Signed off sick but asked to attend review meeting

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think its looking good for you. Having a new employee who should be fresh, motivated, ready to take things on going sick due to workload after only 5 months suggests serious issues. It could be on your side - you just aren't up to the job, or it could be on the employer side, expecting too much too soon, not looking after the employee, not having good procedures, poor performance from management (not load balancing employee workload).

Sometime work comes in that just has to be done, you essentially have to suck it up and get on with it. If that becomes the norm though instead of the exception then its shows an issue with resourcing in the company and isn't sustainable.

In your case, it appears to be the first time its ramped up - for you to react so strongly suggests an underlying issue with the role and/or underlying high anxiety levels. Equally though it looks like the company is failing to protect you.

I'd be very open with your manager, and say you want to work with them to find a way to manage your workload and to contribute to the company - put as positive a spin on it as possible, but don't underplay the impact it is having on you. Hopefully they will see positive intent and work with you - honestly I'd say its 50/50, so companies will try and help you, some will just get shot of you.

Good luck!
  • surveyor_101
    surveyor_101 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:57AM
    Basically, my wife has been diagnosed in March, with breast cancer and my 4 year had to have an operation on her throat due to sleep apnea.

I was helping on a project as a number 2.

I was brought on to run two projects at a time which started in march but were supposed to start in jan.

I now have 2 of my own projects that have started and it was discussed if i they took one of the those away could i complete the other project as the surveyor was struggling with 3.

I said i might be open to it. He said he would give it some thought and signed off my review as good in end feb.

In 5 months to managers on the project have resigned and one was sacked.

There was no agreed handover date or time frame agreed. I got a call one day saying i expected to do all the reporting etc on this project now.

Two weeks later i got a call saying you will be taking over the current project. I said who is taking my other project and they waid they would monitor how i coped with 3.

In the following weeks i wrote emails to my manager expressing concern of my workload.

I had a meeting and he said he would monitor but there was no further resource.

Update

My doctor won't advise me I am on hold to acas but he is issuing a new sick note to say stress.

I am considering responding to the letter as follows:

Dear XX

Thank you for your letter dated 10th April 2018.

I am sorry I was not home when you visited on Friday the 6th April 2018, if you had called beforehand I could avoided you having a wasted journey, as I explained I was resting at my mother's house getting some rest due to my children being home for the Easter Half Term.

I have consulted with my doctor and he feels I am not fit to attend such a meeting at this time and notes that I am covered by a Sick Note stating I am unfit for work. This is due to me being signed off with stress and the medication I am on. He believes the stress is mostly work related but partially because of my daughter's operation and she has been unwell with broken sleep since.

He has issued a new sick note today with 'stress' as the reason to clarify the situation. he also stated that sickness and diarrhoea can be and were most likely symptoms of stress. The previous Doctor who issued the sick note on the 5th April 2018 stating 'family circumstances' did so as I was stressed and embarrassed at my diagnosis was that of stress. I confirm I am happy for you to contact my doctor if necessary.

In light of this, I would like to ask that the meeting is rescheduled for when I fell better but if you still feel they still need an interview me on the 16th April 2018, then I would like to propose that a meeting at my home address at 2:00pm as an alternative due to my ill health. If that is not convenient please suggest further dates and times in order to arrange an interview.

As per my contract, I am entitled to be interviewed at home by a member of management when off sick. During this interview, I would like to discuss my absence and measures that may be helpful to aid return work.

Yours sincerely
  • to clarify i have been off for 7 days.
  • latest version of the letter.

Dear XX

Thank you for your letter dated 10th April 2018.

First of all I am sorry I was not home when you visited on Friday the 6th April 2018, if you had called beforehand I could avoided you having a wasted journey, as I explained I was resting at my mother's house du to my children being home for the Easter Half Term.

I have consulted with my doctor and he feels I am not fit to attend such a meeting at this time and notes that I am covered by a Sick Note stating I am unfit for work until the 19th April 2018. This is due to me being signed off with stress and the medication I am on. He believes the stress is mostly work related but partially because of my daughter's operation and she has been unwell with broken sleep since.

He has issued a new sick note today with 'stress' as the reason to clarify the situation. he also stated that sickness and diarrhoea can be and were most likely symptoms of stress. The previous Doctor who issued the sick note on the 5th April 2018 stating 'family circumstances' did so as I was stressed and embarrassed at my diagnosis of stress related illness. I confirm I am happy for you to contact my doctor if necessary to confirm this.

In light of this, I would kindly ask that the meeting is rescheduled for when I feel better but if you still feel they still need an interview with regard to absence me on the 16th April 2018, then I would like to propose that a meeting be at my home address at 2:00pm as an alternative due to my ill health. If that is not convenient please suggest further dates and times in order to arrange an interview.

As per my contract, I am entitled to be interviewed at home by a member of management when off sick. During this interview, I would like to discuss my absence and measures that may be helpful to aid return work.

Yours sincerely
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You might also want to add in something along the lines that you won't be accessing any work systems while off sick so please could further meetings be arranged/confirmed in writing to avoid any confusion.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • No post for me today so the letter has physically arrived with me.

Saw the postman in my street.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    A manager shouldn't turn up at your home address unannounced unless they had been trying to get hold of you, were unable to do so, and were concerned for your safety. That could only reasonably be argued as being the case if you lived alone, which you don't. It is not unreasonable for management to want to meet with you at home but that should be at a mutually agreed time.
    The doctor was wrong to put 'Family Reasons' on the medical certificate. You cannot claim sickness benefits purely on the grounds that somebody else in the family is unwell.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 3:40PM
    karxlee wrote: »

If your PDR was a 'Good' then they cannot just get rid as you say.

Highlighting this again and for the avoidance of doubt - this is WRONG.

Less than two years notice, and the employer can legally terminate employment with no reason (unless due to a protected characteristic / protected disclosure)

I thought you would have known this?

The O/P needs to tread with caution if they want to keep their job however my advice would be to find another job ASAP.
  • surveyor_101
    surveyor_101 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2018 at 4:01PM
    I have been looking for another job for the last two months.

Got some irons in the fire hopefully.

Worst case is the look to terminate with paid notice.

I spoke to HR Advisor today who said normally occupational health would want to meet with you but they have no OH. She said they can call a meeting regards absence but to question job performance was very strange action to take while someone is signed off sick.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am so sorry about your home situation, no doubt very stressful. Frankly, as a manager, if I got such a letter, it would not make me feel sympathetic at all. Firstly, the part about him coming to you comes across as cynical. Secondly, it's way too long and waffling. Thirdly, you say that your doctor says it's mostly stress related. Your doctor will only know what you tell him, so that's pointless.

The overall tone of your letter is entitled and about your rights showing you don't care at all about the impact of your illness on the company.

My advice would be to ditch the letter in the bin, contact your boss, have a talk about your situation as much as you are willing to share, and then say that you appreciate him wanting to meet with you but would he consider coming to yours instead of you going to Head of Office as you are concerned that you are not currently in a position to make that drive. Say that if this is not possible, could it be postponed until the end of your sick note when you are due to come back.

In the end, either he wants to get rid of you asap, in which case, this letter will certainly not make him change is mind, or if he is willing to give you a chance, you'll have to show some commitment rather than going on about what more he should do to accommodate you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure