Claiming back insurance excess for courtesy car no-fault prang

Advice needed please.

Here's the summary:

Had my car stolen, it was recovered but needed repairs.

Garage gave me a courtesy car provided under my insurance. Someone reversed across the road into the side of it whilst it was parked (I wasn't even in it), he wasn't looking behind him. Damage caused to the side of my courtesy car, 3rd party informed me and admitted fault.

When I went to return the courtesy car, the garage required me to pay their insurance excess for the damaged courtesy car before they would release my repaired car, so I had to fork out £350 in cash.

The third party is now saying that the £350 excess that I had to pay because of the damage he caused, isn't his responsibility, but mine. I disagree, of course.

What are your thoughts on where I stand on recovering the £350, and how?

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Deal directly with his insurance. They are liable. The man is talking rubbish
    If they dont play ball, tell them you will now employ a claims management company to recover the money and they will have to cover the companys fees.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I see where he's coming from, the garage shouldn't have charged you an excess for a third party claim. As said speak to his insurance company who no doubt have already paid 100% of the damage and your garage has pocketed the £350.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    I see where he's coming from, the garage shouldn't have charged you an excess for a third party claim. As said speak to his insurance company who no doubt have already paid 100% of the damage and your garage has pocketed the £350.

Rubbish. If the repairing garage didn't charge the OP the £350 excess, they would have had to bear the first £350 anyway and claim it from the at fault third party.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2018 at 5:07AM

I have just taken delivery of a courtesy car and it has a £500 excess in event of ANY damage however caused.
    I was given the option of zero excess .......... For an extra £7 per day.
    +++++++++++++++

Your insurer should help you recover the excess from 3rd party, i.e. whomever crashed into your hire vehicle.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you took out legal cover then instruct them to reclaim your excess - if you have no cover then write to the third party insurers directly.

What may happen is the repairing garage reclaims the cost of the repairs in full and you cannot get your excess back from the third party insurer as the garage would of been paid out - not sure if the garage would refund your excess in this situation - what does your rental agreement say?

Either way I would call the TP insurers ASAP and email a copy of the excess receipt so they note your financial interest.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    debtdebt wrote: »
    Rubbish. If the repairing garage didn't charge the OP the £350 excess, they would have had to bear the first £350 anyway and claim it from the at fault third party.

Not if they claimed off the third part they wouldn’t.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Yeah I didn!!!8217;t read your reply properly! If the hire company have already recovered the full amount, the OP will have to recover the excess from them.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    missile wrote: »
    I have just taken delivery of a courtesy car and it has a £500 excess in event of ANY damage however caused.
    I was given the option of zero excess .......... For an extra £7 per day.
    +++++++++++++++

Your insurer should help you recover the excess from 3rd party, i.e. whomever crashed into your hire vehicle.

Let's so someone hits the courtesy car and causes £2000 worth of damage. If the third party pay for the repair and you've already paid £500. They are up £500, so that money should come back to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure