Fund (my first) S&S ISA now, or wait a few days?

Options
1235»

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    is cavendish cheaper than iweb?

It depends on how you use it and what the value of the investment is. If you are making regular payments then iWeb could get expensive at £5 per trade. Cavendish don't charge a trading fee. If you just buy in one lump sum then Cavendish will probably be more expensive because they charge 0.25% of the value of your investment.

Vanguard Investor is only a good option if you are only going to buy Vanguard funds. If you are going to buy from any other providers then Vanguard isn't an option.
  • thenewcomer
    Options
    thanks valiant.
    Aim to retire by 45.
  • thenewcomer
    Options
    quick question- the age old question of drip feeding or lump sum investment. i prefer drip feeding, but wouldnt the monthly cost of transaction totalled up to a high cost?

eg. iweb is 5 quids per buy, that will be 60 quids in a year!
    Aim to retire by 45.
  • lpgm
    lpgm Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    but wouldnt the monthly cost of transaction totalled up to a high cost?

Yes. They said that.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    quick question- the age old question of drip feeding or lump sum investment. i prefer drip feeding, but wouldnt the monthly cost of transaction totalled up to a high cost?

Well, that is why Valiant noted that somewhere like IWeb can get expensive as it charges per transaction while others such as Vanguardinvestor or Cavendish don't charge a trading fee but charge you a percentage on assets under administration instead.

For example:

£18k drip fed into an ISA at £1.5k per month, average balance for the year is between £9-10k, charge at Cavendish will be a little over £20 for that first year, but if you kept on contributing at that pace it would be over £60 for the second year as you have more assets under administration. Unless you have big losses of course :).

Charge at IWeb would be £60 a year if making 12 purchases, but only £30 if making purchases every other month or £20 if making four quarterly purchases etc . Presumably you have no specific need to deploy the money monthly and bimonthly would still function as a 'drip feed', just a longer timelag before you start earning dividends and investment gains. If you were definitely going to be buying monthly, you could use Halifax Sharedealing which has a transaction-based charging structure while offering discounted £2 transaction fees if you book in advance to trade on a fixed day each month with their regular trading program.

There are lots of options out there.
  • thenewcomer
    Options
    thanks both. i find drip feeding an expensive way to invest!
    Aim to retire by 45.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    thanks both. i find drip feeding an expensive way to invest!

That depends on the platform charging structure:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport