Do you sell on eBay first or do you use other websites?

Options
I know this is an eBay forum but i'm curious as to whether you as sellers sell on eBay first or whether you use other sites such as Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, Shpock first?

Personally i try elsewhere first and the reason is simply the cost. eBay taking their cut, PayPal taking their cut. I'd rather sell something for £100 on one of the other sites than on eBay as at least i'll get £100. On eBay i have to mark my minimum up to allow for the cut.

So generally what i do is try the others for a while & if the item still hasn't sold then shift to eBay as well as. The one thing i don't like about Facebook Marketplace though is that they have a direct link to who you are.

So just wondering what others here use as a first stop and if it's eBay then why? Not to say it's right or wrong, good or bad, just wondering why?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why because for every 100 potential views on any other platform you get 10,000 on ebay.

Why waste the time advertising elsewhere when you turn to ebay because it did not sell. List on ebay and sell it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a mix of sites depending on the item. Frankly though eBay get 99% of my items as it's easier for me on items that can be posted, much less mucking around. I list mainly as BIN with immediate payment, so someone buys and I send, simple.

I use Facebook marketplace and Shpock quite a lot as well, but it takes a lot more effort with arranging payment, dealing with silly offers, waiting for payment (if item needs posting) or sitting and waiting for a potential no show if item is to be collected.

As for the eBay fees, he I'm sure we all begrudge them especially with so many errors and glitches on the site, but I suspect overall I actually achieve the same price in the end because I tend to ask, and achieve, a better price on eBay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would use both, you get crack-pot buyers on both sites.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Why waste the time advertising elsewhere when you turn to ebay because it did not sell. List on ebay and sell it.
    Because i have plenty of it (time). I'm in no rush to sell yet if i was then i'd hit all of them at the same time.

Though i must admit, Facebook Marketplace seem to be 99% timewasters 1% decent people in my experience.
  • Radintel
    Options
    I personally started on eBay, but now I also sell for etsy which I recommend. It is cheaper.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I only use Gumtree now but tbh don't sell very much now. When I had a shop I sold a lot on Ebay until the buyers feedback was stopped.

It was that and Ebay/Paypal making it easy for buyers to get refunds. for almost any reason.
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    I know this is an eBay forum but i'm curious as to whether you as sellers sell on eBay first or whether you use other sites such as Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, Shpock first?

Personally i try elsewhere first and the reason is simply the cost. eBay taking their cut, PayPal taking their cut. I'd rather sell something for £100 on one of the other sites than on eBay as at least i'll get £100. On eBay i have to mark my minimum up to allow for the cut.

So generally what i do is try the others for a while & if the item still hasn't sold then shift to eBay as well as. The one thing i don't like about Facebook Marketplace though is that they have a direct link to who you are.

So just wondering what others here use as a first stop and if it's eBay then why? Not to say it's right or wrong, good or bad, just wondering why?

Not if you register a buying and selling ID :cool: (although it's against the rools!)
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I decided to move away from eBay to FB and another site, but having been messed around with 'I'll have it, oh wait no I won't' a bit the last few days I think I'm just going to go back to eBay!

If the stuff wasn't worth so much I'd just donate it and dodge the hassle. :(
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    I decided to move away from eBay to FB and another site, but having been messed around with 'I'll have it, oh wait no I won't' a bit the last few days I think I'm just going to go back to eBay!

If the stuff wasn't worth so much I'd just donate it and dodge the hassle. :(
    I had so many of those i was going to screenshot them and put them in my listing.
    I messaged one back after he was definitely going to turn up, please don't sell them i'll have them for sure yada yada yada. The next day i asked - are you ok pal? Hope you haven't died, just that you never turned up when you said you certainly would and i can only imagine since you wanted them so badly that the only explanation must surely be that you've kicked the bucket?

No response.

Then you'd get the "are they still for sale" questions. I'd quickly reply yes but then i'd hear nothing more from them ever again.

Then the guy who wanted me to take an item from my place to his (i told him i wont post) which was around an hours drive. Said he'd chuck me £xx for fuel money when i get there.

I saw him selling a few months later and half considered asking if he'd be willing to deliver to London, Ontario.

So many wasters that i almost threw some items away. In the end i managed to sell it ....... on eBay :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure