Joint ownership on another Halifax account?

Shortly before my grandfather passed away a few months ago, he moved his banking to Halifax in which both his current account and savings was joint with my grandma. His name is still on the account now as we've had trouble with the death certificates but the bank are aware of the situation.

My grandma suggested to me a few weeks ago that she'd like me to become a joint name on this account, as she doesn't have access to the internet and generally wants me to keep an eye on things or have more of an ability to put money in for her or take it out for her etc.

Although I've just been thinking that I currently have my own Halifax current account, a few savings and credit card which I access through internet banking. Now say I was to then become a joint owner of this other Halifax account, is this going to merge in with my own accounts? Or is there a way to keep the internet banking and everything still separate?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Much better to get your grandma to set up a Financial Lasting Power of Attorney with you as one of the attorneys.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    As above, LPA is an good option if you need to support to that extent.

You don't need to be joint account holder to put money into the account.
    She could use the telephone banking service instead.

If you go down the route of joint accounts, this will show up on your internet banking as it will be an account you are jointly liable for.

As a side-note, this will also create a financial link and you could both be searched if one of you applies for a new product.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    As above, LPA is an good option if you need to support to that extent.

You don't need to be joint account holder to put money into the account.
    She could use the telephone banking service instead.

If you go down the route of joint accounts, this will show up on your internet banking as it will be an account you are jointly liable for.

As a side-note, this will also create a financial link and you could both be searched if one of you applies for a new product.

My grandma isn't confident in talking on the phone to places like banks or anywhere, unfortunately. I am already joint on her building society savings account but I know they don't show up on credit scores.

I explained to my grandma though that I don't want to be joint and she understood. My grandad did set up internet banking when he moved over and gave me the details for it, so I just deal with all of that for my grandma :)
  • Jlawson118 wrote: »
    My grandma isn't confident in talking on the phone to places like banks or anywhere, unfortunately. I am already joint on her building society savings account but I know they don't show up on credit scores.

I explained to my grandma though that I don't want to be joint and she understood. My grandad did set up internet banking when he moved over and gave me the details for it, so I just deal with all of that for my grandma :)
    Don't tell them that if there's ever fraud on the account.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Jlawson118 wrote: »

That shouldn't be accessible now since your Grandad's passing unless it's your Grandmother's internet banking log in details.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Jlawson118
    That shouldn't be accessible now since your Grandad's passing unless it's your Grandmother's internet banking log in details.

I think he registered it for the both of them on the understanding. Because I did mention this to the lady in the bank when removing my grandad from the account, I asked her if the internet banking from his details would still work and allow for access and she explained it would
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This needs to be checked as his internet banking should be terminated once the issue with the death certificate is sorted.

I assume at the moment registration as yet to be completed as the access will terminate when it does and your grandmother will have to register in her own name. or use her own log in details if your grandad set it up for her as well,

As suggested you using her internet banking log in and making transactions can be seen a fraud so I would make sure that you are aware and your grandmother could be contacted or access denied at any point.

Sadly I see this happen far too often when grandchildren are given access to the account and money is transfered and first thing the customer knows about it is when bills fail, and the bank are reluctant to get involved if access has been granted. Of course I am not saying this is is the case but it does happen. It can be quite upsetting when it does as they feel that they can trust their families, and the first time they know is when cards are arriving, as they have changed the telephone number on the account to their own so they customer doesn't have a idea money is going missing, and of course they agreed to lend x amount and sent via payment online and then the link is saved for ongoing transactions without verification.

I hope it gets sorted for you.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Jlawson118
    Westie983 wrote: »
    This needs to be checked as his internet banking should be terminated once the issue with the death certificate is sorted.

I assume at the moment registration as yet to be completed as the access will terminate when it does and your grandmother will have to register in her own name. or use her own log in details if your grandad set it up for her as well,

As suggested you using her internet banking log in and making transactions can be seen a fraud so I would make sure that you are aware and your grandmother could be contacted or access denied at any point.

Sadly I see this happen far too often when grandchildren are given access to the account and money is transfered and first thing the customer knows about it is when bills fail, and the bank are reluctant to get involved if access has been granted. Of course I am not saying this is is the case but it does happen. It can be quite upsetting when it does as they feel that they can trust their families, and the first time they know is when cards are arriving, as they have changed the telephone number on the account to their own so they customer doesn't have a idea money is going missing, and of course they agreed to lend x amount and sent via payment online and then the link is saved for ongoing transactions without verification.

I hope it gets sorted for you.

Westie983

You're all completely right actually! They have closed the internet banking down. I haven't logged in for a few weeks so I was just going by what the lady working in Halifax had told me.

We informed Npower of my grandad's death back when it happened, and yet they just wrote a bill and sent it in his name. We've informed them yet again and told them the money is to still come from the same account, but they've decided to straight up cancel the direct debit :mad: So I was trying to log in last night so we could give them the Sort Code and Account Number and realised online banking has been deactivated.

My grandad set it up and wrote his login details down, keeping them in the safe, solely for whenever we needed access. I think we both thought access would still be available but it is also understandable that the bank has done this
  • Jlawson118

Just out of interest, how likely is it that we would be both searched if applying for new financial products?

I can't imagine my grandma has bad history, she's always paid her credit card in full as far as I know. She only has the one credit card and after a fraud attack a year or two ago, she's too scared to use it now anyway.

Halifax have been messing us around a lot lately trying to deal with this Power of Attorney thing and the only way I can see this working without a fuss, is if I just move my basic Halifax banking elsewhere, and go joint with my grandma through Halifax. It's been an absolute nightmare dealing with it and I'm at a point now where I'll do anything for an easy life
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    You really do need to get power of attorney sorted. Your plan is full of potential pitfalls.

As to the NPower bill, this should be paid by your grandmother. The handling of probate doesn't cause any delay in your grandmother settling the debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure