Joint ownership on another Halifax account?

2»

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how likely is it that we would be both searched if applying for new financial products?
    highly likely

I can't imagine my grandma has bad history, she's always paid her credit card in full as far as I know. She only has the one credit card and after a fraud attack a year or two ago, she's too scared to use it now anyway.
    little history could mean not enough evidence of borrowing

Halifax have been messing us around a lot lately trying to deal with this Power of Attorney thing and the only way I can see this working without a fuss, is if I just move my basic Halifax banking elsewhere, and go joint with my grandma through Halifax. It's been an absolute nightmare dealing with it and I'm at a point now where I'll do anything for an easy life

Have you set up the POA ?

Halifax can't do anything until you've got it - make an appointment and take into branch.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Have you set up the POA ?

Halifax can't do anything until you've got it - make an appointment and take into branch.

The issue I have over POA is that my grandma being my grandma, will want to remain independent. She has full mental capability and wouldn't want it all to be in my control. Or would she still have that control? All she wants from myself is to keep an eye on the account, make any necessary transfers to and from her current account and savings, or to myself if I buy something for her on my card as she's not fond of using her debit card, she prefers books and cash.

Before my grandad passed, the only time she used a debit card was for the weekly shopping, apart from that she has books with a building society, collects her pension from the post office service and just has an envelope full of money :eek:
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    The issue I have over POA is that my grandma being my grandma, will want to remain independent. She has full mental capability and wouldn't want it all to be in my control. Or would she still have that control? All she wants from myself is to keep an eye on the account, make any necessary transfers to and from her current account and savings, or to myself if I buy something for her on my card as she's not fond of using her debit card, she prefers books and cash.

Before my grandad passed, the only time she used a debit card was for the weekly shopping, apart from that she has books with a building society, collects her pension from the post office service and just has an envelope full of money :eek:

Grandma would have full control until she is no longer able to. I did this with my dad and Halifax gave me a card on his account once we had the POA and I also could have internet access.
    Then once grandma is unable to sort out her affairs the POA is already up and running.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RADDERS wrote: »
    Grandma would have full control until she is no longer able to. I did this with my dad and Halifax gave me a card on his account once we had the POA and I also could have internet access.
    Then once grandma is unable to sort out her affairs the POA is already up and running.

Apologies for the late response here, but I can assure I've been reading the thread :) I finally had a spare few hours the other day to go to the bank with my grandma, where three options were offered; going joint, power of attorney and going third party. And to make sure my grandma had full control, we decided to go on the Third Party option. So it's finally all sorted out :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure