We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    I remember selling a beautifull saddle I had bought and not used yet and bought a ticket to Australia for 6 months ,living in the north west territories [look for PARABADOO ...see if you can find it.. :rotfl:]
    I bought my first car myself ,a mini 1000. I thought I was so cool with my "go faster" stripes on the car... drove it round [practising] for a year before I took my test ;)
    I looked Paraburdoo up and saw the soil there is the same colour as it is in Crediton......There, the similarity ends!:rotfl:

As a mere schoolboy and p/t worker at Tesco during the Mini's finest era, I was unable to participate personally, but I remember it followed hard on the heels of the Mod years of '64/65/66. In those summers, everything changed; our town square suddenly being transformed evenings and weekends by Lambretta and Vespa owners, who'd park up and compare the ridiculousness of their machines. Then, they'd take off en masse to the coast, where there'd be a huge meet-up. Usually, I managed to go pillion....no helmet of course!:o

But hey, I owned a parka and I was manic about The Who...Still am!:cool:

My Dad tried to help, but he didn't understand street cred. One day, I came home from school to find a moped in the hallway. Dad made big about it having had only one previous (district nurse) owner; he just didn't get it that I wouldn't even try it out! :undecided:rotfl:

I'd been saving all my spare cash and just about had the £60 for a tired-looking Lambretta 150 in a local garage.....Then, news filtered in about one of the Barnstaple mods, riding the white lines, like we did, got it horribly wrong, hit the car he was overtaking and went under an 8 wheeler going the other way....

Almost overnight, the scooter craze died, the minis were suddenly everywhere and I'd met a girl whose crazy sister had access to Dad's car....so it wasn't all bad! :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Lovely day here , Sunday. :D I thought I felt well enough to return to the long-term road hedge rejuvenation, so I did. Managed about 90 minutes and finally reached a floppy branch on one of the retained oaks that escaped me in the spring, annoying me ever since.

After that and mucking-out the hens, I was cream-crackered, as was DW, who'd had a far more exiting time, cleaning 2 bathrooms. :p So, we nodded-off.:o

Dunno what this bug is, but it has ruined our appetites. I've shed 6lbs, which is by no means a bad thing.

Saw a baby goldfinch that had not long fledged on Saturday, which suggests they have carried-on breeding through winter here. No sign of anything very cold in the long range forecast either.

Hey, just realised......Happy Choille Day!:beer:
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Dave re Choille day. It's pouring down so no bonfire. it's very overcast and snow is forecast but we have had a dry spell of a few days.

!!!!! willow is coming out and saw a goat who must have just had a kid - all good signs.

The bug sounds similar to what we had last year & I lost my appetite and a load of weight which was a plus but it did leave you very tired and worn out quickly for a while. You just have to go with it.
    That's interesting with the baby Goldfinch. I think you must have had it much milder than here.

We had storms in the night and the electric went off briefly but was back on soon after I'd got the candles sorted out. I see feed sacks & he like blown everywhere this morning so must retrieve those.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    bit like a hard crossword puzzle trying to guess the !!!!! .... :rotfl:
  • choille
    Options
    It's hard core - think fanny willow!
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Could be Crack Willow (salix fragilis) but I wouldn't recommend smoking it. :cool:

Just played BT versus EE this morning at the 11th hour and got a better deal. :p £10/month is worth an hour's negotiating. :D

Silly thing is, BT own EE so they are bidding against themselves. :undecided
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    It's hard core - think fanny willow!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: amazing they allow the Fanny word but not the feline version :rotfl:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Evening all

Happy Choille Day!!!!

Weather was nice yesturday and then went down hill .very windy last night and loads of rain...

I signed up to a 10 week floristry class last week.so second class is tomorrow night. The tutor demonstrates one week and then we do the arrangement the following week (2 hours per class. Split into 2 one hour demonstration and one hour making what she deomstrated the week before )

Once the 10 weeks are up you can then enrol for another 10 weeks. This is a life long learning this with a local council. My council do a 30 week course. But that starts in September

It's nice to get out and do something different for a few hours
    Work to live= not live to work
  • choille
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Could be Crack Willow (salix fragilis) but I wouldn't recommend smoking it. :cool:

Just played BT versus EE this morning at the 11th hour and got a better deal. :p £10/month is worth an hour's negotiating. :D

Silly thing is, BT own EE so they are bidding against themselves. :undecided

Dave are you serious about the crack Willow or was that just craic?

The phone thing sounds good.

We have had major electric peaks during the Summer which is weird as we don't have much that is electric - no electric heating, no electric cooker, no tumble drier. I don't iron, I don't hoover as it's wooden floors. I don't even have a toaster - use the LPG gas cooker's grill.
    Solid fuel cooker that fires the radiators and heats the water although there is an electric pump on that & use the immersion water heater which will be sole water heating in the summer when stove isn't on. We just have agricultural supply not full supply. They put on a meter to see if there was a variance & there isn't so we are due £400 electric bill which is eye watering.
  • choille
    Options
    Good to hear from you CTC the flower course sounds really nice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback