2»

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    bail-in wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Macroeconomics/Savings_and_Investment

Having read the above and more, I am even more confused and puzzled on the distinction between savings and investments accounts. It may be that what I said about ISAs in my post above re designating investments and savings as different is inaccurate in the sense of depending how the two are looked at and in what context. .

Seriously? Based on the efforts you have previously gone to, to inform and educate us on an in depth basis in your verbose multi part "review" of LC&F and the open letter you were involved with getting hosted at Weebly, we got the impression that you were promoting yourself as a well-read and incisive businessman, lawyer, teacher, politician, rights activist, private investor etc. Though perhaps they were separate collaborators on your project rather than your different day jobs.

Your apparent bafflement here as you copy and paste the contents off various links to search for the truth about the distinction between savings and investments perhaps betrays people's confidence that you are a person of great knowledge and in a good position to educate us on what we need to know about private mini-bonds or other options to store and grow our wealth.

The macroeconomics definitions you copypasted from that link is looking at the context of national accounting. Measuring GDP with a macroeconomic model of measuring one nation against another, which informs monetary and fiscal policy.

In that national accounting context, the economists consider the country's "investment" in its productive assets to generate something with the capital, vs taking money out of the economy in various forms of "saving" (including transfers of value between parties, facilitated/ transmitted through shares and financial instruments, which might be net positive or negative when it goes across borders).

On this forum, a discussion board for talking about the options from financial service providers in the personal banking/savings and investment space, we are NOT talking about trying to draw up a set of books for a nation. Instead we are considering the options available to us when looking to either deposit money into an account to earn interest and withdraw the money later, or to spend our money acquiring a financial asset such as a loan instrument, a piece of equity in a company or fund, or other type of financial investment.

So, you are right that the terms, "saving" or"investment" might be different concepts if you are taking about global macroeconomics and constructing a formula to measure or model the accounting of an entire nation... versus when you are taking to a fellow man on the street about the options you personally have for either depositing savings in an account to collect later, or buying a financial asset to hold as an investment.

To me it seems pretty obvious that when people here on a savings and investment sub-board within a personal finance forum are taking about savings vs investment, they are not looking to construct a macroeconomic model of a nation's finance. They are looking to deploy their personal wealth into a savings or investment option. There is no need to try to teach them national accounting and then come out of it having further confused yourself due to overlapping terms which mean different things in a context far removed from what they're trying to do. Likewise, probably no need to give five separate links from the money advice service.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Personally, in the context of people on this board here finding a home for their wealth, I'd make the following analogies::

- If you deposit your pile of pound coins in a bucket on the promise that someone (bank or building society) will look after its contents, save the coins from harm, and return the big bucket of coins to you later (on demand, or with notice, or on a fixed date) together with some extra coins as interest on top (to thank you for the opportunity of looking after the coins)... that process is known as *depositing* or *saving* your money. If the 'looking after' is done by a bank or building society you will get FSCS depositary protection on it. If the bucket is kept under your own bed, you won't.

Contrast with

- If you stick your pile of pound coins in a bucket and ask to buy a financial asset with the money, you no longer own the coins. The person you are dealing with, will take the coins (which are now theirs) out of your bucket and replace it with another item (share certificate, loan contract, bar of gold, confirmation that you've been named on the register of a collective investment scheme, etc etc). This is not someone acting as depositary to look after (provide safekeeping for) your coins. So it is not "saving" or"depositing". This is you exchanging the coins which *used to be* yours, for an asset like a block of gold or a piece of paper or a financial product. In order to get your money back you are reliant on either selling the new contents of the bucket to someone else, or the counterparty on the paperwork coming through with their promises and letting you redeem the holding to give you *their* coins in fulfillment of the documented agreement. This is "investing"

With the first option, "savings", your money is with someone for safekeeping. If they don't make good on the arrangement to give you *your* coins that they're holding , ombudsman will tell them to do so. If they can't because they have gone bust, FSCS will protect you to a limit.

With the second option "investments", you do not have any money being held for safekeeping. You spent that money which *used* to be yours, on buying physical asset (house, gold brick) or financial asset (share certificate, loan agreement, option contact etc). What is in now in the bucket (whether the bucket is under your bed, or being looked after by a third party) is not a pile of pound cons. It's a different asset (s). So when you later hope for the asset (s) to be converted into coins again, maybe it will be fewer coins than you originally had in the bucket. Maybe what you have in the bucket is worthless as nobody wants to buy it and perhaps if what you have is a contract, nobody wants to fulfill it (or is able to fulfill it).

That is the risk being taken with investment... but clearly the rewards could be higher because you hope the contract will pay off or the item you hold (house, block of gold, share certificate, P2P loan contract) goes up in value.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,277 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2018 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Out of interest, is there an official FCA statement on the use of the word "savings"?

I can think of at least one other ultra-high-risk unregulated investment that is using the word "savings" in its adverts with impunity.
    Unfortunately, they don't appear to have official documentation to this effect, but seem to take enforcement action on a case by case basis under their 'clear, fair and not misleading' criteria as applied to Financial Promotions. It would be (1A)(d) and (1B) that are of particular relevance:

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/3/3.html
    "(1A) A firm must ensure that each communication and each financial promotion:
    (d) is sufficient for, and presented in a way that is likely to be understood by, the average member of the group to which it is directed, or by which it is likely to be received"

"(1B) A firm must ensure that, where a communication or financial promotion contains a comparison or contrast, the comparison or contrast is presented in a fair and balanced way and is meaningful."

The FCA would appear to be of the view that people who receive an advert about a product that describes its use as "saving" or compares its returns to that of high street bank savings accounts might believe it is a savings account like their high street bank offers. Fancy that!
  • BigIain
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Hello yet another brand new poster asking about London Capital and Finance!

I suspect that you already know the answer to your question.

Some "brand new posters" need guidance.
    Everyone has to make their first post; should that make it any less valuable than someone with hundreds or even thousands of posts?!

I joined this forum as I don't have much financial experience.
    I'm looking at this thread as was thinking about LC&F and wanted independent advice, already knowing that it was much higher risk than bank savings.

Rather than criticising perhaps you can offer guidance based on YOUR EXPERIENCE, if indeed you have any.

I would really like to know has anyone invested in this company and what was their experience.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That poster has been PPRrd (Posting Privileges Removed) so I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply

You may notice if you visit their website that ...
    • The Financial Conduct Authority has directed London Capital & Finance plc to withdraw all of its existing marketing materials in relation to LCF’s Fixed Rate ISA or Bond.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,277 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BigIain wrote: »
    Some "brand new posters" need guidance.
    Yes, and some are paid to make multiple new forum accounts so they can promote products and services from unscrupulous companies under the guise of asking for guidance. Sometimes it is difficult to tell which is which.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BigIain wrote: »
    I would really like to know has anyone invested in this company and what was their experience.

The problem is that even if anyone had invested the chances are that they would have no issues at this point in time as the company are (or at least were) actively selling their products. The problems come some years down the line when the interest payments stop and the investors are unable to access their money
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure