PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Friday 10th August 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone :wave:

I take back everything I said about sleeping better when it cooled down :(.

Having got the housework up to date yesterday, the day is mine to do what I please with. The trouble is, I’m not sure what to do.

The forecast isn’t particularly brilliant for today so I won’t be going off to the seaside for the day. There is an exhibition on at a gallery near here so I may go and see that, and then come back through the town and spend a bit of time window shopping, and then people watching over coffee somewhere.

Yesterday evening I was thinking that I must get back into baking again. It is something I really enjoy but have hardly done over the summer. I’m sure that when the weather changes and I’m not able to get out and about I will soon get back into it.

ILC I hope that yesterday wasn’t too stressful and emotional for you. I was lucky when my parents both had to go into a nursing home, my brother dealt with the property.

Tru HMRC is always such a pain to deal with. I seem to end up going round in circles with them as well.

TA I’m thinking of you and Mr TA, and hope that he is more comfortable. xx

Csarina hopefully you will be able to find out what is going on when you visit your OH today.

Snoozer have a good time in Edinburgh.

AOD sorry to read about your tooth abscess, I hope that it soon settles.

I hope that you all have a decent Friday.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning, Internet playing up again.

Cool and clear here, a lovely refreshing change even for me, I have really liked being warm as I'm a cold person.

Am on doubke-strength antibiotics and hoping that they will start to knock down the infection soon.

Thinking of those who are unwell or worried
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Blue sky and light cloud, with sun starting to shine, dry underfoot already even though it rained steadily yesterday all day.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was pork loins in creamy tomato sauce with vegetable rice for the menfolk. I had pork loins and biryani (it was a ready made diet meal - not cheap or that nice to be honest, but helped me time wise). Tonight the menfolk will be having chicken and bacon kievs, chips and beans. I'll be having mushroom omelette and salad.

Yesterday was ok and the couple of important jobs got done, but then I just seemed to not stop all day with not much achieved at the end of it - hopefully today will be better.

I'll be heading to the SM first thing to do the food shop, then I need to get some ironing done, washing and drying - drying is behind as nothing got dried yesterday, will peg a load out shortly.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Holly, thank you, I hope he weather co-operates up there. Re: the baking, Sil Brian was complaining just the other day that I never seemed to provide any goodies anymore. I told him that it was because everyone complained about their weight when I baked because they couldn't resist the temptation and I just got out of the habit.

Having recently read an article about commercial bread and flour I think I shall go back to making my own bread with organic flour and experiment with sourdough.

Yesterday turned out to be strangely emotional. DH wanted to go into Skipton and when we got there took us to the jewellers which sell antique jewellery. I always look in the window and drool and for the last 18 months my favourite has been an unusual cabochon ruby ring. It was far too expensive but DH decided he wanted to buy it for me for our anniversary tomorrow (39 years but you can probably guess why he didn't want to wait another 12 months). It wasn't in the window and it transpired they sold it 10 days ago so DH got upset and so did I, nor because of the ring but because he is thinking that he might not be here next year.

Then I spoke to Laura, on her way to Mexico who was also quite emotional. She told me that she had found out she wasn't pregnant on Tuesday as well as dealing with what is happening to Steve so she was quite emotional as well. She's back next Friday and I can't wait to have her safely in the country again.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,293 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Morning Everyone,

Thanks for all your messages re putting moms house for sale. The photographs did not take long. Everything will be in action tonight or early tomorrow. Now clearing the house - which I have been doing for a while - most of her furniture will go two charities.

HollyHarvey I am an only child, so unfortunately no brothers or sister to help out. My mom had a brother who dealt with all the paperwork side of things when my grandmother went into a home.

Much too cool for me - I love the hot weather.

Plans for today - There is a barbecue at moms home - so that is where I will be off to. My mother will probably remind that it was me who installed into the home-but that is part of the illness.

Have a god day everyone x
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning :)

AOD hope the anti bs kick in soon that sounds really nasty

TA thoughts with you as always

nanny im with Mr Fix it here on the pure joy of chalk drawing...thinks Mary Poppins :D
    What would you draw if you knew you could jump in? I think mine would have to be a millionaires yacht cruising the Caribbean with Colin Firth, Hugh Grant and possibly Mr Clooney on chef duty

Anyway back to reality...Lovely blue sky again here today we seem to be getting the better deal with the weather at the moment and looks like rain is just happening in the night.

Started a bit of a tidy yesterday amongst some work bits so will look to finish that off today. Hopefully I can get away without any last minute work demands a Free Friday would be lovely.

Didnt go down the healthy route food wise yesterday in fact just the opposite really fancied curry and chips :o Could have been worse I could have gone to the chippy but was too lazy so had oven chips and a heated up jar of curry sauce for dipping......twas lush :) Not sure about tonight but hoping to stick to salady stuff to compensate :o

Have a lovely Friday all
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Dry and bright here atm but meant to be raining from midday for the rest of the day, if so it will be quiet at work again.

Its Friday :jwhich means takeaway and wine night :D I love Fridays and the clients at work are a really nice bunch too.

Need to do a wash tonight and after dinner dd and boyf are going to move some if their bits over to the house, the lady that owns it has given them a key early so that they can start putting bits in, I shall be glad to get my house back to normal !!

AOD hope the tablets work and you are soon pain free xx

Hugs to anyone else in need xx

Have good days all xx
  • Morning folks and aaargh just written a mile long post to bore you all and it's been eaten up! Suffice to say I am still with you, catching up with your news when I can on my phone but too tired to post when I get back home.

Mr TA still in hospital. Visiting 11 till 8.00 every day. Will try and post another long catch up tomorrow and hope it's not swallowed up again.

Take care folks xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning hello.gif[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've put paperwork in a pile and shoved it in a corner, I can't face another round of uselessness with HMRC today :D I'll sort it next week.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm popping to the florist this morning to choose some flowers for nan's funeral on monday. It'll be a very small posy, four lilies with some gypsophila. This looks nice in my mind but I'll see what they look like together before buying.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I wasn't there so can't say for sure but aunt isn't impressed, judgng by her loud, short sharp “OH” then very long “OHHHHHHHHHHH” when she was told I was buying my own flowers. She was also told that we may be the grandchildren but we're not actually children, we're all adults with kids of our own and one of us is a grandmother herself. She quickly changed the subject. I'm not interfering with the funeral flowers at all, mine are staying with me through the church service and I intend to put them down with the others after the short crem service. Dad and uncle are happy with this so that's what I'm doing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll go out early then walk Scampi when I get back. I need to de-fur the carpets and clean the bathroom, there's something else but I can't remember what! I want a lazy afternoon so everything will be done before lunch.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Tru your posy choice sounds beautiful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories