We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Butterfly question

bugslet
bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
I have what I think is a speckled wood butterfly in my boxroom. It's not flying, but it is moving around, currently sitting on a trainer!

I don't think it will fly out of an open window, as I say it doesn't seem to be flying, and the aperture is fairly small anyway. Should it be hibernating, is it very confused and going to die whatever, or can I help it in anyway.

TIA

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They do not hibernate as butterflies only as caterpillars or in a larva stage.I would expect it hatched somewhere in your home and as it will not be seen outside until early April there is IMO no chance of it living either in your home or outside.
    As much as it goes against the grain I would put it out of its misery as it is too early both to feed or mate.
  • bugslet
    Thought that might be the case. Thanks London50.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Don't agree with the above, I'm afraid. Best thing you can do, if possible, is relocate the butterfly (with as little fuss as possible) to an area that's between 5°C and 10°C, but with access to the outside world... Garage, garden shed...

If it's a Speckled Wood, they can easily emerge in March in their natural habitat, and obviously earlier than that in a protected environment. If it does emerge earlier than it is viable, it will probably end up as food for a bird which - at this time of year - might be desperate for any nutrition.

Of course, it may not be a Speckled Wood...

With almost all wildlife, the "leave it alone if possible" rule is as good as any. There's no reason to put it out of its misery, as it isn't in any such pain or place.
  • A photo would help with the ID, although it is only likely to be one of 4 species, Small tortoiseshell, Peacock, Brimstone and Red Admiral although none of those look much like a SW.
  • bugslet
    I can't kill it, far too much of a wuss. I'll see if I can put it in the garage.

It's wings are folded up, so its difficult to see the pattern.

Thanks for your advice.
  • bugslet wrote: »
    I can't kill it, far too much of a wuss. I'll see if I can put it in the garage.

It's wings are folded up, so its difficult to see the pattern.

Thanks for your advice.

Just leave it it will do no harm where it is.
  • bugslet
    Just leave it it will do no harm where it is.

I'll keep my eye on it and see if it goes to sleep and then maybe move it out in a while. If it wakes up fully, it's unlikely to be able to find its way out.

The boxroom is unheated.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    .... The boxroom is unheated.

Then it's a pretty ideal place to leave it be. If you haven't seen it clearly with open wings, as I said earlier, it could be anything. It's utterly harmless and, even if it dies, it will cause no problems for you.

Good that you care!
  • Even if the boxroom is unheated it may warm up with sun (if you're lucky!) or just increasing spring temperatures (ditto); butterfly will wake up and be unable to escape - as Dafty Duck said it's best chance is if is put somewhere really cool (outside but sheltered) to prevent it waking fully before there are foodplants and/or decent conditions outside in which it can thrive - otherwise it will exhaust any energy reserves it has and die. Good luck!
  • bugslet
    I hope this butterfly is grateful for all this input:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills