Water or Coke - that's about it

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    prowla wrote: »
    Well, it was prompted by me having lunch at Five Guys, which indeed did only have that choice of soft drink - everything else in their machine (including iced teas) did have sweetener.

Apologies for misleading anybody...

Of course it depends where you go, as to whether they have the upmarket drinks and/or whether they have artificial in them (some places seem not to know if I ask).

Im not sure I would set the benchmark of drinks available, by a high street chain that offers one post mix self service machine!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    custardy wrote: »
    Im not sure I would set the benchmark of drinks available, by a high street chain that offers one post mix self service machine!
    It's indicative.

Can you tell me any other mainstream soft drinks which are artificial sweetener free?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,808 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Well, I was talking about non-alcoholic drinks; since I am generally driving when I go out.

There are an increasing range of non-alcoholic beers available now.
    (E.g Becks Blue, Brewdog Nanny State)
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2018 at 8:22PM
    It's indicative.

Can you tell me any other mainstream soft drinks which are artificial sweetener free?

I don't think it is indicative. The one restaurant you use to back up your claim is very unusual I would say. Look at this competitor:

https://www.byronhamburgers.com/menu/drinks

Many of the soft drinks on here are free of artificial sweeteners.

If people ask for drinks free of artificial sweeteners then that's what restaurants will have to stock, eventually. It's no bad thing that the mainstream gets a bit of competition from smaller companies who make a quality product. I don't think mainstream fizzy drinks are really what I would call quality.

Don't get me wrong, I deplore the sugar tax as all that will happen is more and more artificial sweeteners in our food and drink. I would rather that there was a campaign to get people to eat and drink less of the things that aren't great for us and stop messing around with our food. Is it better that people drink sugar free drinks every day or have a sugary drink once a week? I know which I prefer.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    lammy82 wrote: »
    Right, but they don't calculate markup that way, because they're not basing the margin on the cost of the drink, they're basing it on the costs of actually running a pub, i.e. staff, glassware, cleaning, insurance, furniture, occupancy etc. These overheads are largely the same whether people are drinking cheap or expensive drinks.

So it's (example):

Cost price + 20% markup + fixed overhead of £1.50 per drink.

That's how it works in a pub, because everyone gets the same level of service and accommodation whether they are buying Coke or beer.

So by that reckoning a glass of tap water would be £1.50 plus a few pence for the cost of the water.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,808 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    agrinnall wrote: »
    So by that reckoning a glass of tap water would be £1.50 plus a few pence for the cost of the water.

Except for the fact that places serving alcohol must legally provide tap water for free on request

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/tap-water-rights
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Yeah, I reckon that's what about what they would charge if going to pubs to drink water became a "thing" and the law was amended to allow them to charge for it. It's about what you'd pay for a mug of tea which is water plus a teabag costing a few pennies.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    McKneff wrote: »
    Have tap water.
    Free
    Sugar free
    Fat free
    Good for you

Corporation Cola. Council pop.
  • The obesity epedemic and widespread introduction of artificially sweetened drinks started at roughly the same time in the 70s. Cause and effect is obviously very hard to prove, but before then people were happily drinking sugary drinks (albeit in more sensible amounts than they do now) and not getting wobbly.

Most people I know who drink artificially sweetened drinks make very unhealthy choices in what they eat. Not their fault - they've had a massive cue to their body to expect to have to process a lot of sugar (from drinking something that's massively sweeter tasting than anything with real sugar in), and their poor body's left with nothing to process and craves all the bad stuff. Until there's a decent artificial sweetener on the market that works with your body not against it, and that doesn't taste disgusting (it's on its way, and called Sweetbiotix) the sugar tax should never have gone through.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    But the mark up on soft drinks in pubs over the price that you'd pay in the supermarket is usually vastly greater than the difference for alcoholic drinks. If bottled beer had the same markup as soft drinks you would be paying £6 or more in a pub for a 330ml bottle - I don't know where you drink but I don't know anywhere around here that charges anything like that.

You can't compare the price you pay in the supermarket with a pub. Firstly pubs don't buy drinks as cheaply as supermarkets.

Think of a the cost of a drink in a pub as rent for the table. The pub doesn't really care what you drink, it just has to make so many pounds per hour from each table to cover the overheads. Selling coke at £2 they are probably making about the same amount of money as they do from selling a pint of beer at £3.50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure