737 Max 8 grounding issue - who is at fault here?

Options
Hi there,

So last month I was in brazil when the 737 Max 8s were being grounded internationally.
My flights home were salvador to fortaleza, to amsterdam, to london.
Provided through KLM, but outsourced to a different company, GOL, for the domestic brazilian flight to fortaleza. Whom messaged me with check in details and I was unable to check in. It was this time i noticed the flight was supposed to be a 737-800. I was unable to find a clear article detailing these two were different planes and honestly had no clue.

My girlfriend back home contacted KLM, and was advised I wasnt able to check in because the first flight was grounded, although the flight from fortaleza to amsterdam, and amsterdam to london were fine, but i was in salvador.

I ended up buying another flight on this advice as expected it to be grounded as per the advice from klm, and not wanting to be sent around the world to get me home or sit in an airport for god knows how long.

Turned out the original flight was fine and I boared as initially planned, not using the recently purchased flight.

I have tried to complain to KLM as it was under their advice i believed the flight to be grounded, they told me my issue is with GOL, and there is nowhere to complain to them on their website.
I have travel insurance but they wont tell me if it they can even consider it until i submit it formally which i printed the forms out on the other day.

Do i stand any chance here? I think the blame rests on KLM because of their advice they gave it was them who also sent me the check in information despite it not being their flight etc?
I'm not optimistic about the travel insurance coming back with anything real either.

Not quite sure what to do from here, is there anyone who can help a little?

Many thanks,
Dan

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    damnckenna wrote: »
    GOL, for the domestic brazilian flight to fortaleza. Whom messaged me with check in details and I was unable to check in.
    Do you mean they invited you to check in online, but it didn't work?

Does GOL have a requirement to check-in online and not at the airport?

Did GOL at any time inform you that their flight was cancelled?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • SharkPond
    SharkPond Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes thats what I mean, KLM invited me to check in at GOL but it did not work.

I dont think so as i was eventually able to check in in person, and there was invite sent ofc despite it not working

GOL have no way to contact them from the UK or english speaking reps as far as i can see
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.voegol.com.br/en

USA / Canada
    Sales 1 855 862 9190
    Other countries
    Sales / Customer Service Center +55 11 5504 4410

We don't know the details of how your girlfriend presented the situation to a KLM rep, perhaps she said that a Max 8 was involved and the rep made a quick assumption..?

If you had not been contacted and told that the flight was cancelled, either directly by GOL or through KLM, it would be reasonable to assume that it was still scheduled.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the flight was never cancelled I'm not sure what you can reasonably expect to get. I doubt KLM adviced you to purchase a new ticket (?). If the flight had ended up cancelled, KLM would have rebooked you on another flight.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Your actions were not intelligent;
    https://www.voegol.com.br/en/gol/our-fleet

GOL currently has 91 737-800 aircraft, 24 737-700 aircraft, and now 7 737 MAX 8 aircraft.

They have 115 other aircraft at their disposal.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I wonder if it was your girlfriend who got the message wrong.

how much extra was the new flight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport