Cost to renovate 3 bedroom 1930's house?

Hi all,

Me and my husband have recently bought a 1930's 3 bedroom house which needs extensive refurbishment.

I was wondering if you guys could give me a rough idea as to the price of things, I know it is difficult without knowing the house etc, we are based in the North London

We Want to keep the costs as low as possible, as it was hard enough to get a deposit!

It needs

New electrics
Central heating
Redecorating throughout
One wall knocked down and RSJ put in and knocking down of chimney breast
New windows
New bathroom
New Kitchen + appliances
Plastering
Fireplace
Extension

Any ideas, I don't know where to start or how much all this could cost. if anyone on here has had any of the above done or could pass on some advice that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Tas

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 April 2019 at 4:11PM
    You could very easily spend £40k before you get to the extension.

The question is do you need it all doing before you move in or are you prepared to see it as a work in progress once you start to live there?

The electrics and the central heating are likely to be the most intrusive so I would suggest getting quotes for those first.
    Knocking down followed by plastering would be the next phase.
    Assuming that you were not altering the current layouts too much its then the refitting windows,bathroom and kitchen

You might want to consider the windows before the plastering so as not to disturb the edges too much but some window companies would suggest it can be done after plastering

A few years back we did an extensive renovation it came in a little under £40k and took around 6 months to complete although we did some of the work ourselves and were not living in the property at the time sop it was a weekend and evenings job once the main bits of the shell had beencompleted.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I do this for a living.

Average prices I would expect to charge for the above, except the extension and I'm at £55-£60k already.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Thank you for your response
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm in Somerset, so prices may not reflect London prices, but I'm in the process of buying a 1930's semi and have had an estimate from a local builder for works required. It has new central heating and double-glazing, but needs -

new upstairs bathroom formed from separate bathroom and loo, new suite fitted and plumbed

shower room to be formed from downstairs storage rooms and outside loo, suite fitted and plumbed

wall removing between kitchen and dining room

kitchen fitting and plumbing

all ceilings (reception room and bedrooms) to be plaster-boarded and skimmed.

I have had an estimate of £16k but this does not include the cost of bathroom fittings or kitchen units/appliances, tiling, flooring, electrics.

The meter/consumer unit needs moving as it is at floor level in a room destined to be the shower room. Wiring upgraded for use of 2 showers, double oven and hob and extra sockets.

Some radiators will be replaced with vertical ones if budget allows.

The builder has also quoted £2500 for whole house internal repainting, but we'll probably do that ourselves.

It looks like I'll need at least one chimney breast removing to accommodate the new kitchen layout, and maybe a bedroom one too. I also want a utility sink installed and storage formed in the back of the attached garage.

My rather tight budget is -
    Builder's estimate + £2k contingency 18k
    Kitchen + appliances 8k
    Bath/shower room fittings 3k
    Tiling and flooring 5k
    Electrics 2k
    Chimney breast removal 2k
    Utility 2k

Total £40k with some contingency.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • Thank you for your response!
  • king132
    king132 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tassy88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Me and my husband have recently bought a 1930's 3 bedroom house which needs extensive refurbishment.

I was wondering if you guys could give me a rough idea as to the price of things, I know it is difficult without knowing the house etc, we are based in the North London

We Want to keep the costs as low as possible, as it was hard enough to get a deposit!

It needs

New electrics
    Central heating
    Redecorating throughout
    One wall knocked down and RSJ put in and knocking down of chimney breast
    New windows
    New bathroom
    New Kitchen + appliances
    Plastering
    Fireplace
    Extension

Any ideas, I don't know where to start or how much all this could cost. if anyone on here has had any of the above done or could pass on some advice that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Tas

I bought a three bed 1930's last year and I am in the process of doing all the works you have mentioned and a lot more.

I do not want to put you off but you have mentioned that 'it was hard enough to get a deposit'.

Well, what you are trying to do (with extension) you are looking at over 100k. Unless you can do a big chunk of the work yourself or have family and friends in the trade

If you are planning to live in the house while carrying out the works then forget it...

Renovating an old house is like opening a can of worms. Unless you have time, energy and money to invest then you are better off keeping that lid closed.
  • Bought my house 2.5 years ago, 3 bedrooom terraced victorian property, built 1900, looks small on the outside, good size inside though.

Had new doors and windows 6k

Kitchen 16k (extended to 25ftx10ft so had to have supporting walls knocked through, french doors put in etc etc)

Bathroom 3k

Whole house reskimmed and decorated professionally 5k

New boiler 1.5k

Electrics 1.5k and did'nt need a re-wire but needed lots of things doing as the whole house was bodged on the electrics.

Flooring/carpets thorughout 3k

General plumbing work, new rads here and there trvs throughout etc etc 1k

Blinds throughout 1.2k

General building works stud walls removed, gallows brackets fitted etc 2k

This is in the midlands so just over 40k.

Left do :

the front garden path relaid, chippings thrown down the sides of path
    Rear patio decked over, side alley slabs cleaned and relaid.
    original Minton tiles in hallway refurbed

Quotes for these 3 remaining jobs are 2.5-3k

So 44k to do everything really in the midlands.
  • Skibunny40
    Skibunny40 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure how accurate it is, but I've been looking at this website to give me some ballpark figures to work with.
    https://www.stylewithin.co.uk/2018/01/16/house-renovation-cost-calculator
  • Hi Tass @tassy88, could you please share the final cost that you ended up spending on this. We are in a very similar situation with a 1930s 3 bed house in North London and could do with your experience.

thanks
  • Hi Tass @tassy88, could you please share the final cost that you ended up spending on this. We are in a very similar situation with a 1930s 3 bed house in North London and could do with your experience.

thanks
    Ditto!
    I think I'm being ripped off.
    Have been quoted c. £70,000 (without the extension!). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback