BBC iPlayer now requires your address.

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The idea is that naive people will use the same email address for their iPlayer ID as they've previously used on the non-compulsory online form for people who don't need a Licence.

Well, I went to complete that form a few years ago, and gave up when it requested name, email and phone number. I've never had a colour telly or watch catch-up so would prefer to maintain my privacy and lack of spam. I do listen to radio so it will be interesting to see how things pan out. I keep abreast of developments by coming on here!
  • I've just had an email from the BBC regarding the BBC iPlayer and their change to the conditions. Changes include:

How we show you advertising on social media sites
    How we share emails with TV Licensing to check if you are using BBC iPlayer
    Asking you to provide your gender when you register for a BBC account.
    If you are happy for these changes to take place, you don’t need to do anything. If you don’t want these changes to apply, you’re free to close your account. We’d be really sorry to see you go – so if you ever have questions about your agreement with us you can read more in Using the BBC.

So there we have it. Anyone not happy with these changes can stop using iPlayer. And the BBC will be really unhappy to see you go!!!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can still get the bbc radio feeds without iplayer:

http://www.radio-browser.info/gui/#/byname/bbc
  • I believe the bbc already has our details already from May's government.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    This is a very grey area. A fact which my respected friend Cornucopia often rightly points out.
    If one doesn't wish to pay the TVL fine, but I don't believe the iPlayer will let one use it without typing 'yes' to having a TVL. But to listen to BBC radio, one doesn't need to. As theres a superb app out there called the Radioplayer -

http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/discover/a-z/a-c

No sign up required.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2017 at 10:17PM
    Also tunein.com - which is available on NowTV boxes.
  • hasdogs
    hasdogs Posts: 95 Forumite
    I've just had an email from the BBC

You gave the BBC a real email address - lol.

I have a personal privacy policy of not giving anyone any valid personal information without good reason. I have no reason to give the BBC online services any information. I have no desire to help them track my iplayer activity and let them correlate it with other personal information they will attempt to collect.

If forced to use an account I have already created half a dozen to use randomly. I wonder how many thousands of others live at broadcasting house (W1A 1AA)?

There are only two reasons why iplayer account login will be mandatory and they are either to try to enforce licensing or to assist collection of personal information which they will try to monetise.
  • hasdogs wrote: »
    You gave the BBC a real email address - lol.

I have a personal privacy policy of not giving anyone any valid personal information without good reason. I have no reason to give the BBC online services any information. I have no desire to help them track my iplayer activity and let them correlate it with other personal information they will attempt to collect.

If forced to use an account I have already created half a dozen to use randomly. I wonder how many thousands of others live at broadcasting house (W1A 1AA)?

There are only two reasons why iplayer account login will be mandatory and they are either to try to enforce licensing or to assist collection of personal information which they will try to monetise.

I don't mind giving the BBC my correct email address. I'm not on the fiddle and I pay my TV licence, so I've nothing to hide or worry about.

Personally, I look forward to the day the BBC drags a few con-merchants before the courts for using iPlayer without a licence. May the day come soon.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't mind giving the BBC my correct email address. I'm not on the fiddle and I pay my TV licence, so I've nothing to hide or worry about.

Well, I'm over 60, have been on the internet a long time, and have never had a colour television. I take a much more circumspect view of giving out my emails, and am pleased to say I get very little spam.

You are obviously like Capita in finding it hard to conceive people without televisions exist, but there are plenty of us and I've quite a number of friends and aquaintances in that number.
  • Well, I'm over 60, have been on the internet a long time, and have never had a colour television. I take a much more circumspect view of giving out my emails, and am pleased to say I get very little spam.

You are obviously like Capita in finding it hard to conceive people without televisions exist, but there are plenty of us and I've quite a number of friends and aquaintances in that number.

I'm over 60 as well. Seventy next year in fact. And also been on the internet a long time. I also get very little spam also (less than one a week), as I only give my email to those who I want to have it.

But if people don't have a colour TV, but use iPlayer, then they should be paying for a TV licence. Whether that's a Capita thing or not, I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure