Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Any comments on the cottage cheese in either? I bought some the other day from Morrison's, and can't remember it ever being as mild. Many have a bit of a tang to them that they could do without.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Has anyone used the Aldi Ocean Rise tinned pink salmon?
    My mother enjoys John West pink salmon but the price is continuing to rise to the point where she begrudges buying it
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Any comments on the cottage cheese in either? I bought some the other day from Morrison's, and can't remember it ever being as mild. Many have a bit of a tang to them that they could do without.

I tried the Lidl, when it was 30% off, and wis I hadn’t! Very tangy, which I don’t like. Mind you, my favourite is Longley Farm, which isn’t tangy at all.
  • VfM4meplse
    thedogsmum wrote: »
    I tried the Lidl, when it was 30% off, and wis I hadn’t! Very tangy, which I don’t like. Mind you, my favourite is Longley Farm, which isn’t tangy at all.
    That's exactly what prompted my post (the pineapple version)!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    That's exactly what prompted my post (the pineapple version)!

I fully expected there to be some sweetness in the pineapple one, but was more than somewhat disappointed....
  • VfM4meplse
    thedogsmum wrote: »
    I fully expected there to be some sweetness in the pineapple one, but was more than somewhat disappointed....
    That's what I liked about it: it didn't feel like I was eating a dessert, nor a pickle :)

• Cornucopia wrote: »
    I don't want to put you off, but according to the packs, there's not a huge difference between the two varieties: Nutty is 8.9g of Sugar, and Berries is 9.7g (both per 45g portion, which is quite a meagre serving from my POV).

Some of the extra sugar (or maybe all of it) in the pink packet will be from the dried fruit, so it isn't necessarily less healthy
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Some new products at Aldi, today...

- Tuna Chunks in Spring Water (3 x 80g) £1.39

- Vegan Sausages (chilled). Two varieties, 6 sausages. £1.49

- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. £1.99

I can confirm the "SoYummy" Soya Yogurt mentioned above. 3 varieties (Plain, Vanilla and Blueberry). 95p for 500ml.
  • VfM4meplse
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I don't want to put you off, but according to the packs, there's not a huge difference between the two varieties: Nutty is 8.9g of Sugar, and Berries is 9.7g (both per 45g portion, which is quite a meagre serving from my POV).
    I think I was looking at the ingredient list on the revese, and by quick calculation at the checkout deduced that the sugar content could only be 16% max. The ingredient list on the reverse of the pink packet looked scarier - can't find an image online to verify this though!

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I think I was looking at the ingredient list on the revese, and by quick calculation at the checkout deduced that the sugar content could only be 16% max. The ingredient list on the reverse of the pink packet looked scarier - can't find an image online to verify this though!

Sugar is the 2nd ingredient in the berry Granola , and lower down in the Nutty , but only because there are a lot more nuts ( and less Oats ) in the Nutty and less Berries ( and more Oats ) in the Berry .
    Sugar content is very similar - Berry 21.5% , Nutty 19.7% and calorie count is 447 per 100g in Berry and 468 per 100g in Nutty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure