SLC can't tell me what my loan was for

I started university in 2006 and graduated in 2011, this cost me £26,000 in maintenance and loans from SLC (before interest), a figure I've always thought was a bit high.

Unfortunately, being a bit naive at the time I didn't keep all of my paperwork from the SLC and although some of it is available electronically on their website its missing quite a bit.

I decided to ring them up and see if they can give me a breakdown of whats what, but they can't. What they can tell me is they've paid me for at least one semester for a course I never enrolled on, and they've given me the dates of payments with a high level description and an amount but its not enough to identify what its for.

They tell me the rest of the paperwork has been misplaced when they moved from a paper based system to an electronic one. This kind of puts me in a difficult position, as I'm conscious I could be paying off a mountain of debt that I don't actually owe.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the SLC and if so what did you do about it?

Comments

• tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Ask the university you went to for a record of all the transactions it had with the SLC concerning you.

As you finished in 2011, its possible they don't have records going back that far depending on their data retention policy, but its worth a try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure