Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• I just did a uswitch comparison to reduce my energy bills and found my existing supplier was offering a uswitch only deal which was excellent.

I have signed up, but its told me that to get the deal I need smart meters installed within 3 months or they will put my tariff back up.

Can they force a smart meter on me in this way and if so can I request a SMETS2 ?
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

I just did a uswitch comparison to reduce my energy bills and found my existing supplier was offering a uswitch only deal which was excellent.

I have signed up, but its told me that to get the deal I need smart meters installed within 3 months or they will put my tariff back up.

Can they force a smart meter on me in this way and if so can I request a SMETS2 ?
    My advice is to tell them to shove it. Ofgem is failing badly in ensuring Smartmeters (even Smets2) work as promised.
    See my post below. Wait until Ofgem grow a pair and the energy companies have ironed-out the appauling mess they've made of the rollout.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    My advice is to tell them to shove it. Ofgem is failing badly in ensuring Smartmeters (even Smets2) work as promised.
    See my post below. Wait until Ofgem grow a pair and the energy companies have ironed-out the appalling mess they've made of the rollout.
    Ofgem is failing badly, full stop !
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Can you not accept it, but when you check against the 'proper' one, ring and complain if it is wrong?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,598 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can you not accept it, but when you check against the 'proper' one, ring and complain if it is wrong?
    The In-House-Display is just a wireless extension to the main "smart" meter. If it can display a reading, I fail to see how it can be different to the actual meter. The IHD is just a consumer convenience and no more. If a meter loses its smart communications ability, then it is up to the consumer to read the meter and I doubt that complaining the IHD cannot show the reading will get you anywhere.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• I-LOV-MONEY
    Thank you Victor2.

So presuming the main meter is normally always right, why would the IHD be different? So by not having a smart meter you would still provide them with the same figures as if you have one. Am I missing something?
  • victor2
    Thank you Victor2.

So presuming the main meter is normally always right, why would the IHD be different? So by not having a smart meter you would still provide them with the same figures as if you have one. Am I missing something?
    The IHD should not be different to the meter(s), although it does only communicate with the gas meter through the electric meter, which in turn only gets data from the gas meter every 30 minutes or so. The gas meter is battery powered, so I assume that is to save battery life.
    With functioning smart meters you don't have to supply readings to your supplier, the meters do it automatically. If they are not (or no longer) smart, you have to provide the readings as and when necessary.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

• I-LOV-MONEY
    My property is all-electric.

I just need to be satisfied that the IHD is providing correct information to the electricity company to calculate my bills. Dewpoint, above, has cast doubt in my mind.
  • victor2
    My property is all-electric.

I just need to be satisfied that the IHD is providing correct information to the electricity company to calculate my bills. Dewpoint, above, has cast doubt in my mind.
    The IHD does not send the readings to your supplier, the smart meter does through a little comms box either built in or attached to it. If you're all electric, you may have an E7 meter, so have two readings. Either way, the meter handles it all.

The whole roll out of smart meters has been a debacle, but if you have a functioning smart meter, it transmits whatever it records as your readings.

• I-LOV-MONEY
    I have a 'half-functioning' one. It is one of the old meters; it just displays current useage but doesn't send any information to the supply company. I have to send it to them manually.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure