Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Comments

• Murielson
    Murielson Posts: 267
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Recommendations from anyone who may have recently found good deals for reading glasses please.

Need +1.5's but worried about buying cheaply (and getting something that will fall apart and/or be too flimsy) and paying too much. Would like a few pairs to leave at various places for when I forget them or when I sit on a pair and break them!!
  • SelectSpecs_company_representative
    SelectSpecs_company_representative Posts: 159 Organisation Representative
    johnrrose wrote: »
    The article includes this...
    RETAILER COST OF CHEAPEST FRAMES WITH LENSES (INCL DELIVERY)
    Selectspecs £10

Sadly, the provider says that the free delivery only applies to orders over £75.
    It would be better if this were made clear?
    Are providers required to OK information shown here?
    JRR

Hi,

Just to clarify, our cheapest glasses are £6 with delivery at £5.95. So the total including delivery is £11.95 (See here).

So the information on this page http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-glasses is incorrect. Hopefully someone at MSE will be able to update this table.

James P @ SelectSpecs
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • GraceCourt
    GraceCourt Posts: 317
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2017 at 2:49PM
    This site is famous for looking after consumers, and Martin's reputation as a consumer champion is - quite rightly - well known. But I think the recommendations for suppliers of cheap spectacles haven't been properly researched.

My wife decided to go with the recommendation of goggles4u.co.uk, but asked me for help when she had trouble paying with her American Express card. I took one look at the site and had serious concerns.

Firstly, the trader "behind" the site isn't identified. UK consumer protection legislation (Regulation 25 of The Company, Limited Liability Partnership and Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015, made under Sections 82 to 85 of the Companies Act 2006) requires certain information to be disclosed on the Web sites and on the "business communications" of the trader - this includes invoices, e-mails, delivery notes, etc. Failure to comply is a criminal offence under Regulation 28, yet there's no disclosure on the site. More investigation needed!

The registrant of the domain goggles4u.co.uk is revealed as a UK individual called "Skybeans", at a terraced house in a residential area of Swindon - 132 Redcliffe Street, Rodbourne, Swindon SN2 2BY, to be exact. An informed guess is that "Skybeans" is using an American company's affiliate scheme to make a few quid, but clearly anyone daft enough to send money to "Skybeans" for their spectacles, with no legal recourse whatsoever if there's a problem, gets everything they deserve, and for this anonymous entrepreneur's site to be promoted by MoneySavingExpert when he - or she - is committing a criminal offence under basic UK consumer protection legislation is a bit of an "own goal" for Martin.

And, of course, with the address given being in the USA, you can forget any protection whatsoever for your personal data. So, rather than promoting this site, MSE should be campaigning for it to be shut down and for the trader behind it to be prosecuted.

Not good enough, Martin! :shocked:
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another point is under Nominet rules you cannot register as a "UK individual" ie a private (non trading) person , and also run a business from that site.
    Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:
    132 Redcliffe Street
    Rodbourne
    Swindon
    Wiltshire
    SN2 2BY
    United Kingdom

Data validation:
    Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source
  • GraceCourt
    GraceCourt Posts: 317
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 6:12PM
    I'm publishing the following in relation to my failed attempts to get 123reg Ltd to do anything about the goggles4u.co.uk domain that has been registered by them despite the confirmed breaches of Nominet UK terms and conditions by the anonymous trader behind the site. Support staff wouldn't respond to any of my questions or even pass on this information to their directors, so I'm publishing this, and have undertaken to add any response by the company to this thread:

"The sole trader, partnership, or incorporated legal entity trading via the goggles4u.co.uk domain has not included the information required by UK consumer protection legislation. Regulation 25 of The Company, Limited Liability Partnership and Business (Names and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2015, made under Sections 82 to 85 of the Companies Act 2006, requires certain information to be disclosed on the Web sites and on the "business communications" of the trader - this includes invoices, e-mails, delivery notes, etc. Failure to comply is a criminal offence under Regulation 28.

The domain is registered by a UK individual identified only as "Skybeans" at 132 Redcliffe Street, Rodbourne, Swindon SN2 2BY, and therefore control and enforcement is within the jurisdiction of the English Courts. Having seen that liability in previous claims has been denied on the basis that the trader is based in the USA, a request was made to Nominet UK for the domain to be suspended in relation to the Regulation 28 offence, with a view to shutting down the site. Nominet confirmed that the failure to properly register the domain with 123reg Limited was a breach of the Nominet terms and conditions and that therefore all relevant information should be sent to 123reg Limited, as the UK registrar of the domain, for action. Accordingly, a number of e-mails were sent to the company secretary of 123reg.co.uk asking for their co-operation, in order to protect unwary consumers who might be fooled into purchasing goods or services from the anonymous trader running
    goggles4u.co.uk, but the company refused to do so, and ignored the specific questions in a follow-up mail and an invitation to provide an explanation why, despite the advice from Nominet UK, they were not addressing the breach of Nominet UK terms and conditions. The response failed even to confirm that it was sent on behalf of the company.

As most of you know, ruthless Government cuts have rendered local authority Trading Standards officers all but impotent, and much of the non-enforcement role previously undertaken by TS officers was palmed off to Citizens Advice (a charity!) many years ago. Consequently, levels of online fraud have reached unprecedented levels, and it has become more important than ever to act quickly to protect consumers proactively before trying to recover money on behalf of those who have already been duped - "plug the leak before baling the boat".

Their failure to take any action whatsoever raises serious concerns about 123reg Limited's corporate ethics. Their unwillingness even to respond to specific questions or to explain their "laissez faire" attitude to Nominet rules and criminal conduct by an anonymous "rogue trader" registrant using their services is something for the general public to consider carefully. Meanwhile, the site is still active and "Skybeans" is still trading illegally - and, thanks to 123reg Limited, completely anonymously."

Hopefully, anyone thinking of sending money to "Skybeans" in Swindon will see this before doing so... :)
  • Hi, wondering if anyone could offer any advice on where to get cheap spectacles for those with big heads (literally as opposed to metaphorically!).

I've got some nice glasses but what I need are some for a work environment where breakage is a possibility, and recompense from the employer is limited.

• Hi, I am looking to buy some cheap glasses online but I am struggling a bit to find anywhere that specifically offers frames designed to fit larger heads. I'm not talking about an outlandishly coconut sized bonce, just larger than average!

Might anyone have any advice? Thanks for any help or pointers!

(I did post a similar question in the 'Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan' discussion, but as it's the 1189th post in the thread it might be somewhat buried out of sight!)
  • Patr100
    Forumite
    Been looking at online specs sellers lately.

For a start, SelectSpecs are violating the Distance Selling Regulations (now the Consumer Contracts Regulations) by not refunding original postage cost and charging a restocking fee.

Should you wish to obtain a refund for any reason, the cost of the frames and lenses, or in the case of a reglaze the cost of the lenses will be refunded in full, postage costs are non-refundable.

Three or more items returned for a refund will incur a £5.00 restocking fee per item

https://www.selectspecs.com/info/returns/

2. You've up to 28 days after DELIVERY to return goods. That's 14 days to cancel and 14 days after cancellation to return.
    3. The refund is for the goods AND delivery charge.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2016/03/revealed-13-major-stores-web-return-rights-are-wrong

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,970
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Patr100 wrote: »
    Been looking at online specs sellers lately.

For a start, SelectSpecs are violating the Distance Selling Regulations (now the Consumer Contracts Regulations) by not refunding original postage cost and charging a restocking fee.

https://www.selectspecs.com/info/returns/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2016/03/revealed-13-major-stores-web-return-rights-are-wrong

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

"Any postage fees incurred for returning items to us will need to be covered by the sender, unless we have made an error, where a maximum of £8.50 will be refunded or held as a credit."
  • Patr100
    Forumite
    In the main page for glasses buying one seller appears to have since vanished

http://www.perfectspecs.co.uk

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-glasses
    Needs updating(last update: Updated 7 Jun 2016)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback