Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 15th Apr 19, 4:24 PM
    • 1,480Posts
    • 987Thanks
    m0bov
    selling property in philippines need advice
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:24 PM
    selling property in philippines need advice 15th Apr 19 at 4:24 PM
    Afternoon all, my wife has a share in the family home back in the Philippines. Most of it is in my wifes name, but a share of it goes to her mother and my wife's sister once its sold.

My wife is married to me and we live in the UK, but the rest of my wife's family are US citizens.

I'm trying to research the most cos effective way to get the money into GBP into a UK account.

When the sale completes, the money will go into my sister in laws account based in the Philippines in Dollars.

Any ideas on getting it converted to GBP and repatriated back to the UK? Would we pay tax on it if we had a money transfer done? Could the money be paid into a Revolute type account for better exchange rate? Or should be bring it back as cash in USD?!

Thanks for any info.
Page 1
    • tryin
    • By tryin 15th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tryin
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:56 PM
    My wife is married to me.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    Is she really?!
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 15th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    Your options appear to be limited, as most of the money transfer services can't receive money from the Philippines.

Best option might be to open a USD account (e.g. with Revolut, Transferwise Borderless or Fineco Bank) and send a direct bank transfer from the Philippines. You can then convert using that account or use another transfer service.

You won't get good rates exchanging cash.

You'll need professional advice on any tax implications.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 15th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:39 PM
    Is she really?!
    Originally posted by tryin
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 15th Apr 19, 11:15 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:15 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:15 PM
    Afternoon all, my wife has a share in the family home back in the Philippines. Most of it is in my wifes name, but a share of it goes to her mother and my wife's sister once its sold.

My wife is married to me and we live in the UK, but the rest of my wife's family are US citizens.

I'm trying to research the most cos effective way to get the money into GBP into a UK account.

When the sale completes, the money will go into my sister in laws account based in the Philippines in Dollars.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    If the money is coming from the US it would be worthwhile investigating whether it's possible for your wife to receive her share directly from there.

Sending money to the Philippines is very easy and cheap, however taking money out of the county can be difficult and expensive.

It appears taking or sending more than P50,000 (about 740) out of the country requires permission:

A person may import or export, or bring with him into or take out of the country, or electronically transfer, legal tender Philippine notes and coins, checks, money order and other bills of exchange drawn in pesos against banks operating in the Philippines in an amount not exceeding P50,000 without prior authorization from the BSP, Aquino said.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 16th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    Oh ok, yes that's why I guess wife assumed it would be withdrawn as USDs. Thanks for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin