Buying second hand items to give as Christmas presents?

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I spent a small fortune on a used board game once - no longer in production. I'm sure it cost me more second hand than it did new, and no it wasn't immaculate AND I had to buy new Play Doh to go with it. :p
  • Sadly not everyone has lots of money to spend at Christmas, so this is a far better option than getting into debt.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sadly not everyone has lots of money to spend at Christmas, so this is a far better option than getting into debt.

Yes, you're quite right. First time i'd come across it, but it makes perfect sense in the context of what you're saying.
  • ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    I'm giving two second hand gifts this year. One is second hand by virtue of what it is ... a letter written by a famous person 30 odd years ago, I've got it framed. My boy is fascinated by the person, their "career" & such like ... he'll be really chuffed with his gift. Plus he'll keep it and cherish it long after I've departed this earth. Something different, anyway. Hope he likes it.

My Brother has asked for a vacuum cleaner. He loves his gadgets. Dyson/Gtech/Shark would be a good choice for him, it's what he'd buy himself.

Instead, I found a Kirby Sentria vacuum on eBay, still in it's box. The seller said in his advert that his Mum had used it a few times but found it too heavy. She'd put it in the cupboard and forgot about it. She's since died and the seller is clearing her house.

Got it for £31, which included delivery. It's been delivered to mine ... and it's absolutely minted, if a little old fashioned. It's highly polished chrome, i've taken some Brasso to it and it's come up like mirrored glass, so shiny. It's come with lots of tools and attachments, it'll wash your carpet as well as hoover it.

I feel a bit guilty to have bought it so inexpensively, I think Kirby vacuums are really expensive if you buy them new, nearly four figures. Whether they're worth that is another thing. Can't wait to see my Brother's face when he opens this enormous box, only to find a vacuum cleaner that looks like it stepped out of the 1950's. He'll be mortified ! But, hey, he never specified the make ...
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    When buying a gift, you have to think of the receiver. If you think the present could possibly offend the receiver of the present, then do not give it to them. This applies to all aspects of the present.

Giving a second hand present to someone, unless it is a valuable antique or collectable, could offend, so why do it? You are basically giving something that someone else has rejected by someone else.

I have been through some rough times financially in the past. At one time I could not even afford to own a secondhand washing machine and had to wash my clothes by hand for over a year and another time when I could not even afford to buy a tin of beans, but I always made sure at Christmas i had enough money to buy new presents, even if they were nothing too special.
  • That's wrong. The items have not necessarily been rejected, just used and finished with such as a good book or out grown toys. Useless to the owner but a wonderful gift to someone else.

Can't say anyone on my present list would be offended by a secondhand gift as it would obviously be chosen to meet their wishes.
  • I personally don't see a problem with it. Especially for things like you mention - blu-rays and even moreso if they're in 'mint' condition.

I couldn't care less if someone got me a second hand music CD, DVD, blu-ray etc so long as the disc actually works. The case could be battered for all i care so long as the disc works.

I'm not keen on this idea of feeling like you HAVE to buy someone something. My mother is absolutely awful for this. She seems to think it needs to be one extreme or another - "you'd complain if you had nothing to open". I'm mid 30s for Christ sake! I'd rather a small handful of useful things. Even a hamper of toiletries or something on those lines - saves me having to buy them throughout the year so it's a helpful present in my eyes. I'd much rather that than 'filler' presents of biscuits and chocolate and more biscuits and even more chocolate that i'm still trying to get through in March!

My wife and i throw up a budget and a list each year for each other and we pick bits off it to the budget, roughly. That way nobody buys anything the other doesn't want. We'll throw maybe one 'surprise' present in there that's not on the list.

But then when it gets on to the rest of the family everyone is thinking what on earth should i buy them like it has to be done.

I mentioned one present i was getting for a family member and i got laughed at and called tight which i thought was out of order.

It'd be much more hassle-free if adults just didn't feel the need to buy each other anything & just settled for a family meal together or something, a card, whatever.

But i'm drifting way off topic and ranting. No, i don't see an issue with second hand presents :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    When buying a gift, you have to think of the receiver. If you think the present could possibly offend the receiver of the present, then do not give it to them. This applies to all aspects of the present.

Giving a second hand present to someone, unless it is a valuable antique or collectable, could offend, so why do it? You are basically giving something that someone else has rejected by someone else.

I have been through some rough times financially in the past. At one time I could not even afford to own a secondhand washing machine and had to wash my clothes by hand for over a year and another time when I could not even afford to buy a tin of beans, but I always made sure at Christmas i had enough money to buy new presents, even if they were nothing too special.

After being so poor ( and I have been) I certainly wouldn't be making sure I had enough money for new Christmas presents over the price of a tin of baked beans

Thats no disrespect to you, I have been that poor that Ive pinched loo roll from work, Ive washed my clothes in the sink with a wash board, I washed myself in a bowl of water top to tail, and lived on cornflakes. But if I had money for presents, I know id have preferred for it to go on food
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Mistral001 wrote: »

I like to think I know most of the people I am giving presents to reasonably well. Some I will confidently give second hand things to (and receive from them) others are more new things people.

People don't all like the same things, so the fact that someone else decided to sell or give away/reject something doesn't affect how other people will like it. Arguably presents are second hand anyway, unless delivered by the shop - I have owned them and now am giving them away!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Nothing wrong with second hand gifts provided that they are something wanted. I will be giving a second hand ornament - mint condition and half the price of new which means I can justify the cost. Just also given my wife some pre owned teddies, no longer made, mint condition, and not cheap, though still a lot less than new. She was delighted. I collect quite a few things, again most are used by virtue of their age, and I’d be happy to receive something similar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure