Cheap Third Party Cycling Cover

I have taken early retirement and I am living off savings and investments. As a keen cyclist I worry about bumping into someone and them making an inflated claim off me either from personal injury or vehicle damage. I don't want cover for my bicycle as I can easily afford a new one. I don't mind paying up to £1000 excess. Is third party cover included on some home insurance? What is the cheapest third party cover?

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Check out Cycling UK's insurance offerings:
    You also get other benefits of membership, e.g. 10% off at Halfords.

And yes, many home insurance policies offer third party liability cover. Check yours.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think I have ever read third party cycling cover in a home insurance policy. Is it covered by the general term " your liability to the public"? I always took that to mean your liability but only in reference to the home.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    I've found Cycleplan to be consistently good value for the type of insurance you describe, which is the same as I have wanted over the last several years.

https://www.cycleplan.co.uk/options
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    British Cycling is about £30 for the basic policy which includes £10m liability insurance
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    I'm with British Cycling.

You should phone your home insurer and ask if you are covered for liability whilst cycling. Most of them do.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2019 at 11:52AM
    KeithP wrote: »
    Check out Cycling UK's insurance offerings:
    You also get other benefits of membership, e.g. 10% off at Halfords.

And yes, many home insurance policies offer third party liability cover. Check yours.

^^^ This.

You also can get discounts at Cotswold Outdoors and several other retailers (eg Evans).

You can also get legal assistance in the event that you want to claim against a car driver (or even pedestrian!) etc.

EDIT: or you may need to claim against another cyclist!
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    fred246 wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever read third party cycling cover in a home insurance policy. Is it covered by the general term " your liability to the public"? I always took that to mean your liability but only in reference to the home.
    "Home insurance" is a rather vague term which can refer to either buildings insurance,. contents insurance, or a combined policy which covers both buildings and contents.

Buildings insurance typically comes with occupier's liability insurance, which does indeed cover liabilities relating directly to the property (eg if you don't maintain your roof properly and a tile falls off and injures the postman).

Contents insurance typically comes with much broader personal liability cover which covers any liabilities arising out of your hobbies and everyday activities, with some defined exceptions. The most common exceptions are
    1 Liabilities related to the use of a.motor vehicle (for that you need car insurance)
    2 Liabilities relating to your work or business
    3 Contractual liabilities (no, you can't claim for your gas bill on your home insurance) and
    4.Liabilities relating to dangerous dogs

Cycling accidents don't fall under any of those exceptions, so if you have contents insurance, or buildings and contents insurance, you are most likely already covered for cycling accidents on a third party basis - no need for a separate policy. Check the terms of your policy to be certain.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ebikes are not covered. On several insurance policies I've had they are referred to as 'bicycles with mechanical assistance' and are excluded.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Grandad99
    Grandad99 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ebikes are not covered.

They are covered by some insurers. The Personal Liability section of my Home Contents policy excludes motor vehicles but then says that
    the definition of motor vehicles does not include mechanically propelled vehicles that do not have to be licensed or pay road tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure