How the flip are you meant to get a debt consolidation loan if your declined because your debt high!

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lawero1 wrote: »
    The proposition is pretty simple really. I can continue to pay 25% interest. Or I can find a company who will pay these debts off and offer me a lower interest rate.

People generally don't though. That's the statistical fact that commercial lending is based on. The interest rates on offer group you with everyone else in the same borrowing category. Defaults have to be paid for.
  • okidoodle
    okidoodle Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Have you just been to new lenders and been looking online? It might be worth approaching one of the banks you already have credit with, explaining that you are looking to manage your debt better, and that you would like a loan to pay off some existing credit and consolidate. I did that with my bank and their deal was that they could do that if they reduced some of my other available credit, so lowered the limit on my credit card and overdraft which were both paid off by the loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, I tried this, but they said no. Guess they are making more interest off me now so it's not in their best interests.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 August 2018 at 6:39PM
    Options
    Guess they are making more interest off me now so it's not in their best interests.
    You are not being turned down because they are earning so much interest from you. You are being refused loans because the lenders don't think you can afford it...You are too much in debt that they don't want to touch you...

You are 48k in debt on the cards plus you have two outstanding loans. If you get another loan it would just mean more debt.

Post your SOA if you want meaningful advice (I posted the link earlier).
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    okidoodle wrote: »
    Have you just been to new lenders and been looking online? It might be worth approaching one of the banks you already have credit with, explaining that you are looking to manage your debt better, and that you would like a loan to pay off some existing credit and consolidate. I did that with my bank and their deal was that they could do that if they reduced some of my other available credit, so lowered the limit on my credit card and overdraft which were both paid off by the loan.

It wont always work with everyone, the OP needs to increase his income or make saings somewhere.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I tried this, but they said no. Guess they are making more interest off me now so it's not in their best interests.

Any luck with the business manager ?

It is OK tho. I think I have just figured out a solution through our business manager.
  • TriggerHappy
    Options
    Hiya,

Just reading through I can see how it must be getting pretty frustrating as people are arguing against what you believe to be the best way forward.
    In my experience, everyone here has your best interests at heart but equally they see time and time again where someone hasn't accepted that they've dug a hole and it's so deep that the banks see you as too much of a risk.

One thing which I don't think I've seen is this - are you making a lot of applications for new credit (I.e. consolidation loans)? If you are and failing then that will trash your credit profile further and make you look even riskier.

Secondly, I can't see where you have stated your income and type of employment you're in? If you're salary is £50k and you have debts of £31,500 with other outgoings such as rent and bills being 40% of your income then a loan on top of your existing credit commitments would be seen to be irresponsible lending.

You may be at the stage where you need to just chill out and do nothing in regards to addressing your debt for 6 months or so. Just make your payments, slightly above minimum ideally. While you do this, consider speaking to a Credit Union as they may be more forthcoming but they may need to see you actually saving for a period before being willing to loan to you.

The last thing I would say is that you probably need to be less 'positive' in regards to your debt. Saying things like "I planned to get into £31,500 because I wanted to live while I was young enough to enjoy it" sounds like "I've maxed my credit options, nobody will offer me more and it's not fair".

Good luck!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I echo the 6 month thing. Spend 6 months with the current cards overpaying as much as you can, then try again. If nothing else you'll be proving your affordability and owing less, and your credit history will have improved a bit.
  • zmblake
    zmblake Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can see where you are coming from, I would like to get a debt consolidation loan however no-one will lend to me due to my debt to salary ratio. I would like a £10,000 loan over 4 or 5 yrs to pay off all my debt into one manageable monthly payment, I do not want to go down the route of a DMP as my credit rating is slowly recovering so I want to keep on improving it. Im struggling to pay for petrol / food at the moment.

I even wrote to my bank to try and appeal their loan decision for me, and said that I would be happy for them to send the money to my debtors directly so I don't actually get the money myself (long shot, I know) and then close my accounts down. I have really learn my lesson with the credit cards and am determined not to open them again.

I can understand where you are coming from totally.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Yes it is understandable, the frustration you feel. But lenders have to look at affordability and your respective histories of managing credit. If they did not do that, they would be labelled "irresponsible lenders"... :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family