£150 switch incentive from NatWest (2019)

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    BigTezza wrote: »
    I feel a bit 'taken in' by the apparent offer of £150 to existing customers - I've been with NW since I were a lad. I feel that it's a little ambiguous on their website which states the following.

This offer is available to new and existing customers. To qualify for the £150 offer you must:

Apply for an eligible account between the 7th of Jan and 15th of Feb 2019.
    Complete your switch to us using the Current Account Switching Service by the 22nd of March.
    Deposit £1,500 into your NatWest account and log in to online or Mobile banking by the 22nd of March.

I just called them and was told that they could convert my existing account to a Reward account in minutes (they've been banging on at me for ages to do this) but I wouldn't be eligible for the £150 because I wouldn't be going through the switching process. I would need to close an account with another bank in order to get that. I asked about creating a new account for me with NW and 'switching' to that but that won't cut it either.

I feel that the wording of their offer is a little misleading and needs to be changed. Fifteen minutes of my life waiting in a phone queue that I'll never get back :(
    It's a switching offer, intended to reward those moving some business to NatWest from elsewhere, so it's not a surprise that merely redesignating your existing account (or opening another with NatWest themselves) doesn't qualify. If you were prepared to open another account with NatWest, why not simply do so with another bank and switch that to NatWest for a nice easy £150?

While the precis of the offer on their website is inevitably abbreviated, the full wording (still only a page of A4) explains the requirements for existing customers and was linked at post #4 above, so you could have avoided your phone queue if you'd wanted to!
  • SSW83
    SSW83 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm also interested in this switching incentive, and have a now unneeded FD account which I can use to switch - The FD has no active DD or SO to switch over, but I cannot see any mention of such a requirement in the T&Cs for the switcher offer.

My question is about the £1500 deposit. The T&Cs are rather vague. Does anybody have an inkling as to whether this needs to be a single deposit, or can it be several smaller deposits? If the money can be removed from the account (it is a current account, after all) does that mean I could deposit and remove the same £500 lump three times and qualify for the incentive?
  • moneysavinggirl40
    moneysavinggirl40 Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2019 at 12:14PM
    Not had a switching bonus in such a long time. Looks like I could be eligible seeing that my switch out of Nat west was in 2016 I have not had an RBS account ever. I can deposit £1500 in chunks of smaller amounts, b4 22.3.19, I'm hoping this will be sufficient.

In fact i was getting switching withdrawal symptoms as i haven't had a bonus for an age. I am hoping other banks catch on, and invite customers to switch to them even though they have switched b4 and got a bonus way, way in the past.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone else getting the 'error' message when trying to sign up to the digi documents page they link you to when signing up for the account?
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am a current account holder and my wages get payed into this account so would that exclude me?

FAQ

If you have an eligible NatWest current account already and it's not your main bank account, then you can still qualify for the £150 offer. Simply complete the switching form at the bottom of this page and we'll do the rest. Please ensure you meet all of the eligibility criteria so we can credit your account with the £150.

Anyone know??
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2019 at 11:05PM
    leew wrote: »
    I am a current account holder and my wages get payed into this account so would that exclude me?

FAQ

If you have an eligible NatWest current account already and it's not your main bank account, then you can still qualify for the £150 offer. Simply complete the switching form at the bottom of this page and we'll do the rest. Please ensure you meet all of the eligibility criteria so we can credit your account with the £150.

Anyone know??
    I have 31 main current accounts. I'll continue to have 31 main current accounts until banks start defining that a current account can only be a main current account if your salary is paid into it.

In short, you're not excluded, so long as you're not ineligible according to the offer T&Cs
  • leew
    I have 31 main current accounts. I'll continue to have 31 main current accounts until banks start defining that a current account can only be a main current account if your salary is paid into it.

In short, you're not excluded, so long as you're not ineligible according to the offer T&D's.

Good way of looking at it! I'll have to have a proper look at the t&c's, I also pay all my DD's from this account so maybe they will say it's my main account.

Nothing to lose trying although I didn't get a confirmation email/anything when I filled out the application form - just a close this page at the end :huh:
  • norm_
    norm_ Posts: 187 Forumite
    Anybody else having issues activating their account?

I've passed the online ID verification, or so I thought, a couple days back and heard nothing since. The mobile app doesn't allow access and I've heard nothing regarding the switch of my other account.

Not exactly awe inspiring service from a bank that are trying to win over new customers.

I think there's the reason why I will keep First Direct as my main account and only used a donor account for this offer.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

In short, you're not excluded, so long as you're not ineligible according to the offer T&Cs

That's a lot of usernames and passwords to remember :)
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • leew
    norm_ wrote: »
    Anybody else having issues activating their account?

I've passed the online ID verification, or so I thought, a couple days back and heard nothing since. The mobile app doesn't allow access and I've heard nothing regarding the switch of my other account.

Not exactly awe inspiring service from a bank that are trying to win over new customers.

I think there's the reason why I will keep First Direct as my main account and only used a donor account for this offer.

Yeah it's a bit shabby to say the least!

I didn't get a confirmation email/anything when I filled out the application form - just a close this page at the end which I was left like :huh:

What is the I.D verification about? I don't remember seeing that but maybe that's because I already bank with them perhaps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure