Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• How long after applying online did it take to receive paperwork in the post?

Ariived within 48hours with a prepaid 1st class envelope.

Love the little red stickers all over the paperwork. Tedious for the person who has to process the initial paperwork, but probably cuts down on errors.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 August 2018 at 7:05PM
    eastofeden wrote: »
    It's the drip feeding bit I'd rather use the calculator for!

Are you sure? I suspect that many don't realise that if they have regular income - including regular income from other savings products - that they put into non-regular savings accounts, then the drip-feed calculator may not be relevant.

As for what the drip-feed calculator does, is it meant to show how the feeder interest is reduced by drip feed? If so, it can be thought of as, approximately, a mirror of a regular saver. At the end of a term, an RS has a chunk that's been in for the full N months to a chunk that has only benn in for a single month. For the feeder account, one chunk has been out of the account for N months and another has only been out for 1 month.

The approximate bit is to do with how feeder account interest is deployed - compounded or extracted.

EDIT: I'm not sure either whether this calculator allows for the "make N+1 payments" trick regularly mentioned on MSE. I can't believe that it did, as it would have to ask you if the RS provider allows the extra payment, or, if they actually pay interest on a daily basis (HBSC promise this, but my experience is that they don't keep their promise!)

If it doesn't then it is a bit too elementary for those cunning MSEers. :)
  • cosh25
    cosh25 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ariived within 48hours with a prepaid 1st class envelope.

Love the little red stickers all over the paperwork. Tedious for the person who has to process the initial paperwork, but probably cuts down on errors.

Do you get a passbook with this account?
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 August 2018 at 1:40PM
    I didn't count the days it took for the pack to arrive, but it wasn't long. I received my passbook promptly by 1st class mail, and a 'phone call to check three things, e.g., purpose of saving, source of savings etc. No request to supply ID.
    My only criticism is that I would have preferred to have done it in branch, but on visiting the branch I wasn't impressed with the service so opted for snail mail.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As the proud possessor of 6 matured store RSs plus 7 open and 6 matured online RSs plus 7 open, I've been e-mailed to supply two items of ID, online or by visiting a store. As it's only 9 days since I was producing ID in the store to open the latest one, I was surprised!!

I didn't notice that in the letter acknowledging the opening of online version 12, this was requested. And then this threat in the e-mail:

"What happens if these documents are not returned?

Unfortunately, we cannot keep an account open if we have not confirmed the identity of the customer(s) named on it. Therefore, we will arrange to close the account and return any funds and accrued interest to the account from which we received them."

This is a bit overkill, isn't it?
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    schiff wrote: »
    As the proud possessor of 6 matured store RSs plus 7 open and 6 matured online RSs plus 7 open, I've been e-mailed to supply two items of ID, online or by visiting a store. As it's only 9 days since I was producing ID in the store to open the latest one, I was surprised!!

I didn't notice that in the letter acknowledging the opening of online version 12, this was requested. And then this threat in the e-mail:

"What happens if these documents are not returned?

Unfortunately, we cannot keep an account open if we have not confirmed the identity of the customer(s) named on it. Therefore, we will arrange to close the account and return any funds and accrued interest to the account from which we received them."

I had that constantly too - turned out some of my accounts had a slightly different form of my address on them. Once I changed them all to the same wording they've never asked me to do this again.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mee wrote: »
    I didn't count the days it took for the pack to arrive, but it wasn't long. I received my passbook promptly by 1st class mail, and a 'phone call to check three things, e.g., purpose of saving, source of savings etc. No request to supply ID.
    My only criticism is that I would have preferred to have done it in branch, but on visiting the branch I wasn't impressed with the service so opted for snail mail.

I had no problem opening one in the branch and it was all done at the counter. I was a current customer and had current passbook and ID with me.

Frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    schiff wrote: »
    <....>
    liamcov wrote: »
    I had that constantly too - turned out some of my accounts had a slightly different form of my address on them. Once I changed them all to the same wording they've never asked me to do this again.
    I had a similar experience the first time I tried to open an additional account after they did an IT upgrade. It appears the IT upgrade 'broke' something in the electronic verification systems (a minor difference in address makes the system think you live in two different places) it also means the system 'forgets' that you've already been ID checked.

It is massive overkill.... especially as they only threaten to close the new account, not the dozen or so other ones you have with them. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • cosh25 wrote: »
    Do you get a passbook with this account?

Yes.

Excellent service from Monmouthsire. Applied online on the evening of the 13th, account opened with first deposit registered as the 16th and full paperwork, passbook recived today.

Ok, not quite into the 21st century with an instantly opened account like many, but pretty good for predominantly a postal application.
  • After first year interest drops from 2.35% to 1.35%. Anyone closed a/c after first year and opened new one within a week or so???? You cannot have more then one open but closing first one would get round this. I have another account with them to fulfill membership requirements. Any thoughts on this much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure