Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    14wrence wrote: »
    Ok - so seems many people are on the side of the dealer - for the record - I bought from the dealer but when it was 2 years old. It's done 60k. It's a diesel sportage.

Its not about being on anyones side, its about looking at it objectively

You bought a used car - it may well be that the previous owner rode the clutch, not you
  • motorguy
    photome wrote: »
    I had a Kia with a clutch problem was between 2 and 3 years old.

took it to Kia garage, Mechanic took it out for a drive with me in car. within minutes he said yes we will replace that under warranty.

was a very simple process

Was there 60,000 miles on your car?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Full strip is needed to confirm if it's a failed part, or wear & tear, but I don't understand £500 to inspect - the most it should be initally is 50% of the total clutch fitting time - ask the dealer / google what the 'book time' for the clutch fitment is?

If it is warranty, they'll claim the full costs from Kia, so should reimburse you.

At 60k, I'd suspect wear, and the dealer will too, hence the initial charge to inspect. What if they stripped it down for free, found it wasn't warranty - would you expect them to put it back together FOC so you could take it elsewhere for repair?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    14wrence wrote: »
    Also I may or may not be The perfect driver - that's up for debate - but this is the first clutch I've ever burnt out - and on the newest car I've ever owned - what does that say about Kia parts?

You may not have burnt it out, the previous owner may have done 90% of the job for you. My grandfather used to have bad feet, wore orthopedic shoes and would go through a clutch every 10,000 miles or so. Unfortunately without taking the gearbox off to inspect the clutch when you buy the car you can't tell unless its already worn enough to start slipping.
    flashg67 wrote: »
    Full strip is needed to confirm if it's a failed part, or wear & tear, but I don't understand £500 to inspect - the most it should be initally is 50% of the total clutch fitting time
    Why 50%, are they not putting the gearbox back on again? What if the clutch was wear and tear and the customer said they couldn't afford it? Do they just leave the car out in the yard with the gearbox in the boot?
  • Its a fact some Kia and Hyundai models have clutches which burn out prematurely. They also like putting a restrictor in the clutch slave cylinder for smoother gear change BUT it lets the clutch slip more. Add to that an inadequate pressure plate for a lighter clutch and hey presto the clutch wears out whereas it wouldn't have on an older model. Would be an uphill struggle to prove all that as a design fault though but the evidence is out there; seen it myself.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I'd consider asking the independent what their costs would be to visually inspect the components and give you their professional opinion. Once you have that, you'll be in a position to quantify the risk of Kia's diagnostics and could ask the independent garage to reassemble the vehicle without replacing anything.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2017 at 8:24AM
    I feel that OP doesn't understand that dealerships are franchises, not owned by the car manufacturer.

They don't loose money on warranty work, they simply charge it back to the manufacturer and in some cases as your warranty expires (but the parts supplier warranty does not) they can charge both the manufacturer AND yourself for the same work, there is NO reason to "dissuade" you.

The manufacturer charges their costs back to their component supplier, so even they don't lose out in most cases.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • motorguy
    edited 30 June 2017 at 8:28AM
    Its a fact some Kia and Hyundai models have clutches which burn out prematurely. They also like putting a restrictor in the clutch slave cylinder for smoother gear change BUT it lets the clutch slip more. Add to that an inadequate pressure plate for a lighter clutch and hey presto the clutch wears out whereas it wouldn't have on an older model. Would be an uphill struggle to prove all that as a design fault though but the evidence is out there; seen it myself.

Its hardly burning out prematurely though if thats how its designed?

Its merely wearing out sooner than your expectations of a different clutch design?

60,000 miles isnt that unreasonable for a clutch to wear out.

The previous owner could have done a lot of stop start city driving or rode the clutch.
  • motorguy
    Crabman wrote: »
    I'd consider asking the independent what their costs would be to visually inspect the components and give you their professional opinion. Once you have that, you'll be in a position to quantify the risk of Kia's diagnostics and could ask the independent garage to reassemble the vehicle without replacing anything.

?

Its back to the situation whereby if you have the car in bits and the clutch plate on the bench then you're approx 50% of the way to replacing the clutch anyway.

You might save a bit on the labour by having a third party do it then taking the part to your local KIA dealer and then them maybe raise a case with KIA, have them process it and make a decision.

And is your local indie going to be happy with the car taking up a ramp maybe for several days until the dealer / KIA do that?
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    I don't think anybody else has suggested this but............
    When I take any of my Kia vehicles in to our main dealer for service etc I always 'negotiate' a price.
    I always manage to get at least £50.00 knocked off the price of a service.
    Just a little bit of '& what's the best price you can do' always works.
    Price quoted to the OP for the work is pretty fair.........hourly rate is going to be around £80-85 incl VAT.
    Kia will do clutch warranty work up to about 18 000 miles without much argument but at 60 000 no way...........
    P.S
    We run 5 Kia's
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport