Manager is completely incompetent

My team is part of several in our company and we have a particular manager who is quite high-ranking, second from the top. Me and my own line manager cannot understand how this person got this job.

On paper, they have a solid work history, which is fair enough. But it doesn't take long for anyone to understand how unskilled and inexperienced they actually are. They're not capable of effective communication, basic management or dealing with problems, let alone the advanced responsibilities they hold such as formulating commercial strategies and coordinating our teams.

What's worse is their aggression. They love ranting and blame games, and when it comes to problems they have little to no tolerance for any error, which is usual considering how unnecessarily convoluted our processes are now. They're quite unpredictable and disruptive, and have landed large problems in our laps to just deal with on occasion. This is fine to me because I like my job all the same it's very irritating because none of them really had to happen in the first place.

A while back there was a scary period where they were hurt in an accident and had to take some time off. Luckily it wasn't life-threatening but it was still serious. At the same time we all drew a sigh of relief as they weren't coming in for a while. I know that sounds bad but that's how bad they are because we knew they weren't coming in to screw something up again.

What gets me most is how unintelligent they are. They don't seem to have an "awareness" of other peoples' needs or how to handle things like abstract ideas for instance. They're so brutal with people for no reason and they definitely don't seem to offer any quality or good ideas. In fact we're not really sure WHAT they do apart from get paid to mess with people and it's unbelievable and outrageous.

What is true is that they work hard. That I respect. And they are responsible for a few advanced admin tasks. Yet that's not really enough because only they have registered access to our database for those tasks. The experience we've had is that they clearly incompetent and just are not fit for the job and we're all wondering why how a moron got to be such a high ranking manager. And hasn't been sacked already.

Our current speculations are:
- Our higher management is made up of total idiots who can't employ people. I'm doubtful as we do alright at the end of the day
- Their husband is mates with her own boss. Very unlikely though
- They're sleeping with higher management. One person here honest to God swears on this
- They are just mates with a few people who can pull the strings at HR. Possibility as our HR system is corrupt
- The company cares more about relationships than its own efficiency. Possibility but we can't work out what they even bring in that aspect

I don't know, thoughts? Also have you worked with managers who obviously are unfit to be in management positions and how did you deal with them?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thought you were talking about the place I quit in February!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    I don't know, thoughts? Also have you worked with managers who obviously are unfit to be in management positions and how did you deal with them?
    Sounds like you are unfit to be in the job role tbh, with an attitude like that!

Or maybe you should speak to the top brass and ask them whether the people they hired in higher management are "idiots"?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:29PM
    Gossiping with your manager about someone higher up the food chain is never going to end well.

If it's affecting you directly, raise it formally in with your manager and let them do their job to resolve it. If that doesn't work, live with it or raise a grievance or leave.

If it's not directly affecting you, stop stirring and let everyone else resolve their own issues. If they're second in command and you're several steps down, quite simply it's not your role to deal with them unless you're willing to take the chance on making things official.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • snilloct1957
    snilloct1957 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It sounds like you work in Dilbert's office...:rotfl:
  • milkand1sugar
    milkand1sugar Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:59PM
    Les79 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are unfit to be in the job role tbh, with an attitude like that!
    Since everyone's guilty of that then we should all be sacked. Everyone is *wrong apart from the manager because... they're just the manager! Ok bud. That perspective just comes across as a little cowardly.
    elsien wrote: »
    Gossiping with your manager about someone higher up the food chain is never going to end well.
    Can I ask if you have ever had a job? I'm afraid to suggest that gossip is a fact of life in the workplace. Your tone suggests that you seem required to "nanny" and "parent". Even though it might have been your experience that others like this, everyone back here are adults who are quite comfortable to think for themselves. So cut it out.

As explained, HR is not reliable. And there would never be a point in taking things to them as we don't understand how they got employed and still are. Common sense dictates they have some power or someone had some power and there are factors outside competence that got them the job. This is the mystery at hand which I am scouting for answers for.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 9:14PM
    Since everyone's guilty of that then we should all be sacked. Everyone is *wrong apart from the manager because... they're just the manager! Ok bud. That perspective just comes across as a little cowardly.

Can I ask if you have ever had a job? I'm afraid to suggest that gossip is a fact of life in the workplace. Your tone suggests that you seem required to "nanny" and "parent". Even though it might have been your experience that others like this, everyone back here are adults who are quite comfortable to think for themselves. So cut it out.

As explained, HR is not reliable. And there would never be a point in taking things to them as we don't understand how they got employed and still are. Common sense dictates they have some power or someone had some power and there are factors outside competence that got them the job. This is the mystery at hand which I am scouting for answers for.

:rotfl:
    Yep, you're coming across as extremely adult at present.
    You don't want to take any of the options in dealing with it, so why not drag your gossiping onto a public forum. That should help.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Since everyone's guilty of that then we should all be sacked. Everyone is right apart from the manager because... they're just the manager! Ok bud. That perspective just comes across as a little cowardly.

Cowardly eh?

I've done my time in crap jobs in the past, 10 years of them.

Incompetent managers? TICK
    Being bullied? TICK
    Workplace rife with gossip? TICK

I probably had the odd rant like yours here, but it all boiled down to one thing; DO SOMETHING BETTER WITH YOUR LIFE. Become one of these "unintelligent" people yourself... Or go find an employer who treats you better. You are, after all, an "adult" and, presumably, not a coward.

The clich! 'life is unfair' is so true! Not all jobs are given on merit, and not all merit is rewarded. If you can accept that it becomes slightly easier to deal with stuff like this.

How long did it take you to write your rant message here? 30 mins? Or how much time do you spend "gossiping" on a daily basis? Could have done a job application in that time, or looked into further education, or even chilled out with a hobby you like.

My perspective is that of someone in a decent job, one which regularly hires mid 20s people fresh out of their PHD/masters when, at that age, I was scrubbing the McDonalds' bogs and being shouted at by 18 year old pipsqueaks for not doing it quick enough.

There was lots of "gossiping" and slagging people off in places like that, but I always wanted better FOR ME so never engaged with such trashy thinking. If my boss is "unintelligent" then so be it, tolerate it and work on MYSELF.
  • Les79 wrote: »
    Cowardly eh?
    Yes.
    elsien wrote: »
    You don't want to take any of the options in dealing with it, so why not drag your gossiping onto a public forum. That should help.
    We're all tired of their behavior, it's out of control. It's really unfair and difficult to everyone. Plus its clear that they simply don't have the skill to do what they're supposed to do. What's the options? Put up and shut up?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The upshot is that your manager is an incompetent fool, but has achieved a higher ranking position within the company because they are less stupid than the people they have been employed to manage. Perfectly normal.
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP - Once you realise that in life it's not what you know, it's who you know, you'll be better off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure