Unsure if my mum has a valid ppi claim or not

Options
A_Frayed_Knot
A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 17 April 2019 at 8:44PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
I have all the paperwork, but it is complicated.

Definitely mis sold ppi for numerous reasons.

The salesman (double glazing) got my dad to take out finance and sign the paperwork but also asked my mum to sign it as well, unaware of any ppi.

However I phoned the company, after 5 years, on my dad's passing, they took 1 more payment (shouldn't have done, but we had other things on our mind at that time) then cleared the balance outstanding.

So trying to find out if my mum would have a valid claim.

Many thanks.
Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    Options
    When was it sold to them?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Many years ago now. probably about 14 or 15 years ago at a guess, I can look the paperwork out.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it was before 14th January 2005 then its pre-regulation and the double glazing company would not be regulated. If it was after then they would be and a complaint can be made to them.
    However I phoned the company, after 5 years, on my dad's passing, they took 1 more payment (shouldn't have done, but we had other things on our mind at that time) then cleared the balance outstanding.

The debt would still need paying on death. So, it would have been paid one way or the other.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You haven't said why you feel it was miss-sold (or what evidence you have to support that) so hard for anyone to say one way or the other if you feel you have a valid claim.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If it was before 14th January 2005 then its pre-regulation and the double glazing company would not be regulated. If it was after then they would be and a complaint can be made to them.

The debt would still need paying on death. So, it would have been paid one way or the other.

Bought in 19/11/04.

So if the ppi company did not pay the balance, then my mum would have had to pay off the balance?
    Is this correct ? which means better left alone ? no claim.
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    You haven't said why you feel it was miss-sold (or what evidence you have to support that) so hard for anyone to say one way or the other if you feel you have a valid claim.

1. Was not told this was added, so didn't realise they had it.
    2. Was Retired and had been for over 12 years, and had
    3. Existing Medical problems

The other complication being they were told it was a 5 year plan, when actually when I read the very small print (years later), said it was for 10 years, thus making 3 normal sized double glazed windows over £10,000, when they were told the price would be £5,000 which is still very much overpriced (I have just had 11 windows installed for £4,500).

Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So if the ppi company did not pay the balance, then my mum would have had to pay off the balance?

PPI in most cases covers Accident, Sickness & Unemployment. Most do not cover death. Although some do. If the PPi did pay the debt then there is little to complain about.

If it didnt cover death, then the debt should be repaid from the estate (which would include joint savings).
    which means better left alone ?

As it is pre-regulation, it doesnt really matter. The double glazing company doesnt have to consider any complaint.
    1. Was not told this was added, so didn't realise they had it.
    2. Was Retired and had been for over 12 years, and had
    3. Existing Medical problems

1 - Weak reason - unproveable. Plus, it would have appeared on the credit agreement.
    2 - strong reason
    3 - may or may not be a strong reason. Depends on the condition.

However, again, as its pre-regulation, it doesnt matter.
    The other complication being they were told it was a 5 year plan, when actually when I read the very small print (years later), said it was for 10 years, thus making 3 normal sized double glazed windows over £10,000, when they were told the price would be £5,000 which is still very much overpriced (I have just had 11 windows installed for £4,500).
    Yep, all bad but pre-regulation......
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure