PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, Jamie! While wondering what to do with a couple of carrots in the fridge & a whack of fresh mint that just fell off when I re-potted my herbs, I had Jamie Oliver on in the background & he just made a carrot, mint, orange & red wine vinegar salad - boom! Just used up my carrots, mint, an orange & the last dribble of my red wine vinegar in the back of the cupboard!

Job done & lunch for Monday sorted!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • YorksLass wrote: »
    :hello: Please do, the more the merrier!

Well, we usually have that lonely green one sliced and gently fried with thin strips of beef and onions, served with noodles and a dash of soy sauce, but joedenise's idea of stuffing it is good too. My "go to" stuffing is usually a mix of finely chopped mushrooms and grated cheese, topped with breadcrumbs for a crunchy topping (but I know you don't eat bread :D).

Glad you enjoyed your holiday and well done on that haul of wool (saw your post on the OS Daily) - that will keep your needles clicking away for a while!

Ooh, they're my favourite apple! I'm guessing they're perhaps a bit on the tart side for you. Maybe you might like them better grated into scone mix to make apple scones or how about adding to plain yogurt with a spoonful of honey and sprinkled with a little cinnamon or nutmeg? I find they go well thinly sliced in a sandwich with a crumbly white cheese like Cheshire or Lancashire.

I have a Dolmio garlic & tomato stir-in pasta sauce that's gone OOD so I'm going to pinch your brilliant idea and add it to a cheapy carton of passata the next time I need a pasta sauce. :T
    Yes I do find them a bit tart, although it's odd because our friend always gives us apples from his tree which are much tarter and I love them, maybe because they're fresh so they're crisper and a stronger flavour? My go-to supermarket apples are Braeburns
    Lovely ideas, thanks :) - I love the idea of them sliced on a sandwich, and that would work well in a big homous salad too I think
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I followed a Pinterest page!

Basically just put eggs, milk, cinnamon & vanilla flavouring into a bowl, made the French toast as normal by frying it, let it cool completely & then froze it in batches. I plan on sticking it on a bakin sheet in the oven tomorrow straight from frozen so I!!!8217;ll let you know how that goes!
    This is great, thanks - we get so much bread waste and this would give an easy-to-make snack too, so brilliant :)
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I did a complete inventory of my freezers, put it all on an excel sheet, then it got deleted and unrecoverable, so at least my freezers are organised and it won`t take long to redo, in a note book,.
    I will then make a menu plan, at least I have had little spends this week as trying to use up as much as I can, chicken in the slow cooker will probably have with salad.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    YorksLass the diced mushrooms and cheese sound like a good idea true I don't eat bread, but I may have a go with some dried stuffing mix on top and do it in my remoska to crisp the top up.

I use dried stuffing mix as a coating for Scotch eggs or pork fillet slices and it does add a lovely savoury taste

I could also dribble a touch of balsamic vinegar, or sweet chilli sauce inside the green pepper with the mushroom and grated cheese mix
    Hmm hat sounds like dinner tomorrow night is sorted with a small tomato salad as a side. I will let you know how it tastes.

I wonder how many green peppers get binned as they always seem to be left in the fridge. Savoury stuffing as a change from meat could be a good meat-free Monday meal. I enjoy meat but also like veggie options at least twice a week. I am off to see my little great granddaughter today with Dd and the family I found a lovely winnie -the-pooh bear at a fete when I was on holiday and its really cute with a little cream tee shirt on.

Have a great Sunday chums.I am having some diced strawberries with yogurt for breakfast, and I crunch up a few bran flakes in with them as well for 'bite '

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JackieO: Glad you like the mushroom/cheese stuffed pepper idea - and I just knew you'd be able to find a substitute for the breadcrumbs! ;)

I think the reason why the green peppers always get left till last is because they're not quite as sweet as the red or orange ones. I wonder if they'd ripen on a sunny windowsill or would they just go wrinkly? We use a lot of peppers and I usually buy the sm value bags but of late they've had more green ones in than I'd like to have. :(

Hopeless Case: Another idea for the apples - you could always chop them up and throw into a curry.

beenthere_donethat: Wow, you're having a busy kitchen day - it all sounds very yummy. :)

kboss2010: Thanks for the update on how the French toast turned out; I might try that when I get some room in the freezer. :o Generally not a fan of Jamie Oliver but that carrot et al salad does sound good.

Dinner today will be gammon, new potatoes, cauliflower and swede/carrot mash. Only a small piece of gammon but it will stretch to two more meals during the week (and maybe enough bits left over for a quiche), as will the cauli. DH is on spud prep right now and I've asked him to do extra to make hm potato salad for tomorrow and some sliced and sauteed later in the week. Dessert - if wanted - can be ice cream or jelly & fruit pots.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We've been away for a week and today I tackled all the sad veg I'd left in the fridge due to no freezer space. I'm sure someone on here mentored a 'cream of green soup' so I used that idea and made some out of yellowing Pak choi, wilty mixed salad leaves, broccoli stems, a couple of bendy carrots, onion, garlic, stock and a pint of milk that was old but still smelling ok. A bit of smoked paprika, a handful of red lentils and some cayenne pepper and I've ended up with a panful of delicious soup which will feed me for lunch all week. Hooray!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 14 June 2018 at 6:17AM
    that sounds really nice and well done for using everthing you can up.I love doing this and to me its as good as a 'free' meal. Tonight I am going to do the green pepper stuffed with mushrooms,cheese a dash of chilli sauce and topped with the dried stuffing mix I dug out a beetroot that I had in the freezer from before Christmas, and that will be diced with a little bit of red onion, tomato and a slurp of balsamic vinegar ,so lots of veggies and a meat-free Monday night dinner,pudding will be some left over strawberries and the last bit of clotted cream I brought home from holiday. Using up odds and ends of stuff means less shopping and more cash leftin my purse win-win for me :):):)
  • My mum and dad popped round this morning before leaving for a weeks holiday and gave me some broccoli and green beans which they didn't want to waste. So I've got some chicken out the freezer and am going to have a Thai green curry and throw them in.
  • Have not been posting for a while as I was so ashamed of the amount of food we binned at my DSis’s house :eek: However have now been back home for 2.5 weeks and I am in charge of food shopping & the shopping lists :T :rotfl:
    I have been reading along though, so have seen all the wonderful ideas & how they have been tweaked to individual tastes. I am so impressed:T

Tonight I will be using leftovers from last night’s chicken, new potato & green beans dinner together with the last of my lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, cucumber & beetroot. There are ham slices, salami, potato salad & coleslaw available now after yesterday's sm trip. So plenty for three & I can have any los tomorrow.

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    Happy to report that the lonely green pepper that was sitting in my fridge unloved and forgotten while I was on holiday is no more I ate it last night and it was delicious as stated filled with diced mushrooms and grated cheese topped with dried stuffing mix and drizzled with chilli sauce, the little red salad of chopped up red onion beetroot and tomato and a slurp of balsamic vinegar was delicious I also had the tail end bottle of sweet pickle mixed in as well.No more binning green peppers for me Very tasty and I will have this again as a meat-free monday meal.

Tonight I am at quiz night so no cooking for me but Lunchtime I will have some carrot and coriander soup and a couple of crackers with pate from the fridge and some diced left over beetroot from last night.

Whenever Aldis have their special offer vacuum packed beetroot usually five or six to a pack for about 39p I buy a pack and portion up individually and freeze and its fine once defrosted for me on my own to add a bit of colour,bulk and flavour to a salad. Cheaper than buying a bottle of the sliced stuff, also helps fill those odd corners in the freezer.I wrap in clingfilm tightly and they keep beautifully once frozen.

Hope you all have a good day today

JackieO xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport