Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 14th Apr 19, 7:22 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 7Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    Get default date changed
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:22 PM
    Get default date changed 14th Apr 19 at 7:22 PM
    Hi all,

I've just finished a DMP this month (24k paid in 3 years and 6 months exactly) which I'm thrilled to bits with.

Naturally I am looking to start to do whatever I can to improve my credit score so I can get on with my life ASAP and put it all behind me.

Anyhow without waffling on too much, 2 of my debts that were included in my DMP were with TSB. One was a current account overdraft and the other was a loan. Both were included in the DMP from day 1 and TSB accepted the DMP on both accounts.

The loan defaulted in July of 2016 (DMP started in November 2015) which is fine.

However TSB messed around for ages with the current account and kept applying fees etc for a while. Eventually defaulting the account in August of 2017. This is over a year after they defaulted the loan!

Obviously this is an extra year that a default will be sat on my credit profile and it's bugging me that the same creditor was "kind" enough to default me at a reasonable time on one account but on the other hand is delaying my ability to put it behind me with another!

Do you think it's reasonable I pursue them to change the default date of the current account to match the loan? Is this even something that can be done? Or am I just going to have to STFU and wait?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    Overdrafts are not subject to a CCA so I don’t think there’s any “legal” timeframe to apply a default compared to an account backed with a CCA.

Note that they are not obliged to add a default to any debts under a DMP as it’s essentially an arrangement to pay
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 14th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    Thanks Gary,

I know I don't have a leg to stand on from a legal standpoint - I should have made it clearer but I'm thinking more from an appealing to their better nature sort of standpoint?

I mean surely it makes no odds to them at this point? They have their money A LOT sooner than they would have gotten it had I not gone via DMP as well - however it means a heck of a lot to me
    • nickologjam
    • By nickologjam 15th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nickologjam
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:23 AM
    We have had some success with TSB in a similar situation. 'Resolver' service (see MSE link) was the best way of contacting them as they completely ignored physical letters but responded to this within a day!!

Look back at how they corresponded with you to inform you of the overdraft default, the application of additional fees and if they offered you an opportunity to repay the debt before applying a default to your credit file.

They may well have ignored their own policies on this in which case you may have some recourse.

.......its always worth a try. Good luck!!
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 15th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    Thanks!

I've just done exactly that so fingers crossed. I even decided to be double cheeky and asked about default removal altogether...Haha.

If you don't ask you don't get
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th Apr 19, 12:33 PM
    • 7,178 Posts
    • 4,524 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:33 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:33 PM
    Naturally I am looking to start to do whatever I can to improve my credit score so I can get on with my life ASAP and put it all behind me.
    Originally posted by A_DMP_Vetereran
    Do note that the score is utterly meaningless and has no impact on whether you will get credit or how lenders judge you - they never see your "score", only you do.

All that matters is your credit history which is simple enough to build, just takes time to look better to lenders.

Get a credit card, pay off in full every month by direct debit
    Get a cheap mobile phone contract, don't miss payments
    Ensure you are on the electoral role

Then just leave time to heal
    • steve900
    • By steve900 15th Apr 19, 12:41 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    steve900
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:41 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:41 PM
    I don't have much to add in the way of advice about the bank, but just to say well done for clearing the debts and good luck. It must feel good to be clear of that. We all make mistakes.
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 15th Apr 19, 2:11 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:11 PM
    Thanks Steve900 - appreciate that and yes it feels amazing! Massive weight lifted.

I had a decent job and was stupid with debt, all was OK until I lost my job and couldn't find anything with wages close to what I was previously earning to keep up the repayments. At that point it hit me like a tonne of bricks. Lesson completely and utterly learned

@Nasqueron - yeah sorry my bad wording again... I couldn't care less about the score don't get me wrong. I would just love to have a "clean" profile sooner rather than later. If it's not possible I will accept that but it's worth a try. If all my defaults could expire at the same sort of time then that would be my ideal. I've already got myself a capital one credit builder card, a loqbox account and a mobile contract. I kept hold of my phone contract and broadband contract throughout the DMP so they have all been reporting up to date throughout which is a good thing
    Last edited by A_DMP_Vetereran; 15-04-2019 at 2:23 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Apr 19, 4:12 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:12 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:12 PM
    Get rid of the Loqbox account.

It's not good and not fit for the purpose they advertise it for
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 15th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    Ah that's a !!!!!! - what's the issue with it? Is it one of those where potential lenders see it and run a mile?
    • Levie
    • By Levie 15th Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Levie
    I have just checked my credit score and have numerous Defaults with link financial but they get paid direct debit so no defaults why would they show up thnx
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 15th Apr 19, 4:57 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    Probably needs it's own thread to be honest...

But seeing as you're here, link purchased one of my debts and are actually a debt collection agency. Chances are a debt you have had has defaulted and been sold/assigned to them.

I'd start off by questioning them if you're not sure why the accounts are in default?
    • A_DMP_Vetereran
    • By A_DMP_Vetereran 15th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    A_DMP_Vetereran
    Or if you're referring to an account you are paying still showing as default. That's likely because the account has defaulted in the past and once it has been defaulted then it will always have the DF marker against any payments. Don't worry though as only the first one matters. You can only be defaulted once for any given debt
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Loqbox shows as a loan on your files.

Also in order to get your full “investment” back you have to open a savings account via an affiliate link of theirs.

It’s all a bit of a “scam” really without being actually a scam.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Apr 19, 6:43 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I have just checked my credit score and have numerous Defaults with link financial but they get paid direct debit so no defaults why would they show up thnx
    Originally posted by Levie
    If the account is in default then it will show as in default until it is bought up to date.

Please post your own thread as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

680Posts Today

5,434Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin