MSE Big Energy Switch 10

In this weeks newsletter, there is a Big Energy Switch 10 section https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/
One of the top choices is Bulb but if you only want to switch electricity to Bulb then you need to look at using someone's referral link as the MSE switch will only pay you £27.50 while a referral link will give you a minimum of £50 (some people will share their cashback). So check the MSE forums referral board for Bulb links first.
Also use an alternative price switching site to check if you can save even more as MSE doesn't list all the firms you can switch to.
A reliable site is the Citizens Advice Bureau https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Comments

• tillster
    tillster Posts: 54 Forumite
    I am considering this tarrif, as my current e-on deal runs out in two weeks.

I am, however, a wee bit unsure as to the pro's / con's with a two year fixed deal, versus the more commonplace one year deal

Can anyone shine a light ? (or summon a crystal ball ?!)
    Wise beneath my years
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The big problem is that it is a variable tariff and not cheap. Prices look like they are heading in one direction so choosing a variable that is not the cheapest available seems a bit silly. For me the gas is the same annual cost as a 2 year fix with Zog which also has no exit fee, a bit of a no brainer.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    The big problem is that it is a variable tariff and not cheap. Prices look like they are heading in one direction so choosing a variable that is not the cheapest available seems a bit silly. For me the gas is the same annual cost as a 2 year fix with Zog which also has no exit fee, a bit of a no brainer.

From this week's email
    Q. Does MSE make money from this? Yes....
    Says it all really.

As for this claim
    Q. How does Cheap Energy Club work? It does three things:
    1) We compare ALL market tariffs to show your price and saving.
    Well that is just downright dishonest.:mad:

I have found numerous tariffs, and even suppliers, that are listed on other reputable comparison sites such as energyhelpline or energylinx that you will find no trace of on the MSE Cheap Energy Club.

e.g.
    Brilliant Energy. They have some good value tariffs available particularly for gas, such as their Fair Deal Gas 3.7b tariff (which can beat Zog tariffs depending on region and usage, but are only 1 year), yet the MSE Cheap Energy Club fails to mention this in it's results output
    - rather it only shows some (what were for me) less competitive tariffs such as their Fair Deal Gas 1.0

Utility Point.
    I can't find these anywhere in the MSE Cheap Energy Club. I cannot even choose them as my existing supplier. :(
    Some of their tariffs can be good value (depending on region and usage), even as dual fuel.

I 'm left wondering just how many other tariffs or even suppliers are missing off the MSE Cheap Energy Club database because they are not prepared to pay MSE to be listed. :eek:

My advice - you cannot rely upon the MSE Cheap Energy club for a full comparison service.
    Use other comparison websites. I find energylinx to be useful (tends to include the most as they also provide the same data to the CAB comparison service, but the CAB restricts it's output e.g. no tariff detail, no cashback opportunity, etc) and energyhelpline (they have a similar monitoring and alert service as MSE offers, and pay more cashback than MSE ... if you use the MSE referral link)
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Also use an alternative price switching site to check if you can save even more as MSE doesn't list all the firms you can switch to.
    Absolutely:T
    I see you've noticed this too
    A reliable site is the Citizens Advice Bureau https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Yes, I agree that site tends to list most (all?) tariffs and suppliers.
    It is powered by Energylinx
    The drawbacks I found was that I was unable to see the actual tariff details via that site. Also no chance to switch via them ... so no possibility of cashback.

Using this link, you can see more detail (all powered from the same database), plus have the opportunity to earn cashback on some suppliers tariffs - more than MSE pay (except if you move seperate gas and electricity suppliers to a new single supplier, dual fuel tariff)

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @PaschalFun
    My motto is find the tariff I want and then find the best way to get cashback if it is possible.

@molerat
    I'm too on the ZOG 2 year fix deal with zero exit fees. It was the same unit/sc prices as my Bristol gas deal which would have ran until September so a no brainer to swap onto the cheapest market deal. (The Bristol fix had no exit fees too)

@tillster
    Well how much more in the first year alone is the two fix over a one year fix? And how expensive are the exit fees if the prices drop and you wish to swap away early? No supplier puts on tariff on the market to lose money. It really is trying to second guess the market.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2018 at 8:32PM
    @molerat
    I'm too on the ZOG 2 year fix deal with zero exit fees. It was the same unit/sc prices as my Bristol gas deal which would have ran until September so a no brainer to swap onto the cheapest market deal. (The Bristol fix had no exit fees too)
    I think I will pre-empt things and jump (back) to Zog now. £36 dearer than my current EDF fix which ends in June, no exit fee. EDF's current cheapest one year deal is £155 more, no exit fee and two year is £187 dearer with a £135 exit fee. They pulled one out of the hat for renewal last year but I can't see them doing it again.

Just initiated the switch and nominated a switch date of 22 May, bonus, only lose 5 weeks of my current cheap deal !
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 12:51PM
    For me the Avro simple and flow tariff is the best option, fixed for 12 months and no exit fees. I'd only save £15 by swapping to another tariff, but it isn't fixed, not worth the risk, better to fix for 12 months, then if i find a better one can switch with no exit fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure