Why would anyone cycle to work?

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 8:56AM
    What about car passengers and drivers? Surely they should wear helmets as well? People often die from head injuries in car accidents. Princess di for one.

Then wear one, if you want. Why do you care if people do or dont. I know why I wear one on my bike.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Then wear one, if you want. Why do you care if people do or dont. I know why I wear one on my bike.

Wear it if you want to. You ought to care as there is a public interest aspect to this, as there is with seat belts - hospitals have to pay for care for those who suffer head injuries, which can be life long.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd love to be able to cycle to and from work - It would save a fortune and help considerably with regular exercise/stamina etc. I'd still like the car option for really grotty/freezing days though.

If I lived just a little nearer work and could work a route that didn't involve full-on and highly cycle-unfriendly traffic, plus several hellish traffic blackspot where you would be taking your life in your hands, I'd happily be back on two wheels again. :)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wear it if you want to. You ought to care as there is a public interest aspect to this, as there is with seat belts - hospitals have to pay for care for those who suffer head injuries, which can be life long.

I agree there is a public interest element, but there is a trade-off between the risk, consequences and simply what people are prepared to do.
    For example I've always thought underwired bras are a security risk on planes, however the vast majority of people would not consider it reasonable to have their underwear checked.

Princess Di is a bad example of someone choosing not to wear a seatbelt and also choosing a drunk driver (when sober trained chaffeurs were available) and also driving at very high speed.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 10 October 2017 at 11:35AM

I am not sitting here worrying what happens to strangers who do or who dont. Anymore than I worry if strangers smoke, drink too much, don't exercise or eat health.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    Having thought about this a bit more, given the considerable anti-cyclist feeling in the UK you'd have thought anything you can do to look like a sensible cyclist rather than a reckless one is likely to gain you respect from car drivers. So if anything I think by wearing a helmet drivers are likely to give you more room rather than less. I can't seriously believe people read too much into some obviously dubious research from America in the 70s.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I am not sitting here worrying what happens to strangers who do or who dont. Anymore than I worry if strangers smoke, drink too much, don't exercise or eat health.

Those strangers who smoke and drink pay colossal amounts of tax voluntarily, then shuffle off this mortal coil before getting to draw their pension. They're paying for yours. Respect.

Raise your glass (of water) and salute them.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Having thought about this a bit more, given the considerable anti-cyclist feeling in the UK you'd have thought anything you can do to look like a sensible cyclist rather than a reckless one is likely to gain you respect from car drivers. So if anything I think by wearing a helmet drivers are likely to give you more room rather than less. I can't seriously believe people read too much into some obviously dubious research from America in the 70s.

Wouldnt the term 'lycra lout' go against that mindset?
  • scd3scd4
    edited 10 October 2017 at 12:00PM
    Those strangers who smoke and drink pay colossal amounts of tax voluntarily, then shuffle off this mortal coil before getting to draw their pension. They're paying for yours. Respect.

Raise your glass (of water) and salute them.

You are barking up the wrong tree.

I prefer Prosecco. I never said they did not, it's just not something I worry about and still dont. If people think they are safer not wearing one then its fine. Now what??

Ohh and I pay for other people's pension including a private one. Lets salute that.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I must admit I don't wear a helmet when cycling but I mainly cycle on the cycle superhighway where there are NO motor vehicles.
    It's possible I could fall off my bike and hit my head but I think it's extremely unlikely. As an adult I've fallen off my bike once in 30 years and I landed on my as* not on my head, so I consider it extremely unlikely.
    I have however put a great deal of effort into advanced riding qualifications to anticipate and avoid accidents as that makes a great deal of sense to me.

Anyone else think it's better to avoid them rather than merely try to reduce the consequences? It's not one or the other, but I would have thought avoidance was better than reduction which may or may not be effective in any individual scenario.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure