From debt to freedom...

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How many children do you have left at home when DD goes to Uni?
  • Just the 7 then!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • louby40
    Oh my goodness. And you work close to full time! How on earth do you manage it?

Loads of respect coming to you. You totally deserve every penny you get in benefits.
  • Thank you Louby...life is always busy!!

So glad to have a few days of sunshine. It is a relief to be able to get the washing pegged out and dried.
  • A busy week has flown by! Feeling so very thankful that the TCs have been sorted out so that I can take DD1 to university. She finished work last week and in theory has had all week to sort through what to take or not! By Thursday evening she had done no packing :eek: but has managed to get it all in the car by Friday lunchtime!

I have spent £90 on diesel to fill the car up for the journey. I am impressed with the fuel consumption on long journeys, much better than day to day driving on rural roads! I have tried to get bits and pieces together over the last few weeks, so all I need to do tomorrow is get some crockery and a first grocery shop for her. I did get her a couple of little presents that I've wrapped and will hide in her room so that she can find them later...jelly beans as she loves them and some peanut butter hot chocolate drink that I usually only get her at Christmas as it's quite expensive.

I have been surprised at how student life has changed since I was a student! Fresher's week activities are all online with the option to buy tickets in advance.

TC payment came in yesterday so I know what I am budgeting with. Nursery fees are paid up to date:) and the next main expense is a school trip for DD3. My aim, when payday comes, is to increase the standing order to the emergency fund to try and build that up after its recent depletion. Now that the 2nd loan is paid and finished I'd like to get that double glazing loan down as the interest rate is huge.

Sounds silly what I'm about to write next but I really want to plan for days out with my little ones. Taking DD1 to uni is a reminder that childhood goes so quickly. I've been focussed on survival, in emotional and financial terms, for so long that I'd like to plan and save for days out. We are blessed to have beaches close to us that will always be my first port of call but I think the occasional day out to museums and the like would be a positive step, The youngest have accompanied DD1 and I on the university trip and DD5 in particular is so excited to see more of the world.:)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    After the stresses of the last few weeks with the tax credit situation, I think looking for cheap or free activities to do with the children is a good project to embark on as a counter-balance.

Anything in your area for October half term?
  • louby40
    Good luck to your DD as she embarks on the next exciting stage of her life. And to you. It’s hard when kids leave home.

My DS is living with his dad Mon ~ Fri whilst he’s doing his apprenticeship and although he’s only 8 miles away I do miss him. He comes back at weekends but I hardly see him as it’s all about the mates.

I wish I lived by the sea.
  • So glad to hear things are sorted out :)
    Saving for days out doesn't seem silly at all.
    Good luck to your DD at uni. What is she studying?
  • Mmmm Iam really happy for you wish you all the best
  • Thank you all for the good wishes for DD1. Had a busy day but hopefully got DD sorted out with everything she needs.I think it will hit me more when I drive home without her.

I'm thinking of a few ideas Spendless. The National Trust often have activities going on at half term. I have a family membership as it's always worked out to be cost effective as they charge one amount per family regardless of size. Even the savings on the car parking soon mounts up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family