PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    We all have those drat and blast moments Mrs SD don't abandon hope, keep with us as your input is a warning to others to check their temperatures in the fridge which during this heat wave is important.So easily forgotten or accidently turned down.

JackieO xx
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks JackieO - I originally debated with myself whether to post or not :o but decided if I put it in black & white I was more likely to remember to make checking fridge temperature an automatic process :rotfl:

MrsSD xx
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have bot some burgers left in the fridge which had previously been frozen so no choice but to eat them today. I'd originally got them out as there were supposed to be 6 for lunch but ended up only being 4, so at least they won't be wasted. Will have with some salad. DH will have his with buns to fill him up!

Denise
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....
    That's a good idea!
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I left some butter out of the fridge. It's gone rancid. Is there any way of saving it?
    I wouldn't risk it, apart from the horrible taste, I always think you have to be really careful with dairy, could make you really ill
    Hi there everyone,

:o:cry: sorry to report that after two days back from holiday I discovered that the fridge temperature was on its lowest setting (must have put too much in & moved the temp setting :( ) so I have had to bin the following (after resetting the temperature to very cold)

Three four pint cartons of milk, four large lumps of cheese (I don’t have a problem cutting off green/blue bits but never risk eating furry cheese :o ), a tub of furry Philadelphia, a pot of potato salad & a packet of furry ham:(.
    Oh the waste of both food & money & I haven’t checked all the glass jars or the butter yet :eek: I must do that today & also give the fridge it’s 2nd thorough clean in a month! I will chalk it up to a costly experience which has made me paranoid about checking the temperature every time I open the fridge door:eek::eek:
    However, one good thing - the garage is slightly emptier so although the motorbike still won’t fit (Dsis’s Furniture from France) the old fridge/freezer was restarted yesterday so I will have plenty of space to reorganise both the fridge & freezer. I can then menu plan properly & also start batch cooking when the hot weather becomes a distant memory:rotfl:

So from a very sorry & chastened LFHWr, I will wish you good bye

MrsSD

Oh no poor you, what a sickener! But it's what you do most of the time which counts, so onwards and upwards :)
  • Hopeless_Case
    One thing which has been a revelation is how long you can make spring onions last if you keep them and use all of them - I tend to only use them in salads, and just chop in a small amount, and I'd have cut the white bit and thrown the rest away before, but one spring onion lasts me for days now :)

I'm fighting the heat with the fruit, wish I had room in the fridge! I'm down to just a few oranges now but I'm going to eat them before buying anything else as I'm sick of eating over ripe fruit :(
    Buying YS and 30 degree heat is not a good recipe for making purchases last all week....
  • We've just had lunch using up the last of a few packs of things from the fridge, a pack of hummus chips from store and blackberries, loganberries and redcurrants from the garden with some Greek yoghurt, it might have been a scratch meal but it was absolutely delicious!
  • Does anyone know if you can freeze goose fat? I buy a 1kg tub from my work (cash and carry) as it works out so much cheaper but funny enough at this time of year I don't tend to have many roast dinners!! Don't want to waste it.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I had some in my fridge for months didnt go off.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Does anyone know if you can freeze goose fat? I buy a 1kg tub from my work (cash and carry) as it works out so much cheaper but funny enough at this time of year I don't tend to have many roast dinners!! Don't want to waste it.

I don't actually know but I would have thought so
  • pamsdish wrote: »
    I had some in my fridge for months didnt go off.

Definitely! But I've already had it for quite a few months and didn't want to push my luck lol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback