Overhead power line compensation.

Comments

• We live in a village and the overhead powerline that serves the village on wooden poles run across the front of our house effectively on our land and within about a metre of our house. I would like to get the electricity company to move them. Can I make them do this. If not can I claim compensation. I don't think they are particularly high voltage.
  • Just to add to a very interesting subject I have a Wooden Electric Pole at the bottom of my garden for which I have been payed a yearly pittance for some years. In October Western Power moved the Pole about 4 feet to the other side of my fence and off my land but have still yet to remove the old one which still carries three cables.Now all of a sudden I get a letter from Property Compensation com wanting to take up my case stating i can get compo even if the cables run close to my property.
  • blackgothic
    blackgothic Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just had a guy from PCC knock on my door telling me im entitled to £200 one off payment due to wooden poles carrying electrical cables outside my property which i thought wasnt bad considering i didnt know i could claim anything so signed up. I live alongside the A51 and he said he had signed up quite a lot today by calling on all those qualifying along the road.
    A little grunt a little squeeze and out it comes like lemon cheese
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just had a guy from PCC knock on my door telling me im entitled to £200 one off payment due to wooden poles carrying electrical cables outside my property which i thought wasnt bad considering i didnt know i could claim anything so signed up. I live alongside the A51 and he said he had signed up quite a lot today by calling on all those qualifying along the road.

I hope they aren't charging you a commission? Those low voltage cable payments are fixed - no negotiation necessary. Many companies don't charge a commission to handle them for you as the electricity company pay them a small fee for each one.
  • blackgothic
    blackgothic Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

No surveyors Fee

[IMG][/img]vqmx6t.jpg
    A little grunt a little squeeze and out it comes like lemon cheese
  • mobilejo
    Hi

No surveyors Fee

[IMG][/img]vqmx6t.jpg

okay, that's good.
  • We have also received this document from the PCC, but have been contacted by another company. So we called western power directly, as having googled it (Before stumbling across this thread) an article in the Guardian suggested that the Electricity company prefer to deal directly with clients.
    (Amazing posts by Mobilejo, which are extremely formative by the way!)
    We are however absolutely flummoxed as to what we are or are not entitled to. We have stumbled on an energy network compensation chart, which basically indicates we are entitled to about £15.00 ish per year. So where are all of these £1,000's of figures coming from? and where does it state anywhere that 3+% of house value is payable?

As stated we are flummoxed and would be very grateful if someone could point us in the right direction. As we are rather reluctant to go it alone, as if we are entitled we have no idea what value offer we should accept, should there even be an offer forthcoming.

Thank you all in advance
  • I have been paid around £17 a year for the Pole in my Garden which is about to be moved if they get me anything less commission its more than i did not have.:j
  • mobilejo
    underwood1 wrote: »
    We have also received this document from the PCC, but have been contacted by another company. So we called western power directly, as having googled it (Before stumbling across this thread) an article in the Guardian suggested that the Electricity company prefer to deal directly with clients.
    (Amazing posts by Mobilejo, which are extremely formative by the way!)
    We are however absolutely flummoxed as to what we are or are not entitled to. We have stumbled on an energy network compensation chart, which basically indicates we are entitled to about £15.00 ish per year. So where are all of these £1,000's of figures coming from? and where does it state anywhere that 3+% of house value is payable?

As stated we are flummoxed and would be very grateful if someone could point us in the right direction. As we are rather reluctant to go it alone, as if we are entitled we have no idea what value offer we should accept, should there even be an offer forthcoming.

Thank you all in advance

Hi, what type of pole/line do you have at your property? The amounts vary wildly depending on the answer to this question first and foremost so lets start there.
  • underwood1
    underwood1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 26 February 2016 at 5:43PM
    Hi Mobilejo

We have in the garden approx 25m from the house a pole, which has a metal cross piece at the top, which supports 3 wires, these run across the entire garden and connect to the neighbours double pole which contains a large grey square box.

In the front garden we have a pole with a single wire, which runs across the front garden and connects to the neigbours pole, which has two further wires one runs to the neighbours house and feeds both them and us our electric, the other wire runs across the road and services the other 2 neighbouring properties. As to the wires strength, Western power tree surgeons removed trees interfering with it las year and they said the wire was carrying 30,000 volts? but this may not be correct, we do not know for sure. But it too draws its power from the other neighbours double pole with the grey box!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback