Unable to afford prescription - one off

Hi!

So I made an error and my pills run out tomorrow instead of on payday like i thought.
Is there any help for a one off prescription payment? Im usually pretty good at remembering but christmas has me all of a fluster! Thanks.

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    unfortunately the default is to pay and claim back if there is any reason why you would be getting free prescriptions

Short of borrowing the money from someone I can't think what you can do
  • Don't quote me on this but I though there was an understanding that anyone requiring medication was obliged to get it either from a pharmacy or hospital and payment would be sorted later.
    Either that or let the person possibly die due to being refused medication.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,718 Forumite
    Until someone addresses the fact that most medications come in 28s & not 30s or 31s (which means 13 prescriptions a year not 12) then this will continue to happen to many.
  • Don't quote me on this but I though there was an understanding that anyone requiring medication was obliged to get it either from a pharmacy or hospital and payment would be sorted later.
    Either that or let the person possibly die due to being refused medication.

Who's going to die? Name one condition where someone would drop down dead if not issued a prescription?

If you use a regular pharmacy have a word with them and they may let you have it on ✔️ mine would anyway.
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Borrow, sell something, a funding site? Importantly, as the gp for larger amounts mine does that as i have to pay.

ATB
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    Until someone addresses the fact that most medications come in 28s & not 30s or 31s (which means 13 prescriptions a year not 12) then this will continue to happen to many.
    But not all prescriptions need one tablet per day?
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    some packets are multiples of 30's some are 28's . there are a fair few 56s and 60's.

Essential drugs are usually taken by people who are either on multiple medications so they buy a pre payment certificates or they get exemption from paying because of the illness.

If the OP knows the local pharmacist then they may let him have the meds without paying until next week but if he doesn't pay up then the cost will come out of the pharmacists own pocket
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    badmemory wrote: »
    As that is 13 in a year then it pays to get a PPC on a DD of 10 monthly payments. You even get the option of picking a day in the month to pay it when you have money available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure