Best way to remove grout haze?

Hi guys,

Recently tiled my bathroom, porcelain tiles with a grey grout... I removed as much of the grout from the tiles as I could, but now its dried I can see the tiles have some haze on them.

I have tried EVERYTHING! From hard elbow grease to a "Grout haze remover" from ebay. Any suggestions or should I just live with it?

Comments

• Some porcelain tiles have lots of little "pin" holes all over them, as part of the pattern. They are normally covered with a sort of cling film which should be left on while tiling and grouting. If not (and our bathroom fitter failed to leave it on) you get grout in all the little pin holes. The only way to remove it is with a sharp pointed tool like and engineer's scriber and hours and hours of boring work. I gave up after two tiles.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I found pan scourers to work well, the stainless steel scrunchy type. They brought my tiles up to a shine a treat.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,450
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Use a large hand towel for polishing them.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A microfibre cloth should work in polishing the tiles.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Welcome to MSE. :)

What type of product or technique do the manufacturers/ stockists suggest? Maybe e-mail them to ask?

Not helpful to you, but might help someone else reading this thread .... My mother's solution is to grout only in the gaps not over the face of the tile. Wipe carefully as you go, change the water frequently.

The grouting obviously takes much longer but the result is worth it. Mums know best as always!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Use lithofin cement remover. Try neat first and use a nail brush/ scrubber . Apply with a micro fibre

You could use stronger brick acid but you run the risk of further damage
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If it's that the haze is surface lying, not the grout seeped into the tiles themselves, you can get a polisher attachment for a drill, it'll be easier than doing it by hand.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • DIYDave1
    DIYDave1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Thank you for all of your help people!

I purchase a few drill attachements, various brushes and scrubbers and found one from ToolStation that workeded pretty well. (Some didnt last 5 minutes with the porcelain tiles) Even still, it took a long time and I have done half the bathroom and I will have to find some mental energy to attack the rest!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure