Some advice please

Comments

• kazwookie wrote: »
    Car ins is that correct?

Can you up your income, take in a lodger etc?

I privately rent and subletting is not allowed on my tenancy.
    My rent hasn't gone up in the 8 yrs i've been here so don't want to upset my landlord.
  • Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    It's probably be cheaper to get rid of the car, and go to work by taxi.

I have contacted a local firm for a quote to see how much it would cost.
  • Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Your car is costing you £4,300 per year to run, which is a massive amount for such a comparatively low millage. Can you use alternative travel methods?
    My insurance was wrong, now adjusted so should look a little bit better!
    Stuck in a contract with Plusnet until next April. I contacted them yesterday and they 100% will not budge.
    How do I legally not pay TV Licence.?
    I can't afford contents insurance at the moment but it will be a priority as soon as I'm in a better position.
    Same for emergency fund sadly.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well your debt is the easy part, despite your reservations on your car value, Parker’s lowest price would most likely have it at sub £1000, so a DRO still may be possible.

The problem is your budget is unworkable as it is, your rent is massive compared to your income as a whole, the DRO would write off the current debt, but you are still running a massive deficit every month, so your problems would not go away.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    How do I legally not pay TV Licence.?

You don’t watch live broadcast TV, as long as you don’t watch any live broadcast television, you do not need a TV license.

You can watch catch up services or use a DVD player.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If your rent has not changed for several years, what was your salary when you took the property on?

You need a new job, or a 2nd job / part time / agency work / weekend work.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 April 2019 at 7:56PM
    sourcrates wrote: »
    You don’t watch live broadcast TV, as long as you don’t watch any live broadcast television, you do not need a TV license.

You can watch catch up services or use a DVD player.

TV licence is now needed to watch BBC iPlayer. https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ291
  • sourcrates
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    TV licence is now needed to watch BBC iPlayer. https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ291

With one exception it seems......
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    There is little to no leeway to save on your soa and certainly nowhere near enough to repay those debts. Getting rid of the car would produce the most savings but it depends on how workable that is with transport in your area.

Your biggest problems are comparitively high rent and council tax for just one person and low wages. If you are not entitled to benefits the usual recommendation is to move into a shared house but I can see you have pets which will be an issue. I would say taking on a second job is your best option. What hours do you work? Presumably that is not full time as it would be below minimum wage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Well done for taking up my suggestion on the other thread that you post a soa. It does make things clearer.

Even if you qualified for a DRO, now is not the time as you are £150 short of making ends meet each month and so your debt will be increasing.

A few things worth mentioning:

Are you paying your council tax over 12 months? That will be an option if you go on to your council's website.

If you do decide you can avoid the need for a tv licence, it's an easy self-declaration online and gives you protection for (I think) 2 years.

With that level of income and rent, a few years ago you would have expected to get some help. I suspect what is happening is that you are under 35 and in the private sector - so restricted to the 'single room rate' in housing cost calculations.

If so, how long till you hit 35 and is there any chance of getting into social housing?

I suspect at some point you will need a DRO (and will qualify) to tidy things up. Bear in mind that when you do so, the ful year's council tax can be included as long as you have lost the right to pay in instalments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure