Travel credit cards

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    skipfeeney wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just got my creation card and noticed the following on their website:

https://myaccount.creation.co.uk/info/faq.html

When I use my credit card abroad will I incur any charges for doing so?
    Yes there is a 2.99% foreign conversion charge. If you withdraw cash abroad, there is also a £5 or 5% cash handling fee (whichever is the greater)

Is that correct? I though there were no fees?
    These are the fees in general for Creation cards. If you have the Creation 'Everyday' card they are automatically refunded to you, which will be apparent on your statement.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • I have just taken out the Lloyds Avios. I also have a Halifax and got a Supercard. I want to close down some cards - don't like having too many hanging around. Is there any point keeping the Supercard? And should I keep the Halifax as backup in case or loss of the others?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Manx_Cat wrote: »
    I have just taken out the Lloyds Avios. I also have a Halifax and got a Supercard. I want to close down some cards - don't like having too many hanging around. Is there any point keeping the Supercard? And should I keep the Halifax as backup in case or loss of the others?
    If it's the Halifax Clarity, that's worth keeping for travel. Supercard likewise. Backup cards hardly weigh you down and you may be glad you kept them, one day...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Credz4
    Credz4 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I work and holiday in the Eurozone and had recently looked up a Spanish hotel on expedia, called the hotel direct and got them to price promise less 10% for booking with the hotel direct. Great move (feeling smug with self) but paid with Credit card (Nat west) and was hammered with £13 of charges and hadn't even left my office chair let alone checked in!
    Undaunted, I applied and was immediately accepted for a Creation Card (I don't do anything Halifax). Pin and card arrived in good time. I activated it via phone which was very easy and set up an online statement account also very easy. Access to statements online is easy and the site appears basic, I should say uncomplex, because that's exactly what it is. 4 tabs across the top brief summary, recent spending, full statements etc, you choose what you want and its simple! Woo hoo I like simple. Easy to understand the statement and I like that they tell you where they have deducted the exchange/foreign fee (for some reason I like to see it there). Only downside is that when I make an online payment it doesn't show or update immediately in the statement, thus I would advise paying at least 3 days before the payment due date to ensure they have received it in good time.
    Back to my spain hotel, I booked again directly with the same hotel. They gave the same deal (price promise with expedia less 10%) booked with Creation card and saved £13 in charges too (total savings of £23 if counting the 10% and the card charges) Am I clever or what!!
    Have also used Creation card to pay for hotels in Germany and again saved about £8 on fees. Have not used it for cash withdrawal and to be honest I am unlikely to do so as I have a Nationwide Flexplus account that does this FOC anyway (OMG am I Savvy or what!?) £10 fee for the Nationwide flexplus account but it also gives you annual family worldwide travel insurance (which I use) mobile phone insurance, (I hope not to use) 12 month extra warranty on electronic goods (fridge/TV etc) (on top of manufacture warranty) breakdown cover (not yet used thankfully but saves around £59 a year) and the fraud prevention/protection scheme thingy and possibly a few other things not yet mentioned, all along with something like 2.5% interest on your account balance in to the bargain. So in conclusion and as per title my feedback is as follows:

Creation Credit Card - fab wish I'd sorted it sooner. Simple but effective.

Nationwide Flexplus - recommend if family traveling, need breakdown cover or are likely to throw mobile phone down toilet & want good interest on balance with free cash withdrawal abroad.

Expedia Price promise (if not more off) booking direct with hotel after checking out cheap rates online. Simply brilliant. (Although note not ATOL protected if booking direct, but that's why we pay with credit card to get credit card protection....woo hooo!)
  • What were the £13 in fees Nat West cost you on a £100 booking?

Should be nearer £3.
  • phguk
    phguk Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your comments on Travel Credit Cards about Barclaycard suggests "there's no fees for spending or withdrawing cash abroad until 31 August 2018".

I've been with Barclaycard for 10+ years and have just ordered an additional card for a family member and the accompanying letter states "There's just one single transaction fee of 2.99% for both purchases and cash withdrawals that take place outside the UK".

Perhaps your best buy advice is incorrect ?

Thanks Paul
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    phguk wrote: »
    Your comments on Travel Credit Cards about Barclaycard suggests "there's no fees for spending or withdrawing cash abroad until 31 August 2018".

I've been with Barclaycard for 10+ years and have just ordered an additional card for a family member and the accompanying letter states "There's just one single transaction fee of 2.99% for both purchases and cash withdrawals that take place outside the UK".

Perhaps your best buy advice is incorrect ?

Thanks Paul

Different card.
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card
  • phguk
    phguk Posts: 12 Forumite
    Apologies (and well-spotted). I'd not appreciated Barclaycard offered both Platinum as well as Platinum Travel cards.

Tx Paul
  • keletkezes
    keletkezes Posts: 33 Forumite
    A couple of questions:

My Barclays Platinum card makes no mention of 'Travel' but I've been a Barclaycard customer since 2002 so I've been upgraded a few times. My statement tells me that I have 0% fee on foreign cash withdrawals until 2018. Presume that means it's OK?

Anyone know what the ATM fees are like for Canada and if withdrawing using a credit card from Scotiabank (part of the alliance with Barclays) will be cheaper/free? Hopefully I can manage without cash until I can get to a bank, which I presume will be better (i.e. actually going into the bank and withdrawing at the desk).
  • Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Try the FairFx card. I have used many times without any problems.

Five Star reviews too on trust pilot.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.fairfx.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport