Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    70 is on their system i expect.

i think i was on 70 some time ago
  • Keith99
    Keith99 Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Peco141 wrote: »
    70Mb isn't even one of their offers?

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

200 ++ 20up..

When i spoke to the guy in retention's team he indicated at some point soon they will put everyone on 50mb up to 70mb but as a way to get me to stay he offered it early. It probably isn't an offer for new customers but to encourage people to stay,
  • Smart_Mart
    Smart_Mart Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Smart_Mart wrote: »
    I've had enough of Virgin Media now and will be making the call later this morning to cancel the service.

Currently, my package is as follows...

Big Kahuna Sports Bundle
    Talk Weekends
    Full House TV (XL)
    1 Additional V Box V HD Monthly Fee TiVo Monthly Fee
    VIVID 152 Optical Fibre
    Sky Sports 1 Sky Sports 2

Total £94.47

Phone line rental
    Telephone Line Rental
    Phone line rental total £19.00

Your package total - £113.47

I've got to have internet at home as I build & maintain websites. What I can't stomach anymore is the way the bill rises each month and with nothing to show for it. My last six bills have all been bigger than the previous one despite no changes to my package. :eek:

It's a farce I can't put up with any longer.

Well after promising to make the call that day, I finally got round to doing it just then. Another large bill forced me to call them... as said previously, my bill goes up each month seemingly without any improvement in service.

Last day with VM, after a decade or more, will be 24th February 2017.
  • xman
    xman Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    With Virgin Sim only for around 3 years+, was paying £10 for sim only

Called to cancel as needed a phone and not much was offered. Called again "thinking about leaving" and the offer improved a little. Called again to ask for PAC and accepted this offer:

24 Months
    iPhone SE 16GB
    1500 minutes
    unlimited SMS
    2GB 4G data

The tariff is £20 (£17 for the iPhone + £3 tariff)
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Keith99 wrote: »
    When i spoke to the guy in retention's team he indicated at some point soon they will put everyone on 50mb up to 70mb but as a way to get me to stay he offered it early. It probably isn't an offer for new customers but to encourage people to stay,

I've just got off the phone to Virgin. They have taken £30/month off my bill by agreeing to be downgraded from 150 to to 70 Mbps. The 150 Meg service is really good but I can live without it, especially with 30 quid a month back in my pocket. Quite a saving for 5 minute phone call.
  • Smart_Mart wrote: »
    Well after promising to make the call that day, I finally got round to doing it just then. Another large bill forced me to call them... as said previously, my bill goes up each month seemingly without any improvement in service.

Last day with VM, after a decade or more, will be 24th February 2017.

Mart - if you don't get a call back in a few days, then make sure you do arrange to move your phone at least to a new competitor - perhaps TalkTalk and ask them to transfer your phone number. That should then trigger VM to call you from their outbound retentions team (sometimes called porting team). If 5 days after calling TalkTalk you have not had a call from VM, then I would call VM again, and make sure they have received the transfer request from TalkTalk - and make sure that they raise the form to the "porting team". They may even ask you when you would like the team to call you back - and just ask for ASAP.

This porting team should be able to give you a pretty good deal. If they don't, then just continue with your switch over....

Also TalkTalk will have at least 14 days if not longer to cancel the order, so you won't be in trouble for cancelling TalkTalk... I hadn't realised but TalkTalk also have access to Sky Movies and Sky Sports if you wanted it, so a potential alternative...
  • Martin_D1
    Martin_D1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 28 January 2017 at 10:08PM
    Is this a good deal

Full House Bundle
    • Talk More Anytime
    • Free Voicemail
    • Full House TV (XL)
    • Virgin TV V6 Box, powered by TiVo (We have 2 V6's)
    • TiVo Credit ( This takes £10 off my bill)
    • VIVID 300 Optical Fibre

Bundle charges total £72.50

Promotional offer(s)

You'Re Receiving A £5 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This
    Discount Which Will End 17-APR-17

You'Re Receiving A £9 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 17-APR-18

Full House TV (XL) Offer - £3 for 6 Month, Ends On 17-APR-17

Promotional offer(s) total £17.00CR

Bundle total up to april is £75
    Bundle total from may will be £82.50

Just to add we are not in a contract
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Martin_D1 wrote: »
    Is this a good deal

Full House Bundle
    • Talk More Anytime
    • Free Voicemail
    • Full House TV (XL)
    • Virgin TV V6 Box, powered by TiVo (We have 2 V6's)
    • TiVo Credit ( This takes £10 off my bill)
    • VIVID 300 Optical Fibre

Bundle charges total £72.50

Promotional offer(s)

You'Re Receiving A £5 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This
    Discount Which Will End 17-APR-17

You'Re Receiving A £9 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 17-APR-18

Full House TV (XL) Offer - £3 for 6 Month, Ends On 17-APR-17

Promotional offer(s) total £17.00CR

Bundle total up to april is £75
    Bundle total from may will be £82.50

Just to add we are not in a contract
    Do you have a requirement for 4K in two rooms and the high broadband speed? Bear in mind very limited content is broadcast in 4K.

If not, you could save £200+ a year with a comparable deal with Sky. (Fibre broadband speed unlikely to match - is it required?)
  • ap823
    ap823 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2017 at 12:58AM
    I have been a VirginMedia customer for over five years, prices going up all the time.. best price could get without disconnecting was £49/month plus £196/year line rental saver for the services listed below

Called to disconnect, received a call from loyalty department in 5 days offering new price:

£52/month fixed for 12 month
    with 12 month contract
    for the same services I already have:
    • 150 Mbps broadband
    • FullHouse TV
    • 2 * 1TB Tivo boxes (NOT V6)
    • phone line rental included

It is £160/year better than the previous offer, is it as good as it gets?

update:

got a follow up call a day later with an improved deal which I accepted:

£52/month guaranteed fixed for 12 month
    with 12 month contract
    one off £30 credit
    for upgraded services:
    • 200 Mbps broadband (instead of current 150 Mbps)
    • FullHouse TV
    • one new V6 Tivo box and one 1TB Tivo box (instead of current two 1TB Tivo boxes, NOT V6)
    • phone line rental included

Installation of new V6 Tivo box in one month (earliest available) and the new contract will start then as well.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    I will soon be making the call to VM = currently paying 40 quid for a phone talk weekends that i have never used even once, and the fibre 50 which i use every day and absolutely love it.

I will first tell them to take the phone back, so if i do would they then drop the price of my broadband as well ?? Or, would they likely only drop the phone and say the fibre 50 is staying at full price ?? I would like to know what to expect when i call them, and what to say, i would also take their vivid 100 at a push as well but i do not want to pay the price they are asking for it.

Been with Virgin almost 12 months, its my first contract so i doubt loyalty would be anything i could haggle with, thanks if someone could give me suggestions what to say to them or a better deal that existing customers can get on the fibre broadband on its own.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure