PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    Nursemaggie hope your treatment is progressing OK, I have lymphodema which is a left over from my cancer treatment and found that if I don't knit then my right arm siezes up as its twice the size of my left one.

I knit blankets for The Linus Trust which donates them to children all over the world who have nothing often than the clothes on their backs. I have been doing it for the past 8 years and have lost count of the amount I have knitted over the years, but I like to think that somewhere on this planet a child goes to sleep a little warmer for one of my 'blankies' as my DGS used to call them :) I find wool from all sorts of sources, often handknitted stuff at a boot sale which I will unravel and wash and reknit up (very handy for plain white wool which I use for edging the blankets.)

I am always on the look out for inexpensive websites for DK wool and if anyone knows of any I would be grateful for a heads up. I have never seen wool in my local Aldi's or Lidl's but sometimes there is wool in Wilkos but for some reason never any yellow :)

My friend crochets for the same charity and any left over bits of balls I knit in stripes to use them up :) nothing is ever wasted

My grandchildren are now past the age for knitting things for and I am hoping I live long enough to have some gt.grandchildren :) then my needles will be clicking away again I did for awhile knit prem baby things for the local hospital in 3 and 4 ply as they were always looking for bits for the tiny little early babies.

I really enjoy knitting, as I like to be doing something useful when watching TV

Nice to see that there are other enthusiasts who like it as well

JackieO xx

Hi Jackie

Poundland and Poundworld both sell 50g balls of wool. Not sure if they still have the offer but they were doing three balls for the price of two and obviously they're only a pound a ball :-)
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for the link shami I have bookmarked it and will probably get some as it looks really good and saves me hunting round the few shops that sell wool locally .I don't have a poundland near to me unfortunately and very few knitting shops , so free posting might be a good idea .I do sometimes find off bits in CS and I am off to lancashire for a weeks holiday next Friday and my friend and I search all of the chazzers when we are away as she likes material as she makes patchwork quilts for The Linus Charity as well. Nearest Age UK shop I think to me is around 10 miles away but I will check it out when I am next in the area.

JackieO xx
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mines around 30 miles Jackie but I have to go regularly and it takes hours to get there on public transport so I may as well go there everytime I go to the hospital.

Pound shop yarn is very poor quality so I doubt if you want it anyway.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mines around 30 miles Jackie but I have to go regularly and it takes hours to get there on public transport so I may as well go there everytime I go to the hospital.

Pound shop yarn is very poor quality so I doubt if you want it anyway.

My mum has bought some and it seems very good quality and knits up quite well
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • shami
    shami Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JackieO wrote: »
    Thank you for the link shami I have bookmarked it and will probably get some as it looks really good and saves me hunting round the few shops that sell wool locally .I don't have a poundland near to me unfortunately and very few knitting shops , so free posting might be a good idea .I do sometimes find off bits in CS and I am off to lancashire for a weeks holiday next Friday and my friend and I search all of the chazzers when we are away as she likes material as she makes patchwork quilts for The Linus Charity as well. Nearest Age UK shop I think to me is around 10 miles away but I will check it out when I am next in the area.

JackieO xx

You're very welcome 😊 But bear in mind delivery usually isn't free unless spending at least £25. Also if buying for the first time you can use the code 'HELLO' (without the apostrophes) to get a further 15% off.
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Hello knitters. I've just popped in for some advice please.

When a pattern says to decrease is it the same as knitting 2 together? I always use knit 2 together for this but was wondering if there is another/better way to do it?

Thank you :)
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    There are a variety of decreases, k2tog is probably the easiest. There's also ssk (slip purlwise, slip purlwise, knit 2 together through the back loops).

k2tog produces a right-leaning decrease, ssk produces a left-leaning decrease (pro tip: whichever way your needle is pointing through the stitches is the direction the combined stitch will lean). It might be irrelevant for your pattern, but some patterns rely on decreases leaning a certain way to produce the visual effect.
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Thank you for the info will google how to do them properly :)
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    There are a variety of decreases, k2tog is probably the easiest. There's also ssk (slip purlwise, slip purlwise, knit 2 together through the back loops).

k2tog produces a right-leaning decrease, ssk produces a left-leaning decrease (pro tip: whichever way your needle is pointing through the stitches is the direction the combined stitch will lean). It might be irrelevant for your pattern, but some patterns rely on decreases leaning a certain way to produce the visual effect.

Thanks Hiddenshadow for the excellent descriptions.

It's worth noting that SSK produces the same effect as "Slip 1, Knit 1, pass slip stitch over" (an instruction that often appears in older patterns).
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure