Being a mature student, a very skint one..

Comments

• JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well I got a phone call yesterday offering me a post at a supermarket near my boyfriends. It's only 10 hours a week but will fit in well with uni and plenty of extra hours for the holidays.

Still on placement for uni got a week and 2 days to go, ready for a break I'm exhausted!

Welly x
    :wave:
  • Congratulations on the job! Hopefully you'll find it low stress compared to your placement. How's the studying going?
  • JLS1901
    Congratulations on the job! Hopefully you'll find it low stress compared to your placement. How's the studying going?

Thanks Glenda, hopefully it will be a nice easy low stress job I can do plenty of hours in over summer to get sorted again.. uni is going ok.. got about 4 days left after placement and 2 of those are assessments then that's it first year done :)
  • JLS1901
    Debt totals as of today:
    Tesco CC: £4285.87 (£50 pm 0% until Dec 2020)
    FD Loan:£5271.00 (£70.28 pm)
    Car finance: £5897 (£140.41 41 payments left to go)

Total: £15,453.87

Hoping I can get the credit card paid off by September and then start saving to pay off the loan early. I just want rid of it all so I can use the money I pay every month for better things!

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    I refered myself for counselling at uni a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet.. Sat here panicking about an exam I have to resit and a presentation I have to do in May.

I'm also worrying about money I won't get paid in my new job till the end of April so things will be tight till then.

I also need to desperately lose weight, I'm the heaviest I've ever been, hopefully I'll be more successful at that when I've moved and have the space to cook properly.

I feel like my anxiety affects so much of my life and holds me back, I'm just not sure how to fix it!

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    So got an update from the counselling service at uni, they are overwhelmed at the moment so not sure when I will get an appointment..

Had my induction at my job on Monday lots to learn but it was good, there was me and two older people a lady and a man.

Got my first shift on Saturday then one on Monday. Bit annoyed as I explained at interview I'm at uni and wanted a job to fit around that. They have put me down for a Monday day shift which is fine over the holidays but will have to change by September.

Set myself the goal of paying off my Tesco CC by the time I go back to uni at the end of September.

Just having a quiet few days, had my induction Monday then been with the OH the last 2 days lambing sheep and sorting out. All go, least the weather is good for it!

Welly x
  • Hi Welly,

Just wanted to say how amazed and impressed I am that you're working so so hard to pay off this debt alongside your studies! I've worked in a university before and know how insanely demanding these vocational courses can be - you're obviously really passionate about becoming an OT and it will be an incredibly rewarding role when you get there :) I'm so glad to hear you're loving your degree!

From my experiences of working at/being a student at unis, the chaplaincy service are a pretty good option when counselling services are full. They're really lovely people and are always happy to listen - you don't have to belong to a particular, or any, faith. You well-being team might be able to point to other services which you could draw on too. As a healthcare student you should have a range of pastoral support - do you have student support coordinators? At my old job they had a team in each healthcare department who were totally neutral (not tutors or mentors or involved in the academic side of things at all) to support students with any difficulties they were having.

It's also worth mentioning, and apologies if you're aware of this, but there are plenty of ways for students to earn money at their uni that fit around their timetable. Have you looked into the Student Ambassador scheme too? They can usually offer zero hours contract with ad-hoc work from one-off admin in the office shifts to daily campus tours - might be worth looking into. The pay at my old uni was nearly £12 per hour for some roles. Sometimes academic departments are able to pay students to promote the courses at open days or in schools too.

The lambing sounds like an absolutely amazing experience and a great break from reality where you can switch off and be at one with nature! Bliss! I know one of the OT placements where I used to work was on a working farm and all the students used to fight over getting that one ;)

Sorry I've waffled a bit - I mostly meant to say best of luck and I will be subscribing and cheering you on :T
    £1860 /£2500 CC
    [STRIKE]£209/ 600 Car repair loan[/STRIKE] gone!
    [STRIKE]£160/ 1600 Bank loan[/STRIKE] also gone!
    [STRIKE]137.50 / 3300 Student finance[/STRIKE] (effectively) gone! (Although I will come back to it)
    £640 to go out of £8000
    April NSDs: 9/16 :embarasse
  • JLS1901
    Hi Welly,

Just wanted to say how amazed and impressed I am that you're working so so hard to pay off this debt alongside your studies! I've worked in a university before and know how insanely demanding these vocational courses can be - you're obviously really passionate about becoming an OT and it will be an incredibly rewarding role when you get there :) I'm so glad to hear you're loving your degree!

From my experiences of working at/being a student at unis, the chaplaincy service are a pretty good option when counselling services are full. They're really lovely people and are always happy to listen - you don't have to belong to a particular, or any, faith. You well-being team might be able to point to other services which you could draw on too. As a healthcare student you should have a range of pastoral support - do you have student support coordinators? At my old job they had a team in each healthcare department who were totally neutral (not tutors or mentors or involved in the academic side of things at all) to support students with any difficulties they were having.

It's also worth mentioning, and apologies if you're aware of this, but there are plenty of ways for students to earn money at their uni that fit around their timetable. Have you looked into the Student Ambassador scheme too? They can usually offer zero hours contract with ad-hoc work from one-off admin in the office shifts to daily campus tours - might be worth looking into. The pay at my old uni was nearly £12 per hour for some roles. Sometimes academic departments are able to pay students to promote the courses at open days or in schools too.

The lambing sounds like an absolutely amazing experience and a great break from reality where you can switch off and be at one with nature! Bliss! I know one of the OT placements where I used to work was on a working farm and all the students used to fight over getting that one ;)

Sorry I've waffled a bit - I mostly meant to say best of luck and I will be subscribing and cheering you on :T

Hello Paws,
    Thanks for stopping by :) Thank you, I'm not going to lie it's testing me to my limit but I'm an awkward stubborn Yorkshire lass and I won't be beaten! I think it's testing me more mentally than anything.. my self doubt and lack of confidence is taking over my life.

However my placement grade is 72% my highest grade yet and my comments from my mentor were exceptional so that has given me a nice boost!!

I've got an appointment with the counselor on 25th of April they have emailed me back today so least that's moving forwards.
    We have student support but to be honest they are just as busy as everyone else, I'm lucky I have some fantastic friends who I know I can rant too if I need to!

We do have student ambassador roles I didn't apply last time but I'm going to apply when they are advertised again, I talked myself out of it!

I would like to think of it as a break but unfortunately I'm an experienced shepherd in my own right so we tend to end up doing loads and loads.. I joked last week I should have told him when I met him I didn't know one end of a sheep from another :rotfl: alas it's nice to do something I enjoy and I know I'm helping him so it's all good...

Just having a day listing clothes to sell and doing washing and doing some revision.. I should start sorting out things to move it will be here before long!!

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    So I did my first shift yesterday it was very busy and I actually quite enjoyed it. Already been asked about extra shifts but I refuse to commit to any until I've got my last few uni assessments out the way.

Having a day of revision although I could go for a nap I'm exhausted.

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Had a great weekend went up to Scotland on Friday to see my best friend from agricultural college, had a blast! I so needed the time away..

Nothing much to report on the money front, done another shift in the job I'm not gonna lie its not great. Keep getting left on my own have had no proper training on things so feel very out my depth. Kind of get the feeling speaking to others your just expected to get on with it.. that would be fine but I've only done 2 shifts! Hopefully it will come in time. I also have an interview on the 30th for a bank porter job at a hospital not too far away I'm thinking I might be able to do this alongside the supermarket job just as an when.

Can't wait till the end of the month to get paid and get my student loan!

Welly x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport