Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • c1403
    • By c1403 6th Dec 18, 12:45 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    c1403
    Littlewoods and Other Catalogue PPI
    • 6th Dec 18, 12:45 PM
    Littlewoods and Other Catalogue PPI 6th Dec 18 at 12:45 PM
    Hello

I will try and make this short and sweet.

About 4-5 years ago I started to process of reclaiming PPI with various companies. I had two catalogues Little woods and Simply Be (both different parent companies).

My complaints were rejected back in 2013. Fair enough.
    However earlier this year I received a letter from Simply Be stating they had re-investigated and were now upholding my complaint and I received quite a nice cheque.

Now, this got me thinking about Little woods as my circumstances were the same at the time of opening both accounts and the the insurances were added to my account without being properly explained, given the right to decline etc.

Would you assume, that because Simply Be have upheld my complaint perhaps Littlewoods should too?

I have written to them recently and after sending me all over the place with ID checks, about 6 reference numbers (only had one account), they also say they have sent letters which I haven't received. They are now saying (after me chasing 8 weeks later) that the complaint was closed 4 years ago.
    I'm wondering if i should refer to the Ombudsman ?

I'll add that I also had successful complaints on a couple of credit cards too, again for the same reason/complaint that I was simply not made aware of the insurance and that it was optional which is true.

Thoughts?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Dec 18, 1:10 PM
    • 22,648 Posts
    • 12,185 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 6th Dec 18, 1:10 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 1:10 PM
    Would you assume, that because Simply Be have upheld my complaint perhaps Littlewoods should too?
    Originally posted by c1403
    No.

Different sale, different people, different circumstance.

You don't have access to the Ombudsman five years on from your rejected complaint and (as you've found out) approaching Littlewoods on that very tenuous basis has just resulted in a terse reiteration of your original rejection.
    Sorry.
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 6th Dec 18, 2:14 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Bermonia
    • 6th Dec 18, 2:14 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 2:14 PM
    As already said above, you are no longer able to take the ombudsman route as you have six months from the date of their response... this is WELL in excess of that.

Also as already stated every sale is different, the reasons for one company to uphold do not automatically become true for another.

Don’t waste any further time and just be thankful for the extra you got back that you weren’t expecting.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 6th Dec 18, 2:16 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 6th Dec 18, 2:16 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 2:16 PM
    You are not entitled to go to the ombudsman, the case was closed more than 6 months ago which is their time limit.

Your other cases were probably upheld because of an auto-pay or other failing, your given reasons are not really valid

-PPI did not need to be properly explained, it was not an advised sale
    -Given right to decline - you were, you could accept it or not. You're talking about modern cancellation rights, those do not apply retrospectively
    -Not made aware of the policy - it was on every statement you got
    • c1403
    • By c1403 6th Dec 18, 2:40 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    c1403
    • 6th Dec 18, 2:40 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 2:40 PM
    Thanks everyone. Guess I'm hoping to match what I got with Simply Be after they rejected my complaint.

Although since contacting Littlewoods in October and chasing a couple of times they never once said the case had been closed. She couldn't even locate my account number but had 6 different reference numbers ? She mentioned letters I've never received etc. Then when she couldn't work it out said oh it's an old complaint and has been closed. A little confusing but it was worth a shot.

I'll leave it as it is and who knows maybe I'll get a random letter and cheque one day.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Dec 18, 5:45 PM
    • 22,648 Posts
    • 12,185 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 6th Dec 18, 5:45 PM
    • 6th Dec 18, 5:45 PM
    Although since contacting Littlewoods in October and chasing a couple of times they never once said the case had been closed. She couldn't even locate my account number but had 6 different reference numbers ? She mentioned letters I've never received etc. Then when she couldn't work it out said oh it's an old complaint and has been closed.
    It's hardly surprising your account was not easily accessed, since your complaint was rejected and closed four years ago. There would not normally be any reason to check this account ever again.
    it was worth a shot.
    It really was a waste of everyone's time
    who knows maybe I'll get a random letter and cheque one day.
    Don't hold your breath while waiting...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,992Posts Today

6,380Users online

Martin's Twitter