
    I can't do this right now

One thousand days. More on this later as it’s a meaty one. Or a vegan sausage-y one. But definitely gluten and dairy free.
    Veggie sausage for me please!

Refrain from browsing your phone when nothing else is going on for the duration of the challenge. Waiting in line? Commercial break? At a red light? Be present in the moment. Be okay with “boredom.” Okay, okay: do try it for a week at least.
    Tricky as I always reach for my phone when stuck under baby - but I will come here for inspiration instead of mindless browsing

What kind of month do you want for yourself? Take a moment and really ask. What activities do I want to enjoy? What seasonal foods do I want to take advantage of? What do I want to have the energy to take on? Where can I build more leisure into my week? How can I be outside as much as possible?
    I want mince pies... And hot tea. And I would like to finish my Christmas food and gift preparation before we travel for the funeral

Here’s a space to make up your own rule for the month. Please share it!
    Pondering...

Outings. Drop one. Decide which one, inform those who need to know and enjoy the time and money you have just given yourself.
    I only have 2 outings a week anyway which are invaluable to me, the rest is just me wheeling DD around running chores and encouraging naps!

Slow living this month. In a month of manicness, make a clear intention to keep your schedule and pace in check. Because, really, does anyone want a hectic December?
    I will worry less about housework, I will also need to put DD in disposable nappies for travelling so less time on laundry

Omm. Take care of your mental health. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.
    My gratitude is the same every day :)

No entry to any sales. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. Or any sales. Anywhere. It’s temptation you can’t handle to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME! Likewise, no takeaways, canteen meals (unless free), coffee shop or corner shop visits.
    I have some gift vouchers received for my birthday which I have saved for the sales so they go further. I'm replacing things that need replacing and have seen what I'm hoping will be reduced. Will try and do online as I've never understood physically shopping on boxing Day.

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.” So says the Doctor. Be a dreamer. Be an optimist
    That's quite a push but I'll try!

Candles - Switch to candles and firelight after dark (or the high-tech adjustable hue bulb equivalents). Plus, everyone likes a good fire. (But not so much that the fire brigade come to see you…) And switch off your tech an hour before going to bed please.
    No candles with devil cat and increasingly mobile baby but we do all enjoy the fake flames on our electric fire of an evening. We shall use that :D

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters. It’s the person.” “We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

Chase down more awe and joy. Go after it with a purpose. Go and enjoy the sparkly lights. Take a tour of your neighbourhood to look at other people’s outdoor decorations – and be smug about how you are not wasting your money like that. Go and seek Santa’s sleigh in the sky on Christmas Eve.
    I've always done this, sadly we'll have no call to put our own decs up, a shame as I've collected them all for free over the last couple of years

Read fiction before bed. Reading fiction gets you into the right state of mind for dreamland.
    Will try

Exercise. Get 10,000 steps a day (or set your own target). Move a little more. Embrace the outdoors and enjoy the fresh air.
    Love getting out with DD, we go for a walk even if it's raining :D

“What’s the point of being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes.” Go play. Go have fun. Laugh. Smile while you eat. Just because.
    Unavoidable!

“Don’t give up. Not ever. Not for one single day. Be safe if you can be. But always be amazing.” Pop on here every day and tell us what you’re up to. Not just the good stuff, but also the bad and the ugly too.
    I'm going to aim for every few days

Refuse to get sucked into guilt spending. Reject the mindset that needs to constantly acquire more (Now that is true Ferenghi, a whole other alien race)
    Love this. All gifts this year are handmade <3

Identify activities and people who drain you. Give yourself permission to take a break from them for 21 days (or as many days as possible) if you can. Just maybe this is a gift you should’ve given yourself a long time ago…?
    I don't have any of these thankfully

Visit your local area. Find new footpaths, see where a road or path takes you. Explore new horizons. Boldly go where no one has gone before. Oops, mixing my sci-fi….!
    I have bought DH an ordinance survey map of our new area as a present so yes, definitely. Just once he's unwrapped it...

Exterminate (see, we can learn from the DALEKS…) one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food.
    I will not buy DD any more clothes on eBay for 10 days. Yes she will use them but still, my poor postie must be knackered. Unless I'm asked to put her in something dark for the funeral...

Remember that you are blessed. Count your blessings daily. Be grateful for what you have. And remember those that have less – donate money, food, non-perishables, blankets to a charity that you want to support. Relish life, one day at a time.
    I count my blessings everyday and have taken to supporting a few (new to me) local charities
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello LavenderBee! Congratulations on your dd! You have had a huge amount of change in a short time - be kind to yourself! And if anyone tells you to put her in black for the funeral, give them a few choice words form me! My dd came to her grandad's funeral in a zebra print dress and leggings (and she did cartwheels in the crem!) and we put mum in a lovely flowery dress that made her look beautiful.

You have a super busy month ahead, so just do what you can manage.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure