MPRN and back billing

Options
Hello,

To cut a long story short it transpired my address had 2 MPRN attached to it. I had been paying on 1 and eon had the other. They came out and did a burn test on my meter. Can anyone explain how that proves which MPRN is correct as this is the only condition The ombudsmen asked to be done to prove which MPRN is supplying my home? I thought it just proved which meter was attached to my house? the MPRN eon are trying to bill me for started in 2004. The MPRN I have been paying came into existence in 2015 which is about the time the large building was split into 3 houses which is what it is now.

Further because this issue wasn’t brought to my attention until September 2018 as I had been paying this other MPRN supply with suppliers of my choice will this come under the back billing rule of its their fault so they can only bill me for the last 12 months and not the 6 year limit?

I’m just really fed up of it all now I had an 18 month long battle with my electric when we first moved in and now we’ve been here 3 years and this came just came up?

Thanks in advance any help is gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Each MPRN will be associated with one serial number on a meter somewhere.

If you turn everything off, then turn on a high-load appliance (such as a kettle full of water), then you would expect to see one meter spinning around or the red light flashing, while the other does nothing.

That tells you which meter is connected to your property. It's then a case of looking up in the central database which MPRN goes with that meter.

The back billing rules apply to errors by the supplier which mean they fail to bill you. This sounds more complicated than that. the ombudsman should sort out an arrangement.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joshuac91 wrote: »
    Hello,

To cut a long story short it transpired my address had 2 MPRN attached to it. I had been paying on 1 and eon had the other. They came out and did a burn test on my meter. Can anyone explain how that proves which MPRN is correct as this is the only condition The ombudsmen asked to be done to prove which MPRN is supplying my home? I thought it just proved which meter was attached to my house? the MPRN eon are trying to bill me for started in 2004. The MPRN I have been paying came into existence in 2015 which is about the time the large building was split into 3 houses which is what it is now.

Further because this issue wasn’t brought to my attention until September 2018 as I had been paying this other MPRN supply with suppliers of my choice will this come under the back billing rule of its their fault so they can only bill me for the last 12 months and not the 6 year limit?

I’m just really fed up of it all now I had an 18 month long battle with my electric when we first moved in and now we’ve been here 3 years and this came just came up?

Hello Joshuac91 and welcome to the Forums.

It sounds like the gas meters might not have been registered correctly when the building was split into three houses. The burns test will be to see which meter is supplying your house. I suspect we'll be trying to do similar tests at the other houses.

If I'm right, this will be being looked after by our Crossed Meter team. Crossed meters are where meter details are mixed up with other properties. They sometimes happen after the sort of redevelopment you mention.

When was the building redeveloped? I'm guessing here; the MPRN for 2004 could be linked to the original meter whilst the one for 2015 was created following the split into three houses. Check the serial number of the meter at your house. Is it the same as the one we've been billing to?

I'd also talk to our Crossed Meter team. Let them have the serial number from the meter itself, its location, the full Royal Mail postal address and whatever details about the conversion you have. Once they've determined which meters are supplying which house, they'll rebill as necessary.

The Billing Code applies where we've failed to bill correctly. Where we're at fault for a customer not receiving an accurate bill, we can't charge for any unbilled energy used more than 12 months from the point the problem was fixed. Once Crossed Meters have sorted things from their end and rebilled, the account can be passed to our Billing Code team to see what charges are valid.

Sorry if my speculation is off track Joshuac91.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Each MPRN will be associated with one serial number on a meter somewhere.

If you turn everything off, then turn on a high-load appliance (such as a kettle full of water), then you would expect to see one meter spinning around or the red light flashing, while the other does nothing.

That tells you which meter is connected to your property. It's then a case of looking up in the central database which MPRN goes with that meter.

The back billing rules apply to errors by the supplier which mean they fail to bill you. This sounds more complicated than that. the ombudsman should sort out an arrangement.

Isn't an MPRN for Gas, not electric?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Isn't an MPRN for Gas, not electric?

Yes that is right.

MPAN for electric.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Joshuac91 wrote: »
    Hello,

The MPRN is linked to your gas meter and supply address.
    The burn test will ensure which meter/MPRN is actually supplying your address.

If an error is found, this will need to be corrected by the supplier.
    i.e. usually the other meter/MPRN being allocated to another address

Even if an amendment is required, as you have only been responsible for this property from 2015, you cannot be expected to pay for any usage before this time.

If you have been paying for a meter/MPRN that doesn't actually supply your address, then this will be refunded and put towards what you actually owe. You might even be due a refund :money:
  • Joshuac91
    Options
    Thank you everyone it’s been a headache now for over 6 months now. The ombudsmen have reached their verdict. My issue now is the because eon weren’t the cheapest supplier my bill has now increased and they’re billing me to their standard tariffs and even with the refunds it’s not going to cover that which is going to put me out of pocket through no fault of my own ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure