Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 113Posts
    • 480Thanks
    Smurphington
    Can you get fit without a gym
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    Can you get fit without a gym 5th Aug 18 at 7:39 AM
    I'm a single mum who works 4 days a week so going to the gym is just not a possibility at the moment. I used to enjoy fitness classes and did a lot of them but nowdays walking (which i do a lot of whilst pushimg a 3yr old aroynd) is about the most i do. I was wondering if I could get a bit fitter/build a bit of muscle doing exercise dvds/ you tube videos and if anyone has any recommendations?
Page 3
    • Calum Cahil
    • By Calum Cahil 21st Mar 19, 6:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Calum Cahil
    I try to use my bike as much as possible to get fit, but it depends on distances you have to cover every day
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 21st Mar 19, 6:05 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    The only exercise I do (& enjoy) is walking. My passion is long distance walking, & thru-hiking. I toned up & lost over a stone in weight by "rucking" - basically carry weights in a rucksack & walk. The army do it.

You need a good backpack with hip belts & some dumb bells to slowly build the weight up, but it works. If you're not bothered about measuring the weight, then water bottles will do the job, too.
    I walk 5 miles a day to work & back with about 7-8kg in my pack, training for this summer's hikes.
    It tones & builds strength in all your leg muscles, knees, ankles, back, shoulders & core & burns off a lot more calories than just walking alone.
    Save £12k in 2019. #25 £0/£2000

January Grocery Challenge £14.11/£50.00
    • sept
    • By sept 22nd Mar 19, 10:31 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sept
    To improve fitness I'd do a HIIT (high intensity interval training) programme (it isn't as scary as it sounds) it only takes 20-30 mins & it's an effective and quick workout with maximum results - but you really have to make sure you push yourself and get that heart rate pumping. Do it 3 times a week and you'll soon see your fitness improve. There are plenty of videos on youtube (TheBodyCoach, Fitnessblender) I used to teach this class every week for about 5 years You don't necessarily need any equipment, though it's good if you can progress onto doing some of the exercises with weights to increase the difficulty.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 3rd Apr 19, 11:17 AM
    • 12,868 Posts
    • 28,896 Thanks
    andygb
    You could try something like this in conjunction with dynamic exercises - squats, lunges etc. then various light weight routines.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6078641

Even doing a dynamic warmup prior to main cardio work (which everyone should do to warm up) is exercise and will get the heart beating faster.

https://greatist.com/fitness/full-body-dynamic-warm-up

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_stretching-tips-athletes-dynamic-static.asp

If you are not sure about running, then try a combination of running and fast walking for half an hour.
    The great thing about walking/running is that it is "weight bearing exercise" so will help to guard against early onset osteoporosis, and help improve your cardio vascular system.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 3rd Apr 19, 2:36 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    halogen
    At the moment I can't walk very far without pain... maybe the distance across a small supermarket carpark. Being on my feet standing is worse- normally can take 5 mins of that. I am aware that I may have an underlying health issue -GP and Physio don't agree on that though- but getting fitter would help it.

I did approach my local gym about their 'back to fitness' programme but they wanted £99/month which is out of my league. Also I tried a trial session there and I was in tears by 1/2 way through.

Swimming is also not possible due to accessibility issues at the local pool.

The physios have discharged me to the local NHS get fit service but their opening hours are not compatible with my working hours.

So given that walking/standing/swimming are not options presently, what can I be doing to increase my metabolic rate even a little to get healthier? I do also need to lose 2/3 of my body weight but I'm not thinking that's going to happen by excercise
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 3rd Apr 19, 3:19 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 4,267 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Can you sit on an exercise bike?

I've got back/knee/age/stiffness issues and now can't do the impact classes at my local gym that I used to love. But I can still do Spin/RPM which are cycle classes. You have the choice to stand up in the pedals on some tracks but there is no requirement to. Indeed one guy with a back problem sits all the way through.

Quite good calorie burner too. If the local gym is too expensive (are there no others or is it possible to pay for individual classes?) you could maybe buy a bike for home and ride along to a video
    Last edited by NeilCr; 03-04-2019 at 3:43 PM.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 3rd Apr 19, 8:16 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Smb3088
    Iím a fitness instructor, Pilates yoga teacher amongst another billion qualified disciplines... YES is your answer.. easy.. in fact I was on holiday for one month and never used a gym, ran everyday and did my own core training... never been fitter
    • halogen
    • By halogen 5th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    halogen
    Can you sit on an exercise bike?
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Sit on one? yes. Pedal one? no. Too painful on the right knee. I can do things with the stretchy elastics that the physio gave me but that's more about strength than aerobics.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 5th Apr 19, 2:15 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 4,267 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Sit on one? yes. Pedal one? no. Too painful on the right knee. I can do things with the stretchy elastics that the physio gave me but that's more about strength than aerobics.
    Originally posted by halogen
    Aah okay. I sympathise.

Have any of your local gyms got anything like this?

http://ramsgateleisurecentre.co.uk/feelgood-factory/

Ours is very popular and people have increased their fitness quickly. I have a feeling I may end up in here!

Alternatively the gym offers chair based fitness classes. These, I think, are also available in local halls. ETA. Aqua is a possibility too.

http://ramsgateleisurecentre.co.uk/livebetter/
    Last edited by NeilCr; 05-04-2019 at 2:18 PM.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 8th Apr 19, 7:14 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    halogen
    Thanks for your suggestions,

Those would be wonderful....but small town....
    I believe there is a chair yoga classs somewhere in town but its 11am on a Tuesday and therefore when I'm at work.

Aqua is also at work incompatible hours, besides I have accessability issues with the pool changing rooms.
    I'll maybe try and get a referral back to the physio for some exercises to do at home.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Apr 19, 12:43 PM
    • 23,727 Posts
    • 12,195 Thanks
    lisyloo
    So given that walking/standing/swimming are not options presently, what can I be doing to increase my metabolic rate even a little to get healthier? I do also need to lose 2/3 of my body weight but I'm not thinking that's going to happen by excercise
    I think you are right.
    Exercise is very good for health but for most people itís not going to make a massive difference to weight loss.

You need to concentrate of the food side of things for that.
    Easy to say ďeat lessĒ but I am trying a behavioural approach to eating less such as taking take-away containers when I eat out, I can then stop when I choose without the food being ďwastedĒ or having it sat right in front of me.
    Have you tried cutting down portion sizes gradually?
    • halogen
    • By halogen 8th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    halogen
    Have you tried cutting down portion sizes gradually?
    Originally posted by lisyloo

Yeah.. I've tried to not eat the whole packet of something in one sitting...
    Either it gets forgotten about in the back of the fridge and goes to waste - which is good for weight but bad for pocket- or more often it haunts me all evening and I wake up at midnight and find myself eating it anyway.

I have started trying to buy small portion sizes but they are usually more expensive and often not an option.
    • youngmoneymaster
    • By youngmoneymaster 12th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    youngmoneymaster
    If you want to be fit without a gym, you need to diet and count your calories. It can be hard, but it works good.
    • colejames
    • By colejames 15th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    colejames
    Yes!
    Planks, push ups,squats,jumping jacks and step-ups are all great way to get moving the exercise.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 16th Apr 19, 12:24 AM
    • 12,590 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    jenniewb
    If you want to be fit without a gym, you need to diet and count your calories. It can be hard, but it works good.
    Originally posted by youngmoneymaster
    Fitness isn't always about weight loss, you can be unfit and slim just as you can be at a higher weight and very fit.
    • Kevin5566
    • By Kevin5566 18th Apr 19, 4:37 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kevin5566
    I think, it is possible, but only in case you are ready to work alone and won't miss trainings. Personally I'm too lazy for this, I can train only in gym.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 19th Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    At the moment I can't walk very far without pain... maybe the distance across a small supermarket carpark. Being on my feet standing is worse- normally can take 5 mins of that. I am aware that I may have an underlying health issue -GP and Physio don't agree on that though- but getting fitter would help it.

I did approach my local gym about their 'back to fitness' programme but they wanted £99/month which is out of my league. Also I tried a trial session there and I was in tears by 1/2 way through.

Swimming is also not possible due to accessibility issues at the local pool.

The physios have discharged me to the local NHS get fit service but their opening hours are not compatible with my working hours.

Do you have a DVD player? Yoga and stretching videos might help. I donít know what your health issus are, but if it concerns muscles etc then Iíd tend to believe the physio. A GP is a generalist. A colleague has a very bad back. He recently had a sports massage, it hurt a lot, but he felt very good afterwards, it greatly improved his back. So he will do it each month now. I had very bad knees, could barely walk upstairs, ice skating strenghened the muscles and now my knees are fine. Iíve had a bad back, and now go to the gym with a PT. The stretches have pretty much cured my back. According to my PT, a lot of back issues are due to tension in muscles, ligaments and tendons, due to lack of exercise, or too much exercise of one type. When I had sciatica, I was taught a stretch which cured it in a few minutes.

With reference to another personís post, many people blame age for health issues. In reality most of us do little exercise, and our muscles, ligaments and tendons become tight, which causes so called age related health issues. Many age related issues such as bone and muscle loss, and memory loss, can be slowed or reversed by exercise. Not all, of course, it all depends on the issues.
    • El8482
    • By El8482 20th Apr 19, 2:23 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    El8482
    YES. I got back for my previous form having 3 kids after I delivered in 5 month just doing some you tube exercises.
    • davidgreams
    • By davidgreams 20th Apr 19, 12:25 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davidgreams
    I had depression as well and social anxiety I wasted 1 year of my life being at home eating nearly everyday pizza and playing videogames, one day I had enough first I was scared to go to the gym, so I went in the early morning where only elite lifters or old granny were there.

After some time I noticed no one would care what I do and my anxiety about the gym just disappeared, maybe you should try it first before saying no. I know anxiety is a real thing, but the only way to fight anxiety is to make a step forward. Trying to run away won't do anything. You have to challenge yourself every day to fight anxiety, and lifting in a good environment will help you a lot.

Trust me if you want to work out at home, ye go ahead do it, but it won't really help you with your problems sometimes makes it worse.

Maybe do some kind of running or a martial arts if you don't like to lift basicly. But try to socialize yourself. I thought after I'm fit and looking good again all my problems are gone. But trust me they are not. You may feel sometimes better but the anxiety just does not disappear from one day to another it's just a drug to cure it for some time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

810Posts Today

5,458Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin