Edinburgh - argument with neighbour

Enibas75
Enibas75 Posts: 13 Forumite
Hi,

I need to fix an issue outside on my top floor flat however my downstairs neighbour installed a cat ladder which makes the access difficult. One plumber couldn’t access the area because he can’t put his ladder there due to the cat ladder. Another one more expensive can do it as he has special equipment.
I gave her the choice to take the cat ladder down or pay the cost difference. She ignores me and tell me that’s it is up to me to pay everything, that I need to get the more expensive plumber and that she won’t remove the ladder.
In case I need further access for others repairs I don’t want to pay extra everytime. We are 6 owners in this building.
Is she allowed to put something up without the consent of everybody? How can I ask her to either pay for the difference or remove the ladder?

Thanks,

Comments

• davidscot
    davidscot Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is something called the 'Tenement management scheme' in Scotland whereby all owners/landlords are liable for repair costs in the block. Each member gets one vote and the majority carries. Maybe worthwhile mentioning this to your neighbour and the other residents in the block
  • Enibas75
    Enibas75 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Thnaks.

I wasn’t aware of it and it is already erected. So now it is different as it would be a vote to take it down which some people might not bother with as it is there already.
    Is there no law to help with to get somebody to remove something that was done without agreement?
  • davidscot
    davidscot Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am not sure where you stand regards something that is already in place. Be worth checking title deeds about that.
    What about local council environmental health?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure