How to claim back PPI with no knowledge of dates of loans?

Options
Hi all.

I would like to look into claiming for PPI however where do I start if I can't remember the dates of my loans?

I have had loans on and off (for example I have taken out a loan, paid it off, taken out a loan paid it off) since 2008 with the same bank HSBC (must be four of five times now) but I really can't remember the dates at all!

It goes that far back that I can't really look on my online banking account.

I've moved house so many times as well in the last few years I can't remember where I was at the time of applying for the loan so I couldn't even provide an accurate "home address at the time of loan application" summary!

I know this is absolutely useless :D but is there still a way I can do this? Could I go into my bank and ask them for the history and details of my loans with them that I've had in the last? They are all with HSBC.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You dont need to remember the dates.
    I have had loans on and off (for example I have taken out a loan, paid it off, taken out a loan paid it off) since 2008 with the same bank HSBC (must be four of five times now) but I really can't remember the dates at all!

HSBC stop selling PPI in 2008.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • FaithFay1992
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! The first one I took out was late 2007 so may be able to make at least one claim.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ! The first one I took out was late 2007 so may be able to make at least one claim.
    Expect the audit trail to be more thorough (or deleted entirely) on PPI sold so late on...
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    Options
    I also have no idea whether I've paid any PPI or not and have had loans and a mortgage (fully paid off now) since 1978. I've had perhaps 7-10 loans apart from the mortgage in the past 40 years. I don't ever remember agreeing to any PPI. Would I be asked if I wanted it or would I have been wrongly told that I had to have it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Either is possible.

Concentrate on any policies you may have bought in the last 10 years or so, where there may still be some records remaining.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also have no idea whether I've paid any PPI or not and have had loans and a mortgage (fully paid off now) since 1978. I've had perhaps 7-10 loans apart from the mortgage in the past 40 years. I don't ever remember agreeing to any PPI. Would I be asked if I wanted it or would I have been wrongly told that I had to have it?

PPI was largely late 80s onwards

Sales processes vary, no-one can tell you what you would have been told, though anecdotally of course we know sales staff would indicate your loan would have a better chance of going through or that it was required. No-one can prove that of course
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks. I think it will be unlikely that I'd get anything back, I've not had any loans since the 90's and my mortgage finished in the early 00's and I think that if I was asked at the time if I wanted PPI I would have declined.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure